Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

1373839404143»

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thanks El Gato, that was a really well run and enjoyable game.

When I was a kid my dad had a pub band, and listening to the songs as they were posted made me realise just how much of his set was Beatles songs, including several I'd completely forgotten about. However it's clear our musical tastes differ, he sang quite a few that I really don't care for and voted against in this competition. You're supposed to rebel against your parents musical tastes though, aren't you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Arghus wrote: »
    A bit more modern and heavier.... Sounds intriguing. I think Metallica could fit that bill, perhaps.

Stones could be a good shout, but they have an awfully huge back catalogue, with a fairly clear division in terms of quality between the first half and the second.

The Beatles were perfect IMO because the catalogue is pretty big, but not ridiculously so and the quality was consistent all the way through.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Out of interest, I decided to google best Beatles song and got a link to a list compiled by Rolling Stone magazine. They had the same number 1 as we did, but our other two finalists were ranked 28th and 30th.

There was a link to the magazine’s list of 500 greatest songs of all time and ADITL was only ranked 28th, with 5 other Beatles songs ahead of it! As the Americans would say, go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I really enjoyed that too, I think the final was the only one I missed bit I would have voted a day in the life. Great job putting in the effort and running the polls every day

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I forgot to vote in the final, some many great songs

Well done El Gato

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Just a heads up to fellow fans. The Peter Jackson 3 part documentary is releasing at the end of November and the above is a companion book to it, just arrived today from amazon. Haven't cracked it open yet but it's huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,716 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I have the similarly enormous Anthology book and I've only ever skimmed through it. Really looking forward to the Jackson series - I saw "Let it Be" on a dodgy VHS years ago and it was really interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Advertisement