Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are healthcare workers becoming more rude and obnoxious?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,335 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Where did I say any of this? I actually said the opposite!

I gave some advice which would be similar to dealing with an issue with any other public servant.

Politeness and courtesy goes both ways.

You may not have said it but others on the thread have.

What you did say (that I felt was unfair) was that relatives are dispensible, when sometimes relatives are the only advocates patients have in their corner.

Maybe in an ICU setting when someone already has a bed and has the full attention of an ICU nurse, but certainly not outside of it, in A&E or general wards, or outpatient clinics.

I agree that politeness and courtesy does go both ways. Which means it also applies to HCWs, no matter how overworked, tired or stressed they are, and I'm sorry if that rubs you the wrong way, but some of them could do with a reminder of that, sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,335 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I agree if people are treating others like that they should be told and their managers informed.

Same as bank officials, civil servants in various departments, builders, bus drivers... you name it!

This thread at any other time I would be much more sympathetic.

But complaining about staff in the most stretched service in the country at this time, is a bit much don't you think?

Again if you read my original post I talk about very disruptive aggressive relatives, never said anything about those who are anxious and advocating.

You are taking that point out of context totally.

I also said there are some mean people in nursing, but there are in every walk of life. It just depends where you are and what is going on in your life.

There is another about teachers on boards too...

But complaining about staff in the most stretched service in the country at this time, is a bit much don't you think?

No, I don't actually, not when their behaviour and treatment of patients and their carers warrants it. Do you think they should be given some kind of a free pass?

I for one, will never accept the kind of treatment I got that time in A&E ever again.

And I would encourage anyone else who is treated less than professionally, to complain - irrespective of whether that is a civil servant, public servant, nurse, GP, consultant or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭mikethecop

what a collection of horrible entitled uninformed selfish petty little people we have on this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Last November my wife had a baby

Baby was born 5 weeks early at 4 had a half lbs. He needed a stint in the special care baby unit for a week.

If half the nurses working there were lovely the other half we absolute wagons. I could see the baby for 20 mins per day. Which was tough particularly for my wife because it upset her more. Didn't bother me too much as I knew it was only short term but I was more concerned for my wife and her wellbeing. Having a baby is quite the experience for a woman that is often under appreciated

What irritated me most was it appeared they made up the rules on the hoof. One day its this, one day its another. Very ignorant and snipy.

They were at one point trying to shepherd my wife off away from the baby.

Suffice to say the nurses in Maternity told her to "take no **** for them down there" and go see your child when you want

And before I get the "oh they're flat out busy and under pressure" they were in my bollocks.

There was no more than 6 babies there at any point in the week

Advertisement