Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are healthcare workers becoming more rude and obnoxious?

Options

Comments

"Rape homes". The OP comes across as a real peach. Can't think why the (and this is really relevant) "Asian person" of indeterminate sex was hostile towards him.

The HSE is strong in this one lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

With an undiagnosed chronic illness, I've had quite a few hospital appointments and consultant appointments down through the years. It's been a very mixed bag. There have been some good, caring doctors that listened and they're the reason I haven't just given up and taken my chances with whatever it is I have.

There have been some terrible experiences though. Some gobsmacking where my jaw has quite literally dropped and I sat gaping at them like a fish out of water, some infuriating, and some have left me in tears. The level of medical gaslighting, along with downright rude behaviour I've experienced has actually led to the deterioration of my mental health.

As bad as the physical health services go, the mental health services are much worse. I've been to the community mental health service twice now, and I'm actually wondering if they have ever seen the inside of a psychology class, never mind becoming doctors. Some gems include dismissing the diagnosis provided by a well regarded consultant clinical psychologist/neuropsych, zero understanding of brain fog, suggesting my physical health problems are somatic of mental health problems (despite being told the physical stuff came first and had a clear trigger), that 1-2 hours walk in a mountain area doesn't count as exercise, and my favourite so far: that passive suicidal ideation doesn't count and I shouldn't bother mentioning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭BrianD3

You've fallen straight into the same kind of trap as listermint and the other clowns. Skim through post. Ignore the parts about the 15 years worth of sexual assaults in Donegal. Ignore Leas Cross and the HCA jailed for rape and the rest. Focus on two controversial words. Make assumptions.

BTW this Asian person that you and others are so concerned about was hostile towards my relative with dementia and barely acknowledged me. So a fail there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Was actually defending you against that fool who was looking to attack you...then read the absolute shite lazy rape home comments you just made ... completely made you look like a dishonest and equally unpleasant character...no you don't need to explain anything to me...that alone said it all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I meant there was an opportunity for major improvement whilst so many potential patients were forced to stay away

Too many vested interests to tackle so nothing was done

OK, grand, at least we agree that fighting people from the internet doesn't solve anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

How do I stop this thread appearing in my notifications, tried unticking "bookmark this discussion" and removing the bookmark tick at the top, but still is sending me loads of bell notifications....help, I want out.

You're talking like it's over, it's only beginning.

Report posts and ask for thread lock? I did that when the Fight offers started but no action as yet from mods.

• Advertisement

You’ve got to click on the gold star at top of thread. I have no idea what the bookmark thing does at all 😂

The effects of Covid on the healthcare system. The restrictions may have been easing but the numbers will no doubt continue to remain an issue to contend with especially over the winter months but even outside of that the burnout has begun, the mental health issues around the events put more and more strain on the system both by staff and the general public. With little to no mental health provision in place there will be more and more sick leave or permanent displacement and then there will be provisions made for improvement. Literally preparing the way.

These types of threads will always be contentious. Making out that your own experience is the norm, and the fault of the entire sector, is never fair - it's also uninformed of the bigger picture. Those who work in the sector or have loved ones who do, will of course become defensive. Those who don't work in the sector but have to deal with the public will too.

Saw a missing person post on Facebook today. The poor kid has severe mental health issues and left the psychiatric facility in distress. Some clown said "it's da government's fault" - this kind of uninformed bollox twisting the blame is everywhere, and people are sick of it.

The health sector is a nightmare at the moment. People saying "well MY experience means it's all terrible" are extremely self centred. I know that health workers shouldn't be brusque ideally, but ideally they wouldn't be working under such challenging conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This has the potential to be an interesting thread on the gap between expectations and reality. The way the media and nursing unions go on you would think that the hospitals are staffed entirely with Florence Nightingales. The reality is that these places are staffed by the same kind of people you find in any other workplace, where the majority of the staff are not great or terrible, but simply average.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I will say, I had similar from a gynaecologist recently who wasn’t very interested in my issue and it also wasn’t fertility/pregnancy related. I felt rushed along as she tried to just give me a prescription to get me out the door. They called it a mild issue that’s just inconvenient when it’s significant to me and has caused me to take time off work regularly, so I feel has a big impact on my life.

Otherwise, I’ve never had much of an issue with healthcare staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Reporting posts doesn't really work anymore since the migration to vanilla. If you can send me a link to the post I can have a look.

Mod note for all - dial back the personal comments. Any I come across or are brought to my attention will be actioned

#RulesOfNature do not post in this thread again

It's a real eye opener how many confident assumptions posters make on here. I make a few controversial statements on the Internet and I am told that based on that, I definItely shouted at some HCWs in real life, they can sense that I'm a terrible person, a racist and I deserve an obnoxious attitude from them etc. Absolute rubbish and the usual attack the OP bullsh1t that we get on here.

I will reiterate for the people who don't read well and pick and choose bits of posts. I do not shout at or abuse hcws or any other workers. I need them. I am nothing but polite and still received a bad attitude from the very outset in several healthcare settings recently.

I also know what its like to deal with frustrated and even violent "customers" from a previous career. E.g. have had someone try to intimidate me by "accidentally" driving an artic truck within inches of me - not many hcws can say that. I don't accept that a hcw is justified to be rotten to patients and carers because the previous patient was rotten to them or they're having a bad day. If that is their attitude, they're in the wrong job. If they are a hcw and have no understanding of dementia or other elder morbidities and berate a patient like a bold child, they're definitely in the wrong job and are a fcuking disgrace. It is borderline elder abuse and it is happening in plain sight or, in institutions, out of plain sight and can lead to more serious abuse and neglect including physical assault.

Made my point now and that's the end of my input here and there's no point asking again for a fight.

OP makes a series of personal points that are valid for discussion.

But, OP said, Asian person!

So let's all just talk about that.

My point was that the government had an opportunity to invest in beds and instigate reforms from spring 2020 onwards

"Never waste a crisis "

• Advertisement

Nurses have always been absurdly venerated in this country

Most do a job for a wage ,that's fine but enough of the eulogising

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭PmMeUrDogs

I've had a mixed bag in my experiences tbh.

While caring for a relative, I definitely came across one or two absolute arseholes. One in particular decided that my relative's complaint was in their head and discharged her with a recommendation to go to a psychiatrist and not come back to A+E. This was a patient with a long list of life limiting illnesses.

It took 8 more A+E visits (all justified, they were emergency situations), a complaint to PALS and me finally googling enough to tell the consultant what exactly was wrong with the patient (yep, I googled til I found a diagnosis that matched), til they were given a new team of consultants, admitted for months and given the very diagnosis I'd said it was.

But then when I developed a chronic illness requiring many surgeries, the same hospital were fantastic. Massive delays to some surgeries due to covid, but regular appointments, the lead surgeon truly engaged with me, told me bad news straight to the point, weighed up risks with every different surgery and really drove home the need for my input with my treatment.

Care homes - had a relative in one for years with dementia and they were absolutely bloody amazing. They could not possibly have done more or made my family feel more at ease than they did.

You're just assuming that the problem is logistical when it's far more complex than that. The "throwing more money at it" solution's don't work when the issue is inherently a cultural one. The irony is that when the problem with the system is the people in it, you can't just get rid of all the people and employ an entirely new cohort to replace them and as you know, the new ones will just enter a system which trains them up to the same standards and so the problem is cyclical.

The event's occurring right now are systemic and affecting pretty much the entire workforce. It's at this critical point where there is maximum potential for change, out of necessity for the integrity of the structure itself.

I said " instigate reforms "

I earlier referred to government unwillingness to tackle vested interests

It's an unfortunate truth that the Government have very little power of persuasion with regard to reform in the health care system. Aside from setting targets and budgeting the Dept of Health are about as powerful as a fart in a wind tunnel when faced with the voice of a thousand angry nurses.

There's something interesting in the process now as it has evolved organically. An "act of God" so to speak, which quite frankly, nurses have very little power over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Have a very mixed experience with the health service over the years with various family members. Incompetence is rife unfortunately. You do meet staff that are very good though, usually younger people who haven't had their spirits crushed by the system yet.

It's fashionable to bitch about nurses and downplay what they do, but it's clueless. The hours, the stress, the level of responsibility, the lack of resources. It's certainly not just a job you do for a wage like an office job.

They're not the only ones though - most hospital and care home staff have a very difficult job, and I wouldn't do it in a fit. Admin is probably the easiest - in some areas of health, not all. And it's likely still mental - just better hours and less responsibility.

I think actually it's the opposite, that healthcare personnel generally are held in such high regard that it's considered bad form to say something objectively, not about the profession but about any incidents which may bring disrepute to the profession.

I've personally worked with a lot of nurses and doctors, consultants and surgeons and administrators and cleaners and caterers. I know it will blow peoples minds but yeah, they are all human. Only sometimes they forget that too.

Yeah they are just human, that's why I think others should cut them some slack.

• Advertisement

What country are you referring to?

Nurses are beatified in this country, if they demanded a doubling of salary in the morning, polls would show majority support

Advertisement