Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I went out and told it to cut. Once it started cutting it reconnected in a minute or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Ya all of mine came back at the same time this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Hi all

This is my 1st year with a robot, It's been brilliant since April but it's starting to struggle now because the grass is constantly wet.Is it time to put it away for the winter? What are peoples thoughts, too early?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

For me it's be way too early.

Depends on where you live though. If you think you won't get a few more dry days in a row then by all means park it up. But your grass will be like a jungle come March.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

When you say it's beginning to struggle, do you mean with the drive or with the cutting?

If it's the cutting, you may need to change the blades. If it's the drive, try letting it out later in the day, after the dew has gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

It's the drive .I live in the west. lately the grass is wet all day.But I'll try your suggestion and adjust the times to later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

Why is wet grass bothering it? Should travel and cut as good on wet grass as dry? Obviously if you have steep slopes the wet wouldn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

can't say a lot for the build quality ! this was taken 1 hr after installation. Someone in QA needs a talking to !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

One of mine came off when lifting it out of the box as I didn't know the carry handle was on the rear and it's a heavy enough unit. Popped back on no problem and hasn't come off since. It's not a big deal, they're just there for styling and clip on. The glue they applied just isn't good. Otherwise the unit is solid. Can't ask for much for one of the cheapest mowers on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

What happened to the price of the ROB1000 at NorthxSouth??? It was €799 a couple of months ago and I was gonna buy one once I had my garden levelled/filled etc. Just checked their site now and it's bumped up to €1099!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jessica.Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

yes, it make no difference to the functionality. But it does make a difference to the perceived quality !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,631 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

If you want an alternative theres the Sileno 1000 for 799 on the Coopsuperstore . ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KayoOhio

I got my Automower 115h all set up (what a job! The next time I will absolutely pay a person with younger knees and back to help me) and all is working well. I have my front yard connected to the back through a narrow 14-meter passage that is only 71cm wide. That passage is all brick, with beds on the sides, no grass. I've managed to set 3 starting points along the single guide wire - Area 1 the front, Area 2 the passage, and Area 3 the back yard. The mower traverses it well. But is there some way to tell it it does not need to mow Area 2? It takes time going forward, turning from the boundary wire, basically pinging from side to side down the whole thing. I tried taking out the passage as an area, but it somehow did not work right, and that was my only idea. Would be grateful for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Just wondering how to cater for spring flowers such as daffodils that are along the edge of our lawn, Ideally i would like a automower to stay x cms away from the edge until the early june when the daffodils have finished flowering and then for the rest of the summer this area would be mowed ? Am i asking for too much here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 KayoOhio

I have seen little linking stakes that you pound in to provide a temporary barrier. They are a bit shorter than typical garden linking stakes - looks like they are just tall enough to bump the mower. Also have seen people use staked-down 'pool noodles' for a temporary barrier. I am thinking of a short willow hurdle for my front garden to be prettier. Also considering a push-in decorative fence, the little curly metal kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭kevin306

Just looking for some advice, complete novice when it comes to this. Basically over the summer I have transformed the field next to my back lawn into a lawn itself. All told taking me approx. 2 hours to cut this with my lawnmower. Don't fancy having to do this next Summer so deliberating whether to purchase a ride-on or an autonomous mower. It would need to mow approx. 3/4 acre. Fairly straight route, not many obstacles. What brands & price ranging would I be looking at for a lawn my size. As these are relatively new tech I'm questioning the longevity I would get from this in comparison to a ride-on which I could trust getting ~10 years for a big spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dermotp

I,m new here just came across this thread and what a thread ? I,m thinking of purchasing an automower,I have a small garden approx 70sqm divided by a path with kerb stones on either side,which from Reading this thread could easily be overcome and make a passage for the mower,any ideas which mower would be suitable for my garden,any suggestions appreciated.

As I've mentioned previously I have the EasyMow 260. Cost me €320 and does the job. My garden is 69m².

We don't have kids or pets so no obstacles for it to go around so a basic mower without fancy sensors does the job. No need for app control or anything as it goes at the same time every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Any recommendations for 1/2 acre lawn with very little obstacles ?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭mickey15ie

bought a 315x yesterday and have it running now. will it take long to see the results? :)

Thanks Davydave,where did you buy your unit have not seen them anywhere up to now,

Davydave got it ,it's the yard force easymow 260, thanks again

That's the one. I got it from My Robot Centre. The more expensive models don't seem to offer much more if you're just looking for something basic.

Can the mower/docking station be located under a hedge in a garage for protection,I read in a manual the boundary wires must come from the back of the docking station,but that means the docking station/mower has to be located in the open?

Mine is left uncovered as they're water resistant. You can buy after market covers, plenty of people have built a little roof over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

Just bought flymo 1200 and I will need extra boundary wire. Does any boundary wire work or does it have to be flymo branded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭hbab2009

Ambrogio L30 elite, keeps getting stuck on side and rear of docking station. Is the attached correct if I want the Ambrogio to stop before it hits the side and back of the station. Where I show the 2 wires beside each other I mean I will be overlapping those 2 wires.

Advertisement