Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

London Marathon 2021 (October 3rd)

• 06-10-2020 3:48pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Entry procedure and chances of getting a place for 2021 are very different than normal, but anyone wanting to enter the 2021 edition which is due to happen on 3rd October can enter the ballot here which is open until 5pm this Friday, 9th October 2020:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/ballot-entry/index.html

There are ways of getting in via Good For Age, but unless you have already run the time, had a deferred place, and ran the virtual event last Sunday then chances are slim of getting in through that route. The number of place that will be available in the ballot isn't clear, not that it ever really is, but it's normally approximately 15-20,000 places for ballot and the same (ish) for charity.

I'd anticipate there being somewhere between 1/3 -2/3 of the normal number of places available though as people with 2020 entries will have been given a a place in one of the years 2021, 22 or 23. Not seen any rumours as to what they have done with charity places though, but that charities haven't been complaining on social media suggests they have been looked after so may have been issued a bunch of extra places that would normally go to ballot.

Championship places will be reduced by a bit next year as the times have been tightened by 5 minutes so that frees up some places, but makes GFA in subsequent years even tougher to obtain...but we don't know what GFA standards will be for 2022 or 2023 as yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Yeah the GFA route doesn't look very straightforward. I'd have nearly 10 minutes in hand on the 40-44 standard, but you wouldn't be counting your chickens. I'd imagine there will be very few new GFA entries for 2021.....presuming, of course, that big city marathons are a thing again by next Autumn :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I have unfinished business at London, so I will enter, secretly hoping I can whine about never getting in on the ballot 😀

Good luck to anyone entering and hopefully by autumn next year we are starting to see these type larger participantion events going ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

It just wouldn't be the same without my annual PFO from London

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just submitted my proof of the virtual run for being able to reclaim my GFA place, if you were in GFA and needing to run the time via the app you should not have an email from VMLM.

If you didn't have a GFA place but ran with the app, or ran an actual marathon somewhere by some means, then you can also apply for a new GFA place for 2021:

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/index.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Seems that people who had applied for GFA places without already having had 2020 entries to defer have been getting their places confirmed today. Guessing there wasn't many in a position to have applied anyway, but I know of at least one applicant who was only a couple of minutes under the qualifying time, but just outside of the extra cut off from the virtual but that didn't matter in their case, who got a place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

I had my 2021 GFA place confirmed earlier this week, i didnt have a gfa place deferred from 2020 but had ran the time at an autumn 2019 marathon (Abingdon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Annual PFO ballot emails to be sent out from tomorrow...... it will probably be the year I get in and won't be able to travel !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

In a year of unbelievable change, a PFO email from London Marathon will be a nice touch of normality back 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Assuming I get a PFO email, I think I’ll sign up to the virtual. 3 weeks ahead of Dublin (which I’m assuming will be virtual too!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

6run28 wrote: »
    In a year of unbelievable change, a PFO email from London Marathon will be a nice touch of normality back ��

I was thinking the exact same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Couldn't make this up, got Berlin earlier and now got an entry to London in the middle of a pandemic with foreign travel in doubt!!! Must go do the lottery now :):)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Congrats! I can't get in to the site to check my result, surely they could have put the result in the email!

Email just came through to this house, but likewise still don't know if it means a place or not as their website crashed.

My email confirming the GFA place just said in the email that I'd got a place, why the need to complicate things with clicking on links to websites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Just about loaded for me just there, no luck but literally had zero expectations.

Congrats to Slow Runner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭saffron22

3rd year of failing to get an entry. Grrrrr. Congrats Slow Runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Can't get the site to load, congrats to those who got in!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Same, No go for me either.

Link won't open for me. Must have crashed ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Finally got in, but did not get in :(
    Retry next year again.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭FinnC

And for the 5th year in a row it’s a .........No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Nope for me too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

The annual rejection for me. Lost count at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think that's rejection number 6 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

No for me too. It must be near my ten year anniversary of rejections now. Think I'll buy myself a present to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

No joy! Fingers crossed DCM goes ahead

Of course I've been rejected - no surprise! I've been successful once in 12 years. I've transferred across to the virtual event now - better to have something to focus on!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Alan30

My wife got in via the ballot on her first attempt. Would anyone have any suggestions on what area to book a hotel in. Or would an AirBnb be a better option. Hopefully the travel restrictions will be lifted by October.

PFO for me again - for a change .....

Alan30 wrote: »
    My wife got in via the ballot on her first attempt. Would anyone have any suggestions on what area to book a hotel in. Or would an AirBnb be a better option. Hopefully the travel restrictions will be lifted by October.

Normally I'd suggest something near the finish, if you are staying the night after or going to be checking out late to make use of the shower. It's easy enough to get to the start on the trains and all part of the buildup, then quite easy for you as support crew to make it to several viewings on the route and get to take in London along the way.

But, for October I've no idea what to recommend as it's a long way from being clear what kind of restrictions there would be on travel and spectating and getting around or even to the start line and what modes of transport will feel comfortable to do or what the expo requirements will be like.

I wouldn't worry too much about hotel rooms though, they have loads of them in London and the marathon runners barely make an impact on availability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I'm a member of the PFO club as well :)

We already knew that October would be the last Virgin branded London, but they have now announced that TCS is the new main sponsor from 2022.

New colour of ribbons for the medals, yay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭muloc

I've a GFA entry for 2021. Anyone know how/if I can defer this to 2022?
    Can't find anything on the site.

muloc wrote: »
    I've a GFA entry for 2021. Anyone know how/if I can defer this to 2022?
    Can't find anything on the site.

Under normal circumstances as long as the 2021 wasn't a deferral then you'd be able to defer right up until the day before the race and be guaranteed a GFA place for the following year as long as you re ran the qualifying time for 2022, but without needing to worry about any extra cut offs.

The date when you'd normally need to run the GFA time by would be in July time... But for 2022 the date is 3rd October. So unless you already have the time run I'm not sure you can defer. When the final instructions magazine is posted online it should have the details in it, but 2023 might be your only option, if there is any option.

So London Marathon, and a bunch of other big UK events such as GNR and parkrun etc, released a joint statement saying that they were all now goo to go ahead with various restart dates.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-and-media/latest-news/mass-participation-running-events-celebrate-safe-return

Great North Run have said that they are holding a different course that will be an out and back and with wave starts, to reduce congestion on the course and limit the amount of people needing to be getting transport back to the centre from South Shields after the run all at the same time. No word yet as far as I can see on any changes to the London Marathon route/ timings/ transport. They have relatively good space at the start and finish areas, but their problem is getting people to the start as those trains to Blackheath are absolutely rammed.

The race will happen at least, which is great, but not clear yet if any changes will be made to the how it happens. You should all be OK for travel in from Ireland and can't see there being any restrictions for that brought in.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

I'm part of the MSO group as the NI representative, that has been looking at the return of these events in the UK and the definitive decision on the London event will be made later in July. It will not be the same setup as previous years due to transport etc of the runners. The fix for the GNR was fairly easy to make but London is a tougher issue I was told.

The statement that was put out was to welcome the return of mass events and encourage runners to return to the sport as the level of engagement so far throughout the UK has been lower than expected.

• Advertisement

The 2022 event is now also moved to October. Guess that there are still potential questionmarks over what might happen over the winter it's best to just leave themselves a year between events still rather than rush things to make an April event happen.

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-and-media/latest-news/tcs-london-marathon-to-take-place-on-sunday-2-october-2022

With any luck it means that the qualification period for GFA places gets extended by a few months, but I doubt it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Thankfully it has moved, did my achilles about 2 months ago and was never likely to make April, so this move gives me a chance. Need to see about deferral process now as they were to announce that today also.

Anyone running the virtual London in Dublin on 3rd Oct? Any routes planned out already (out and back from home / Phoenix park loops?)

Details on this year's event.

No baggage from the start, you have to drop stuff off at the expo in advance and then turn up ready to run on the morning.

Going to have to figure some stuff out with what I can last the night with seeing as I'll be heading straight back on the bus after the finish. Going to take some planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Degsy123

Does anyone know how to go about getting and uploading the lateral flow test required for the Expo? Thanks

The lateral flow tests can be collected from pharmacies etc in the UK. You then upload a self reported result to the NHS system and they then text you back telling you what you just told them the result was, so totally fakeable.

The results then also appear in the NHS app if you have your profile linked.

When would you be flying over? You'll probably be able to pick up a set of tests on arrival from a pharmacy if you have time. Or might be worth seeing if someone from the North can send a box down, there are 7 test per box.

Relying on collecting tests on arrival might be risky though as stocks haven't always been reliable to every pharmacy.

That’s for the reply. I’m fling over on the Sat morning so I’m a bit worried about running around trying to pick up the testing kit and get to the expo - don’t need that stress the day before a marathon 😅. Do you know if there are any specific test types that are only accepted? I have a box of antigen tests here but they don’t have a QR code on them so I guess can’t be used.

There is only the one NHS branded version of lateral flow tests, although I think they have recently switched to a different supplier. Not aware of any other variations in the UK definition of LFT tests.

There is a QR code on the tests though that you then upload to the results reporting website, or just type in the code, so if that isn't from the correct supplier it likely won't work.

Just noticed on the Berlin Marathon site that they are doing their own PCR tests at the Expo for people who are not vaccinated, much more sensible process. For now I'd just keep your ear to the ground and see if London setup something with a supply of LFT tests available at the entrance to the Expo. It's the kind of really simple thing they could implement.

I ordered a pack through a friend up north so hopefully they arrive ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

London are saying spot checks at the start but most won't have their phone as no baggage drop on the day

Well I'm not leaving my phone at the Expo overnight.

Was trying to figure out their thinking with the baggage needing to be dropped off in advance. Think it must come down to them not physically being able to get the baggage lorries from the start to the finish with the new wave starts. Race numbers are normally fairly random through the field, except for Championship and GFA, so that they don't have over crowding at individual baggage lorries at the finish. But if they are going to be starting the first wave at 10am and the last at 11:30am they can't have the lorries leaving Blackheath at 9:40am like they normally would. All the lorries need to be at the finish before the elites finish and that isn't possible if they pick up from the start.

Covid just gives them a handy excuse to not have to explain that reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Apparently it limits the number of contacts !!

They are also asking everyone to bring their own hydration belt and only invite one person to spectate at race!!!!

Still waiting for details through on the start times etc and how far spread out the waves will be. Last nights email just told the oldies with fastish times that we'll wear age group numbers on our backs and will get a London Marathon medal and also a Wanda Age Group Championship medal at the end.

I do like the idea of being able to spot peoples ages from their backs, it's a good motivation most of the time knowing who you are racing against for places. Less motivating when a pensioner overtakes you of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 D-Rath

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has received their bag in the post yet?

It is due by the 24th according to the email/website - hopefully it does arrive or else it will be a bit of hassle!!!!

Got the lateral flow test off a friend up north - tried it out at the weekend, simple enough process (even if pointless and easy to fake).

Will get the email printed out etc. before flying on the Friday, that should do me??

Anything else I am missing????

• Advertisement
Advertisement