Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭893bet

The bridge seems a little slow today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Watched for a while at the start, €2800-€3500 was the run of them then, a smashing looking Saler x Lim made €4K later and one heifer made €5900 (video of her on Adam Woods twitter). No mention of stars at this sale 😂😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Jaysus - I have a few culls to replace this year - hard to know if they are worth replacing….think I would get it hard to part with €2000 for a springer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭orm0nd

A good cull will go a lot of the road.

See a march 01 heifer made 2260 in Ennis last Thursday she was shy of 300 kgs.

Bought 10 square black hex bucket fed bull weanlings privately for 2.70/kg this morning. Not weighted yet but should be 240-250 region.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭Grueller

I had 11 dairy X calves that I didn't sell in the spring and have no winter housing for. I sold them this morning.

2 AAX bulls early March born €470

3 AAX heifers March born €430

1 Montbelliarde bull late Feb born €490

1 BBX bull off a Montbelliarde cow April born €480

4 BBX bulls, friesian mothers. Bull was black and white so the calves were marked like friesian. March born. €480.

Happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Anyone watching macroom today... Weanlings seem well back.... Is it the weather??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Guess that next year looks very uncertain, with fertilizer issue etc, more cattle in the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Heard a local tuned in to see the trade and spotted a heifer he sold this time last year make over 3k

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭somewhat disappointed

I know there are different classes and qualities of animal available to buy I don't know where I went wrong I have Angus and Hereford bullocks they are fat but they simply have not grown. They looked nice cattle when they were bought and I know I will lose big time on them. Could they be lowline Angus and miniature Hereford stock?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I wouldn't think there's many lowlines or miniature HEX knocking about tbh. Are they dairy or suckler bred stock? I'd be of the opinion that there more likely bred off easy calving genetics with poor beef abilities eg the likes of KYA and possibly off Xbred or Jersey cows. Having said that there's poor genetics in every breed and some cattle just never seem to preform as well as expected.

I saw a bundle of LMx weanlings sold this time last year by a man that is always dealing in rare breeds and oddities. They were out of a LM bull on Dexter cows and were nice soft hairy little things from about 120-200kg. An older man who buys a good lot of average weanling heifers every year bought a good share of them and I often meant to ask him how they done. I assume he didn't know they were bred out of Dexters and just assumed they were small and young, it would be interesting to see if he and the other purchasers would buy them again. I'd imagine they didn't grow much in the mean time and stayed as little butt's of things due to the Dexter breeding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Where they well fed when you bought them?

A good friend asked me to buy young cattle off him this year, something I literally haven't bought since 2004.

He had them very well done, Jesus they wer some thing septic waiting for them to thrive all summer.

Hopefully it will be another 17 years before I buy them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,232 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The sums on even good AA and HE do not add up at present. Very hard to differentiate between them as calves, weanlings or sometimes as stores. As well too many expect too much from these traditional breeds.

I expect AA's to only average 300-310 kgs, grade O+. The bonus is only worth 30-31 euro minus the 6 euro AA group fee.

The HE is much more variable from cattle capable of hitting 400 kg ( over 770 LW) DW to ones that will struggle to reach 600 kgs and hang over 300 DW.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

What price range you expect to pay for lmx springers u grade calving down at 30 months to eby easy calving bull.very quite easily managed.nice style heifers round 600kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dunedin

You’re definitely in the €2k bracket although not that close to springers as I’ve not had to buy any this year. From what I hear they’re very dear.

one like you’re describing could make any money in the big published sales from the well known boys but probably not as much from a small local farmer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Katie 2018

Going to look at two tonight he looking 2000 each from the yard.might be bought cheaper in ring but they are two pets he says

Anyone looking at the simmental s in gort tonight. Not as hot or either more rubbish than other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

Some good prices when I was watching, some very well done weanlings

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭jfh

• Advertisement

Ya that's true, some very well fed calves in it. Couple of the heaviest maidens would make more to kill. Now these were touching 30 months.

There was 3 very honest weanlings made fierce money.

Also I was surprised how little of them were AI bred compared to years ago

Better to buy a few nice Salers in Gort on Saturday 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Is there an age limit at weanling sales? I have 4 to go and a 13 month old bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

There is no limit around here @ 13 months he would very much still be in the weanling sale. General young bulls around here are sold in the weanling marts.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Sent 2 culls to the mart today. 2 AAxs one 730kg 4yr old & other 805kg 5yr old, 1390e & 1690e, delighted with the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Larger one would be. I'm not in Bord BIA so mart for them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Advertisement