Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of The Beatles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

group d

for no one
    get back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Blackbird

Group D

For No One
    Get Back

Eleanor Rigby was one of the first Beatles songs i was introduced to...we listened to it in religion class as a study on loneliness! Such a tough choice on that one...but i just love the energy on AYBCS. The others songs were easy enough choices for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group C

Eleanor Rigby vs And Your Bird Can Sing

ATBCS is an animated, enjoyable listen with an uplifting and bouncy chorus but it's no contest for obvious reasons.

Back in the U.S.S.R vs Blackbird

Flat out rocks, suitable for a disco jive, Jerry Lee Lewis style. Sweet Beach Boys element to the harmonies at around one minute, repeated @1:47; the guitar solos short and uncomplictaed add to the explosion in an undercurrent of energy. I would have liked a solo at the end but I'm satisfied with what we got.

Blackbird has a Donovan vibe, it's a lovely melody and tinged with a tincture of both hope and sadness. Gains points for getting an actual Blackbird into the studio to record vocals but those points are then deducted because it inspired Charles Manson to start a race war. It's more sedate, introspective and subtle than BITUSSR, but the latter wins out because of its bustling excitement.

Group D

For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping

Both euphonious, but FNO is the more appropriate length; IOS goes on longer than it needs and the backward solos add nothing but a gimmick in my opinion.

Help! vs Get Back

I like the way Help! just dives right into it from the off, no messing. The harmonies are Beach Boys level awesomeness and it's a classic.

Although a little old-hat and cliched, I love the bluesy rhythm of Get Back, the bursts of guitar-work that add to the texture, interspersed with the electric piano which reminds me of The Doors in their latter days on stuff like Roadhouse Blues. GB is one of favourites so gets my vote.

I've been reading Michael Caine's autobiography and he mentions hanging out with John Lennon. He describes him as "tough and no-nonsense". They were in a mansion somewhere in Hollywood when they needed to use the toilets. They were full so John decided to piss out a window, exclaiming "fcuk 'em, they're rich!".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Group C

Back in the U.S.S.R vs Blackbird

Group D

Help! vs Get Back

running out of things to say about these, but they're all pretty close contests, no weak songs left at this stage; though I don't see any of these going all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

This is hard, very hard. I love all of these songs but to be honest out of the four get back would be my least favourite

Group C

And Your Bird Can Sing
    Blackbird

Group D

For No One
    Help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Group C

Back in the U.S.S.R vs Blackbird - tough one this. Very different songs, but I really like both of them.

Group D

Help! vs Get Back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Group C -

Eleanor Rigby vs And Your Bird Can Sing: I'm a big fan of AYBCS, I'd vote for it against most songs, it's a really cool tune, but it isn't as wholly accomplished and impressive as Eleanor Rigby.

Back In The USSR vs Blackbird: Blackbird gets the vote here for its simple beauty and Paul's - maybe not entirely intentional - poetic and poignant lyrics.

Group D -

For No One vs I'm Only Sleeping: IOS is a great track, but FNO is on another level to it.

Help vs Get Back: Both of these tunes are great, so whatever goes through here is fine, but I marginally prefer Help because it's from the heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Through to the next round

Group C
    Eleanor Rigby
    Blackbird

Group D
    For No One
    Get Back

Group E

Paperback Writer

vs

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Here Comes The Sun

vs

Got to Get You Into my Life

Group E

Paperback Writer vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Here Comes The Sun vs Got to Get You Into My Life

Group F

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds

vs

Come Together

Nowhere Man

vs

In My Life

Group F

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Come Together
    Nowhere Man vs In My Life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Group E

Here Comes The Sun

Group F

In My Life

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group E

Here Comes The Sun
    vs Got to Get You Into My Life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group E

Here Comes The Sun

Ultimately the first match came down to the fact I'd be more likely to throw on While My Guitar Gently Weeps on Spotify over Paperback Writer if I was just looking for a quick Beatles fix, but wouldn't mind too much if PW lived to see another round either.

Second match was an easier choice, vastly prefer Here Comes The Sun.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F

Come Together
    In My Life

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Group F

Come Together
    In My Life

Didn't need to give this one a second thought, much like Eleanor Rigby and Blackbird last night, Come Together and In My Life are another two of my absolute favourites. At this stage of the tournament though, whatever songs go through deserve to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group E

Here Comes The Sun

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Group F

In My Life

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group E

These were straightforward decisions for me, I like PW and HCTS way more than the other two, which are very good in their own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,308 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Group F

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Group F

This was another tie where I have definite preferences. I think Nowhere Man was the weakest song left in the round for me, so it was never going to compete with In My Life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Nowhere Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Group E

Strained, high demented vocals, the contagious constant beat; it's a belter that just rocks the socks from the beginning. Like a song The Monkees would sing while running in and out of doors on their whacky TV show.

WMGGW is good, with superb guitar playing. It reminds me of All The Young Dudes. But there's no characteristic and/or atypical vocal hook. It's self-indulgent, one-paced and too long.

Love the brass sections on GTGYITML, the verse and chorus hooks dig deep into the flesh, but it just falls short of classic status.

What can be said about HCTS? George Harrison's peak. So brilliant even my mother likes it -and she listens to Bagatelle and Nathan Carter. A bunch of instruments that blend effortlessly, I particularly like the smidgen of Moog Synthesizer around the 1:45 mark.

Group F

Dulcet organ (?) intro, catchy vocals, followed by echo/reverb whackiness and a thumping chorus. I'm not surprised it's about LSD! Great song.

Come Together has skilful, unique drumming for pop at the onset, but plonks and plunders along soporifically to an underwhelming "chorus"- if the word can even be applied- and instrumental solos which can barely raise a pulse. It's a slog with nonsense lyrics even by Beatles standards. Ok.

IML is a beautful, nostalgic, dreamy song, sentimental without veering into sappiness, with a melodious keyboard instrument solo, almost 'French' sounding. The perfect length. Nowhere Man on the other hand...

Impactful, multi-layered, plangent vocals, appealing tone to the acoustic guitar, production excellent. The short solo and indeed the song in general remind me of Greenday's Nimrod album for some reason. I'm a miserable git so I relate more to its lyrics than IML, which is the main reason it gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Group E

Here Comes The Sun

Group F

Come Together
    In My Life

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

group e

paperback writer
    here comes the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F

In My Life

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Group E

Group F

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Come Together - This was a really tough one to choose between. The rockier bluesier song just got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,020 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Group E
    Paperback Writer vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps - I dunno. I like both of these. There are some brilliant versions of WMGGW knocking around, which makes the original seem less impressive.. that's about all I've got influencing me away from it at the mo. But really it's a toss-up.
    Here Comes The Sun vs Got to Get You Into My Life - I expect HCTS to win, but it's a bit too twee for me, and GTGYIML has a nice edge and emotion to it.

Group F
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Come Together - It does have an undeniably good groove.
    Nowhere Man vs The Solo in In My Life - Fine :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭abff

Group E

Here Comes The Sun
    vs Got to Get You Into My Life

Group F

• Registered Users Posts: 14,786 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Group E

Paperback Writer vs While My Guitar Gently Weeps - these are both fairly lyrically shallow, but great musically. PW shades it with the harmonies.
    Here Comes The Sun vs Got to Get You Into My Life - easy win for ...Sun

Group F

Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds vs Come Together - I'm not a huge fan of LSD. eh, by which I mean...
    Nowhere Man vs In My Life - how is Nowhere Man still here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,268 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Group E

Paperback Writer
    Here Comes The Sun

Group F

Come Together
    In My Life

Advertisement