Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,227 ✭✭✭tanko

Don’t know if many would be exported, maybe the likes of the Jalex lad up the north would buy some for breeding. Most would be sold for breeding or showing i’d imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Mostly farmers buying them to put in calf. I past the mart on Friday evening and it was jeeps & trailers there to bring them home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

Would they have being on meal along with sucking their mothers as weanlings given their strength I wonder?.....not a great job buying a heifir that has being pushed from birth for breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I don't know.. I would guess they were on meal a while.. they are ment to be very quite cattle, well used of been handled from anyone that I ve heard bought them over the last few years. But I haven't heard any reports on what type of cows they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Who2

I was told they feed a kilo of meal over a longer time allowing no more than two prior to weaning rather than a short burst .However true I don’t know. There were a lot of older purchasers there than usual and they were buying. One in particular I was watching bought at least three of the higher priced ones while I was there. I had to laugh watching what looked like a young lad who fancied himself as a dealer shaking the hand and waving the fingers trying to open stock at 1000 to 1200 than we’re clearly going to go in to massive money. I didn’t see him get anything.

whatever way it’s looked at you have to say fair play to them getting the prices they did. They have in fairness boosted the suckler trade and renewed a lot of interest whether people agree or not with suckler farming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Was in castleisland today prices well back picked up a few weanling heifers all around 300kgs around 720 a head

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Any truth castleisland mart is coming up for sale there hoping maury will be interested apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭White Clover

Isn't it a cooperative mart? I'd imagine it'd be hard to get a motion like that passed at a egm.

Is it true that Mauty was looking for planning to extend his own place? Apparently has plans for sheep sales too.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

I taught the same thing the wheels are in motion with a fair bit I'm told by an insider don't think I would believe it tbh

Sounds like reasonable money. What breed if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

How long will a mart in middle of a town be viable? While castleisland has the better facilities its location is a big issue. At least Mautys place is well out of the way. Great to see alot of stock there today but a pity prices were back

3 lm and one CH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Prices are well back, nice weanlings heifers in skibb and macroom were on the floor. Saw great au heifers 350kg 720. A pedigree si with papers 400 at 900.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

That’s going around with the last few years , this time last year with the last manager ud believe it but mcauliffe is bringing it back

• Registered Users Posts: 18,233 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Castleisland is not exactly an exceptionally busy town. The mart has two access points which helps as well. Maury problem now is he is too successful. Cattle hanging around too long and sales running too late. He needs a second ring, but that will bring its own problems in that he will need more penning. Very hard to keep prices up if you have two rings running.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭DBK1

I got a text from Gortatlea yesterday to say that the new start time for the weanling sale on Wednesdays is 3.30pm. No harm to bring it back, they might have it finished by 1am instead of 4am now.

Now if only they could be persuaded to sell the heifers first, I’d be home with a load before dark instead of before daylight😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone see how dairy cows went in bandon yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

You'd think he'd split them when it gets so busy.

What time do they finish Fridays these days?

I'm tempted to carry my weanlings to castle this year. Think there were 400 lots of runners in gortatlea couple weeks ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Ladeeen

Sent x4 Bullocks to Castleisland today

• Feb ‘20 SIX 478KG - €1050
    • Mar ‘20 SIX 528KG - €1010
    • Oct ‘20 SIX 414KG - €870
    • Aug ‘20 LMX 438kg - €1050

was happy enough, good trade there!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Is it the wet weather that has weanlings back or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,440 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Could be concerns over next year and fertilizer availability. Could be the weather, could be the extra cattle on the system next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

What prices are being paid for weanling fr bulls 270-290 kilos?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

I’ve an offer of 480/head on them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

I sold a 2 a couple of weeks ago in drumshanbo, one weighted 290 made €460 , wasn't any prize winner mind you

I am only going by Gortnalea prices last week. However add in Mart fees and transport and you are only a shade off 500 euro. That nearly 1.8/ kg. I be taking it and his arm from the shoulder as well. Prices are starting to come under pressure, Friesians are the first to suffer.

This lad is either Weanling to beef or if weanling to store he exceptionally good to get weight on them on weanling to beef he did well this year and is returning an awful lot of the gain to the weanling producer. If he is a store producer unless he is getting those calves to well over 500 kgs he is at nothing. I be buying 400-450 kgs stores for 1.6-1.8/ kg

Slava Ukrainii

480 is a good enough price for them. Young cattle could be a tough enough trade for the next while. With the uncertainty of fertiliser availability for next year, farmers with older cattle on hand won't be in a panic to replace slaughtered cattle with weanlings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

very variable but given that those weights would be in the better weight for age category I’d say they are squarish good type? Somewhere around the 450 to 500€ Mark in the south east. (Square good friesians are getting to be a scarce breed here)

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Strong prices up in Elphin last night. There was some nice heifers in it but alot of them were calving 40+ months & were up on 800kg or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

What sort of money were they making?

Advertisement