Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid things a learner driver does!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

But as far the the OP’s story goes, he was doing a safe overtake - In the middle of an overtake then the nutjob in the left lane sped up causing a seriously dangerous situation. People took the mick out of the OP for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Moral of story.

OP needs better car.

(No little Learner mobile be out pulling me)

Also this didn't happen

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

When the other idiot accelerates, it stops being a safe overtake and becomes a situation that you need to quickly and safely get yourself out of. Unless you've got an incredibly powerful car, the safest way out of the dangerous situation is to get yourself back in behind the idiot and leave them to it, rather than joining them and potentially bringing an innocent third party into a potentially fatal situation.

Who’s to say at that moment there wasn’t another car that blocked the gap? We don’t know that from the story so can’t be assuming it. We can only go by what was lay out in the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You are NEVER 'entitled' to overtake anyone or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as pointed out, we then have a convoy of probably three cars doing greater than motorway speeds on country roads?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Just to reiterate the story, bones of it is that there was a car with L plates on it driving really slow on the outskirts of town causing cars to mount up behind it. 5pm on a Friday evening is busy on the roads. The road has lots of bends so everyone is driving slowly behind Mr learner for 10 minutes, a bicycle could have went faster. When we got around the bend to a straight part, nothing coming, I indicated , dropped gear and proceeded to overtake.

As I was going past , he down geared to race me, I sounded the horn and got in , in front of him. It's hard to freeze time and think should I pop back in behind this driver or keep going. The car behind me was going to over take as well and I just needed to get back on the left side of the road.

I'm not one for speeding, or hogging the road. I dont drive a powerful car. The learner driver is a nasty piece of work and I do hope he fails his test cos he does not deserve a drivers license for being an arsehole.

I did overtake the little ****, and he slowed down to his slow speed again delaying the traffic again. If you think it's fine to drive at 35-40mph and drive at 60-70mph when someone overtake you, then I'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭HBC08

You don't say what you were driving yourself.If you're going to be an aggressive prìck on the road you're going to need something that can zip past a Micra weighted down with a load of passengers even if the Mirca floors it.

Otherwise you'll just be made a fool of again.

It was not a micra, and I'm not an aggressive prick on the road. I was overtaking a car driving slow! What's the issue with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Or an alternative summary might be that there was a learner driver who was adjusting to road conditions by driving slowly along dangerous bendy stretches of the road and who drove a little faster once the road conditions got sufficiently good enough to allow it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

Many years ago I was driving on a straight stretch of road and the driver of the car in front of me was acting the whack, driving really slowly (in good weather, daylight, good road conditions) when there was oncoming traffic then speeding up when the other side of the road was clear. We were driving on a fairly steep hill and I didn't have a very powerful car so I just stayed behind them, knowing we were heading for a stretch of dual carriageway at the top of the hill where I knew I could overtake. They were just acting so weird I wanted to get away from them. When we got to the dual carriageway, I indicated, pulled out, overtook them and went on my way. Then they accelerated and screamed past me at high speed and kept going. I was just thinking I was glad to be rid of them when another car shot past me...... the Gardaí - who duly caught up with them and pulled their car over. I am prepared to admit I smiled to myself at this turn of events.

How was he being an aggressive prick? He was not going over the speed limit. Have you never overtaken a **** car???

The driver in front of me gave no indication of being a dick til I was nearly past him, then he started matching my speed.

Since then I'm wary of L drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Has the speed limit been raised in Ireland?

" I was bombing it on the right side of the road doing 75mph"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So just to be clear, you were totally surprised to find that another driver increased speed when coming out of a bend onto a straight section of road?

And how exactly do you know that he changed down a gear?

He was going a fair speed and then the lunatic beside him sped up. The cars behind him were looking to overtake too, so pulling out of the manoeuvre wasn’t safe. He needed to speed up to overtake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Op what about the car behind you? Did they actually overtake the L driver as well? Were they even more at risk of the oncoming vehicle than you were or did they change their mind about overtaking at the last minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

well according to your own post thats what happened . ANY competent driver would be extra careful around a learner driver.

yes the learner may well have speeded up and that was wrong/mistake but the driver blaming the learner totally for the situation had no business , by his own admission , pulling out to overtake when there was an oncoming car . anybody defending the so called experienced driver should question their own standard of driving

been driving for the last 40 yrs and never yet found myself driving at motorway speeds on the wrong side of a national/local road facing an on coming car

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd love to have seen the insurance claim form for this had the OP ploughed into oncoming traffic.

Congrats to you that it has never happened in your 40 Years of driving. Well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

gee thanks , i must be doing something right . i must also be lucky never to have come across ass h.les who drive like some of the drivers posting on here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Its been happening for years-a lot of it on surburban roads not to mind motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭beachhead

Exactly - but alas, the heroes in this thread are going to town on the OP as if he was some scumbag here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Things seen today and I nearly everyday.

Going through red light (you have an orange before).

Stopping in a yellow hatched box or in the middle of an intersection as the otherside is full.

Thinking you have the right to go on a red once traffic moves as you could not move during a green.

Going around someone who stopped as there was no room for the turn and then that person stopping traffic as stuck in the intersection.

NONE WERE LEARNERS (NO PLATE UP)

Edit: The everyday stuff no indicators, flooring through a roundabout without looking and pulling straight out in front on traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 10,793 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I would much rather drive around learner's then a lot "experienced driver"

My matra all drivers do not know how to drive and I drive Iike I do as a result

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

It's a common thing. Never used to bother me as I was driving a powerful enough car but I now drive a small engined car so the same has happened me a few times recently. Driving along behind a slow driver and you decide to overtake them and they speed up a lot on purpose as I said it's dangerous for me now since my car only has 100hp and weighs more than my old car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

One learner driver did it (and we don't even know that it was a learner, just that the car had L plates) and it's now a stupid thing that all learners do. It's a bit of an overreaction from the OP, as others have posted it's a stupid thing done by more experienced drivers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Pulling out of something that is going wrong is always safer than a head on collision, worst case scenario the oncoming car hits a stationary OP, best case the oncoming car stops before hitting the OP.

Advertisement