Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Athletics 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yep, Niyonsaba with an 8:19 effort in the 3k, holding off Taye who also went under 8:20. If Niyonsaba keeps going like this she'll be a contender at 5k/10k level by the time Oregon rolls around.

Men's steeple didn't exactly go to plan, Kipruto a DNF and El Bakkali with a nasty fall on the very first hurdle. Hope he's alright.

DL season coming to a close soon, Brussels the second last stop next Friday night. The women's mile and 5k are two of my favourite distances so looking forward to who'll show up for them. Sifan Hassan is supposed to be attempting to retake her 10,000m WR also, but remains to be seen if that's still gonna go ahead after the disaster in Eugene. It's also outside the broadcast window, so yet again one of the sports biggest stars won't be receiving widespread exposure, but I'm sure there'll be some stream going.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Yalemzerf Yehualaw took down the women's half marathon WR record in Antrim of all places at the weekend, running 63:44.

Brussels entry lists are out. Niyonsaba lining up for the 5k against Gidey/Obiri/Taye/Klosterhalfen should be interesting to say the least. Hassan has abandoned her 10k WR attempt and is running the mile instead.

Speaking of Klosterhalfen, I see from Instagram she's been working with Sonia O'Sullivan recently. An interesting combination. And speaking of Sonia:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

National road relays due to take place on September 12th have been postponed, no reason given. 🤔

Some delayed comments on Brussels..

Good meet, so happy to see my boy McSweyn get the win. Nice win for Dos Santos in the 400m hurdles too.

After Semenya and Co. were banned from 400-1500m distances I think a lot assumed that that'd be the end of the issue, mad to see it back with a vengeance so soon. Really hope the issue is sorted once and for all, it would be very hard on Niyonsaba/Mboma etc. to be banned from competing, but it's moreso unfair for the rest of the field competing against intersex athletes.

If Niyonsaba continues in this fashion she could be a gold medal contender in Oregon next year over 5k at least, maybe even competitive over 10k too. Would've been interesting to see what would've happened if she wasn't DQ'd in Tokyo, could she possibly have beaten Hassan? I think no, but I do think she'd have gotten the silver.

Shelby Houlihan had her burrito doping appeal rejected by CAS

TL;DR: She's full of ****. She's appealing again but I'd be shocked to see her back soon

DL finals tonight and tomorrow night!

Entry lists here. Men's and Women's 5k tonight with a few field events, everything else in a bumper session tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Are those Irish times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Hearing of Ocotber 3rd in Raheny as a possible date for the Road Relays.....same weekend as the National Marathon Champs; a date clash would not surprise me based on AI being involved.

Would usually have been the date for Dublin Novice; not holding out much hope for Dublin XC this year.

• Advertisement

Not gonna lie, tonight's meet had all the excitement of a wet weekend in County Leitrim 😅 Almost entirely slow and tactical races, which I guess can't be begrudged at the end of a long season with big prize money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

I thought the racing on the track last night was very exciting. The obsession of pace makers and pacing lights makes things a little boring sometimes in my opinion. I wasn't a fan of the city based events on Thursday in general, but the women's high jump was great.

The women's 200,400h, 800, 1500 were very good. The men's 100, 200, 800, 1500 and steeplechase were all very good racers imho.

The field events weren't great, but that's often down to the coverage rather than competition itself. I thought Duplantis was going to do it....

Has anybody every travelled to Zurich for the finals? Are tickets hard to come by?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Another day, another world record.

Francine Niyonsaba obliterated Sonia O'Sullivan's 2000m WR which stood for 27 years, in Zagreb meet tonight.

Niyonsaba not eligible to run distances up to the mile, so this was the perfect distance for her and made it look easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Not going to wade into the controversy around Niyonsaba. I’ll just say that I’m a little sad to see Sonia’s world best for 2K finally go. I know it’s a rarely run distance, but it’s a testament to her prowess, how long it actually lasted.

The Ethiopian who finished fourth in the 1500m in Tokyo was two seconds outside Sonia’s time. Makes me wonder how competitive she would be if she were at her peak today. My sense is that she would still be a potential medalist at 1500m and 5000m, and would surely win several diamond league races over 3000m.

Slightly off topic, but Sonia has been coaching Konstanze Klosterhalfen as she returns to racing around Europe this summer. I read an interview in the German media, in which KK mentioned that she really values Sonia’s input and that it’s been a tremendous help to her on her journey back from a serious stress fracture.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Plus, on modern-day surfaces and more technical footwear Sonia could easily have been 2-3 seconds faster!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Absolutely nothing from aai on the road relays 3rd of Oct, which is barely over 2wks away. I'm gonna assume this isn't going to happen then either?

Women's Road 10k World Record Holder Agnes Tirop found dead at 25

Set the record last month

4th in 5,000m at the Olympics

stabbed apparently

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/58896494

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Horrific news, got a real fright when I saw it. Twice a bronze medalist at World's over 10,000m, apparently her husband is the prime suspect. Just 25 with her whole life ahead of her, so sad.

I know she set a road's world record last month but I think Doha 2019 is arguably her finest moment. Pushing herself to the absolute limit and hanging tough over a brutal final mile to hold on for the bronze. May she RIP.

https://youtu.be/NluPjuIYFm8?t=1452

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Have teams been announced for European Cross Country yet - Sonia O'Sullivan making the point that its been surprising low key, and she is right.

Its less than two months way; arguably the biggest athletic event in Ireland for over a decade?

Does the Autumn International decide the teams?

The team will not be picked until the national championships are held, so nothing to do with the autumn International.

Agree 100% with Sonia. AI have been very slow about advertising the euros.

Ian O Riordan remarked this on twitter a while ago.

While on the subject of AI.

Its incredible to think that they didn't award medals to winning teams or masters categories for the national marathon championship.

Does it not seem very late to make a selection decision?

Anyways, really looking forward to seeing how it goes- Stephanie Cotter still in u23. Sarah Healy and Efrem Gidey also in u23 category - both a year younger than the competition, not sure how much difference the extra year makes at that age, I wouldnt imagine its that significant.

Who are the other Irish athletes to look out for?

Traditionally kin a time long ago 😁) teams for the euros were picked after national inter county, and teams for the world xc were picked after inter clubs.

In an attempt to keep things fair for everyone AI decided to hold the national champs in Santry, instead of Abbottstown, just incase the home athletes would gain any advantage for the Euros 🙄

Or to be fair that a large cross country event absolutely destroyed the ground and that it wouldnt be ready in time for the Euros.

Ready. Its cross country, it shouldn't be a manicured grass track that would suit the the likes of the Spanish Portuguese etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

that would leave it perfect so. something like Belgium in 2001 would be nice.

https://youtu.be/g9zsKEukhCg

More bad news, Doha 2019 200m bronze medalist Alex Quiñonez found shot dead on the streets of Ecuador. He was 32 years old. Seems he was also serving a one year ban from the sport for whereabouts failures which seemed to pass me by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Nice little run from Gidey this morning. Sub 3 min/kms all the way. She must like Valencia!! I think men's and women's marathon records will go there in the next two or three years. Is it too late for Kipchoge and Bekele? New generation maybe.

Advertisement