Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid things a learner driver does!

Options
  • 15-10-2021 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I was driving home one evening, as I left the town I had a little prick in a little pricky car with a big L plate on the back window. He was driving at 20 mph, then graduated to 30mph. When we got out to the country and past all the bends he got up to 40 mph on the straight part. That was until I went to over take the little **** and I was bombing it on the right side of the road doing 75mph, with a oncoming vehicle flashing me . I had to sound the horn at him! Luckily I got past him without killing myself or the on coming vehicle colliding with me. I was so angry with these stupid little prat, that he down booted when I was overtaking him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You sure you didn’t mean this to be a rant in the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

What about a thread “Stupid Things Experienced Drivers Do” . . Like the fact 90% don’t bother indicating. As a motorcyclist the last 20 years I have rarely have a bad experience with learner drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

so your on the wrong side of the road , speeding towards an oncoming car yet you see the learner as the problem , says a lot more about you level of competency than the other persons

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Similar things have happened to me before, although not necessarily with learners. Sitting patiently behind a slow moving car until it's safe to overtake. And as soon as I attempt it, they floor it. Unless you're driving a vastly more powerful car, the safest thing to do is always pull back in behind them.

Lol that's not quite the way it went down, overtaking requires going past the car in front could hardly fly over him !

Takes lessons from an instructor starting on Main Street 😁 That is, to say, one of the hardest things when learning to drive is operating the clutch, and pulling off smoothly..... So, if the learner is a complete novice, it makes it very awkward as s/he has to concentrate on : pulling out (most likely close to a car parked in front) , clutching/steering , as well as being mindful of the traffic coming from behind.. Better off meeting the instructor outside town...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Stupid things overtaking drivers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭Allinall

What does mph mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭dmc17

Mightn't Pass Him. It's what you're thinking as you're driving on the wrong side of the road into oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

The learner speeded up to prevent the experienced driver passing.That's what poster says.It's not just learners who do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭beachhead

mph - mighty prick here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

What’s with the moronic responses here?

OP likely was overtaking a car within the speed limit, when the car he was overtaking started speeding up like a lunatic. It’s a lethal thing to do by the other person and I have seen it a good bit more recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

When taking my ex-wife out driving, she would stop on blind corners to 'have a think. How we didn't get clattered is beyond me

Have you ever driven a car or are you just thick writing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I've seen a learner stopping at the second set of lights at a junction, they can turn but the light is red for the drivers going straight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I've seen this a few times. I actually worry about these guys. I mean, who thought them to stop like that? Or are they doing their own thing, they really shouldn't be on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

Taking the OP at their word they must have been speeding as 75mph is 120km/h.

So the only way he wasn't speeding was if he was on a motorway and if that was the case then he wouldn't be overtaking into oncoming traffic

OP here. There seems to be a few non drivers or micra drivers posting silly replies but this was a long straight part of the the road to overtake. Very safe to over take on. Most experienced drivers overtake a slow vehicle, it would be an unexperienced driver who would not. Remember this guy was driving at 40 mph (only experience drivers know what that is).

The learner is a bad driver who decided to race me as I approached past him on the right. Obviously playing too much GTA at home. What I forgot to mention was that he was early 20s with his mates in the backseat and his experience full license driver beside him laughing his arse off. My passenger seen this

I think I will invest in a camera for the dash so I can record this bullshit and report to garda.

• Advertisement

What were they driving? Just he jumped from 60-odd km/h up to 120km/h before you could get past, so pretty quick, especially for a fully packed car.

How do you know the front seat passenger was an experienced full licence holder? Maybe none of his passengers had a licencea and he was being extra cheeky and driving unaccompanied.

Also if you reported it to the Gardaí, you'd effectively be admitting to speeding so open to prosecution yourself.

I'm sure the other driver would say they were driving at a safe speed while driving on twisty country roads and sped up when it was safe to do so and then some maniac came flying by trying to overtake well over the speed limit, with no camera it's easy for either side to paint the other as a villian.

No. Again - They were overtaking at a reasonable speed when the nutjob that he was overtaking then sped up. Not tough to grasp it from the OP

This what makes me sick about posts , is all the knob end posters with their do gooder comments. Op must be speeding and on the wrong side of road! Jesus christ , how **** else way can you overtake! You drop the **** gear to 3rd and go. If we were all so righteous, there would be long tailbacks behind tractors and learners all over the country.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as an experienced driver, the OP's correct response should have been to abandon the overtaking manouevre. the worst excuse for driving like an idiot is 'the other guy started it'.

That's okay to suggest but when the gap behind you closes as the car behind me was going to overtake as well because it was along clear stretch of the road. It's a typical overtake spot where 5 cars can scoup past tractor easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Riiiiight.

But they said they then went to 120km/h which means unless they were on a motorway they were speeding! It's there in black and white.

"That was until I went to over take the little **** and I was bombing it on the right side of the road doing 75mph, with a oncoming vehicle flashing me"

OP never stayed what speed the other car went to.

You overtake it it is safe to do so, there's nothing in legislation that allows you to exceed the speed limit to do so.

As said above, an experienced driver should have backed out of the scenario if as painted by OP but then again the OP never stated what speed the other driver went to, only that he himself was 'bombing it'.

Maybe OP could furnish some more details? Like the limit on the road?

But just in case there is doubt:

19 Overtaking

19.—(1) A driver shall not overtake (or attempt to overtake) if to do so would endanger, or cause inconvenience to, any other person.

(2) A driver shall not overtake (or attempt to overtake) unless he can clearly see a portion of the roadway which—

(a) is free from approaching traffic, pedestrians and any obstruction, and

(b) is sufficiently long and wide to permit the overtaking to be completed without danger or inconvenience to other traffic or pedestrians.

Wish it didn't, but it did, I was so **** pissed off. I'm always on the watch out for the little whippersnapper

• Registered Users Posts: 25,439 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I love when someone doesn’t get the responses they want on a thread, the story develops and more and more “details” emerge to try and get posters onside. Hilarious

Advertisement