Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cops digging on Kildare/Wicklow border site

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Here's a lttle tip for the force in future --

Send in 1 or 2 guards shortly after the report is received, there may be tyre tracks, drag marks, broken branches, earth disturbance, animal activity or smells; all of which will be long gone years later. I know, I'm very clever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

According to what the Gardai have said, cadaver dogs are being used: and probably metal detectors too.

One thing that might complicate the search is that these types of sites have often been used for fly-tipping, illegal dumping of litter.

A previous search might have only found some black bags of rubbish!

-- and that is still a possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i know those roads quite well, its on larrys way home from where jojo was last seen and newbridge

Does anyone know where EXACTLY they are searching?

They mentioned "dense woodland" and on the Kildare/Wicklow border.

I had a look at Google maps and can't see much dense woodland round there. Has anyone got a closer or more exact location for this dig?

Sat. Coordinates?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It was reported as being in Usk Little in Kildare (west of Dunlavin) but Google maps doesn't show much in that townland

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The area mentioned was Usk Little I think

It's just off road from kilcullen to ballitore , the old carlow road. Im not 100% sure of the status of the M9 in 98 but either way it's on the way from moone or newbridge to Baltinglass with maybe a slight detour of a few miles

Usk Little is located at 53° 3' 57" N, 6° 45' 47" W

The townland crosses both sides of the motorway.

there was no motorway for jojo but i'm not 100% about deirdre, may have been completed around 95

Thank you both - tried that.

No actual woodland on that exact spot; the nearest would appear to be this...

53.05476590058506, -6.792523618673017

Quite a large area of quite thick woods...very near...apparently called Lipstown. Or maybe Narraghmore?

But halfway between Newbridge and Baltinglass. (Deirdre Jacob?)

And VERY near Moone - where JoJo Dollard was last seen.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

This area? https://goo.gl/maps/rXeDnhXNGkt7aSd9A

I was trying to figure it out last night

From The Times yesterday …

The search operation will cover an isolated wooded area in the east of the county, near the Co Wicklow border and about 15km from Newbridge in an area known as Taggartstown. The area was searched previously.

Drones are being used to map 1.2 hectare (three acre) area to be searched. Insp Fitzgerald said the search of the woodland would take approximately three weeks and involve 10-15 gardaí each day.

I couldn’t find Taggartstown on a search of townlands

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Other papers named the area as Brewel East. That's where I looked after also being unable to find Taggartstown.

I don't see it listed on townlands.ie nor do I see it on the OSI mapviewer. However, there is a townland a short distance south of Usk Little called Ballintaggart. There are a few small wooded areas there.

I think it must be. It's the only forest anywhere near there that you would possibly consider hiding a body in!

Also, there seem to be remote and narrow roads passing through it. With gates leading into the wood. Just right for hiding evidence of crimes.

Though it seems, from the news reports, that someome WAS seen dragging something from the boot of a car - but of course, it may turn out to be only illegal dumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,710 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Kilcullen to Carlow only opened in 2008.

The section that opened in 1994 only went from the M7 interchange to the current J2 just outside Kilcullen.

Wouldn't have been any road or motorway works near this site for a good few years after the disappearances

murphys modus operandi really was too well organized to be a first timer.

Chose victim

stalked victim

waited until she went to the boot of her car

blunt force punch to the nose and bundled into her car

drove to his car which was some distance away

For their families, You’d hope given his previous history, that if it’s now a given that either of these women are to be found in only tragic circumstances, that this would be the place.

All that’s required is one piece of identifiable personal item- a ring, a necklace -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

There is a first time for everything. People are very quick to blame Larry. He has been done his time and been hounded out of the country. What more do people want?

• Advertisement

What people want, of course, is to find out who killed Deirdre Jacob, and a few others too.

Of course, none of us know who did it. But good detective work includes taking a long look at offenders with a similar profile and mode of operation. Who had means, motive, and opportunity. It would be extremely foolish to ignore such a clear suspect as Larry Murphy.

He isn't the ONLY possibility, as it happens; there are several others with a similar history. But all at much longer odds.

There’s more though, his attitude in prison is another red flag , he’s never answered any questions

looks like a duck walks like duck etc

im from Wicklow myself and it’s a 2 sided county , west Wicklow rolls into Kildare , Annie Mcarrick went missing in Wicklow but not from a place easily accessible from baltinglass , but if this search shows up anything it credibly links jojo and Deirdre

Wasn't Annie Mcarrick last seen in Johnny Fox's ?

There are a few ways to get from there to Baltinglass (Ennskerry to Roundwood to Glendalough, etc.) (something similar but through the gap) (through either of the gaps, then on to the N81)

I think these routes may have suited his mindset & lifestyle (comfort zone, etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭chooseusername

!995 aerial photo, preparatory work for M9 just visible

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do we have special Gardai here for cold cases, missing persons etc.,

I hope the bodies are found and closure for the families

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

was LM a suspect at the time these disappearances happened or only later when they caught him with this other crime?

From that article ^^^

the gardaí said it was a different woman altogether because Jo Jo Dullard had been seen in Castledermot afterwards.

So what has changed that now makes the truckers statement credible (I'm not doubting them) but allowed what they witnessed to be so easily dismissed by gardai back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

yes and if it was another woman what was done about it??

• Advertisement

But, following it up "at the time" would not have necessitated a major dig. Surface disturbance would have been evident.

Advertisement