Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BIK on EVs.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ruaneg

More detail here on irish times -> https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/call-to-cap-tax-relief-on-electric-vehicles-at-40-000-1.4675926

On the zero BIK rate on electric vehicles, while the Department of Transport supports an extension of this rate for three more years, the group proposes that any extension could be coupled with a down-scaling of the threshold. It suggests, for example, dropping it to €40,000 for the first year, €30,000 for the second year and €20,000 for the third year, before it expires at the end of 2025.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

That is v interesting - thanks for sharing. I did some digging and found the report with the recommendations. Another one (and unwelcome) is the proposal to downscale the €50k limit each year by €10k.. From the report:-

Ireland has a generous BIK regime when compared with other jurisdictions in Europe. Effective BIK rates are higher in the UK, for example. The primary variable in the UK is the level of CO2 emissions, with no consideration given to mileage. If a company car has CO2 emissions of 1 to 50g/km, the value of the car is based on its zero emission mileage figure, or ‘electric range’. This is the distance the car can go on electric power before its batteries need recharging. Pure EVs have 0% BIK for financial year 2020/2021, 1% for 21/22, and 2% for 22/23. A ‘typical’ PHEV can do around 25 miles on battery power alone and will have 49gCO2/km, and would be liable for a BIK of just 12-14%. From 2022, the BIK rate will range from 2% in EVs and ULEVs, up to 37% for the highest-emitting (plus 4% for Diesels not certified with the EU’s Real Driving Emissions test). 34 The UK BIK rate is, therefore, much stricter than the Irish one due to be brought in from 2023, and with a broader range to reward/punish vehicles according to their emissions.

The Dept. Transport have supported an extension of the 0% BIK rate for three further years. This is in an effort to support sales in the leasing sector, which are considered important to providing EVs to the second hand market after typical lease cycles (approx 3 years). The zero BIK rate for EVs was always intended as a temporary measure to kick start their uptake and is due to expire at end 2022. In the context of an extension, consideration should be given to the €50,000 value threshold from an equity and value for money perspective. Any extension of the 0% rate each year could be coupled with a down-scaling of the threshold, e.g. down to €40,000 for the first year, €30,000 for the second year, €20,000 for the third year, before expiring in at end 2025. From 2026 on, EVs would be taxed per the emission-based table legislated for in Finance Act 2020.

If you have the time, you can read the full list of recommendations here: https://assets.gov.ie/198270/61142180-955c-458e-a7fb-695768ddd8e4.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Promising alright. Regardless of cost, if the govt are serious about EV takeup then they have to promote purchases of them now so there are 2nd hand ones for others to purchase in 3 to 5 years time. They are expensive for a huge proportion of the population but people are genuinely interested, I have just gotten the go ahead to get one through the company. Problem is availabilty!

Had a look at ID3 and ID4 on Tuesday in local dealership and taking them for a spin tomorrow afternoon. Only problem I see is its a step down in interior quality from my current A6 (ID4 was nice, ID3 was average)so also going to look at Audi Q4 etron, but getting expensive there and will have to certainly pay a small amount of BIK on one of those. But I will be pocketing the proceeds of my A6 (15/16K) so dont mind too much. Might be a bit expensive for a 40 model with long range but the 35 would suit me too. Work charger and home charger available. I would exceed the range of the car about twice a month on work trips from Dublin to Limerick and to Cork.

Anything else I should be looking at? Realistically I would love an Audi/BMW Saloon but not available yet really. BMW are gone ugly too in my opinion, the ix series are horrible. Not a big fan of Merc. The Kia and Hyundai new stuff looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

personally I'd certainly be looking at and taking for a spin, the Ioniq 5 and EV 6 as you suggested. The space, comfort, tech and power should be entertaining.

Yes, the Kia and Hyundai stuff would never have been on my radar before but they certainly are now. Bit of a badge snob! But I am fairly sure I will get more for my money with one of those. However, they are far from cheap, like everything else these days. Huge strides made from those 2 brands.

A neighbour has the ioniq 5. It's certainly very striking and different looking. I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

re badge snob...my wife has had a general rule that a car should be petrol powered and preferably a v6. It took a lot of convincing to get her into a bmw530e last year becuase of the little engine, however she bought one and loves it. Having said that if both cars are in the driveway she will always take the Kia Soul instead. The smoothness of EV's coupled with 200+ bhp just make them very nice to drive. The Ioniq 5 and EV 6 would be a very significant step up again.

I'll report back on various threads here as I see and test them. I presume I amn't in with a hope of getting any sort of discount from any of them??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭wassie

Not in the current market with reduced production due to the current chip shortages. Along with no discount, expect extended wait times, especially for popular models.

..back on topic, looking forward to the budget next month now based on what we are seeing here. Hopefully the Govt adopts these recommendations.

Took the id3 and id4 for a spin today. Liked them both, thought the id3 was a bit nicer to drive but the id4 nicer inside. That said, coming from a well specced A6 the interiors of both ID's was a huuuuuge step down. I know the reasons, sustainability, weight saving etc but for 45 to 50k cars I just don't think I could spend it. Lots of wind noise in both over 100kmph too, and not windy day today. The ICE VWs in the dealerships had lovely interiors.

Went over to audi dealership then to look at q4 etron and there was a queue to drive them so I just had a look at it. I imagine it drives similar to the ID's anyway, which is no bad thing.

Much nicer than the ID cars, obviously more money too, but still not up to A6 standards. Or, just like VW, the standards of some of the other Audis in there. A7 there was much nicer than the etron GT inside too despite being 30k cheaper. Bigger original etron was nice but not on par with similarly priced ICE cars.

Bit of a letdown altogether to be honest. I'll still go EV, especially if budget next month extends BIK. There's definitely a trade off going on with interior design and quality and EV drive train though at any given price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭innrain

Just to complete the rounds try the Ioniq5 and a Model3.

• Advertisement

Yep I like the ioniq5. Tesla probably still the best ev around but I know I'll hate the interior. Ev6 from Kia looks promising too. There will be class stuff in next while too as they become mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Model 3 is the best selling EV in the world for a reason. SR+ is decent value, similar to what you said above. Very efficient compared to the SUV shapes especially for longer trips. Tesla super charging is a huge perk, if it covers your occasional longer routes.

Regarding the interior, after a few weeks you'll be wondering why other cars have all those surplus buttons and multiple screens you don't need. User interface is well designed and works great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Sorry for my dumbness here, how would the annual reduction to 40k, 30k, 20k etc effect BIK paid if there's zero % BIK to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

i would say if your car cost 50k this year it is free, next year on 40k you would pay BIK on the 10k depending on your mileage.

If your new car price is over the new value you'll be paying on the difference, like now it's only 0% on the first 50k.

Car is 60k you pay BIK on 10k, new figure is 30k you pay BIK on 30k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm not in the BIK world but this is all good news, whatever gets more EVs on the road is all that matters, these will also make their way to the used markets in a few years time which again will be welcomed

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Ok thanks. But is it on the first year's valuation only? i.e. if i get a car and it's 50k OMV in 2022 (so no BIK) do they reduce MY exposure in 2023 to 40k (thus I pay whatever the going rate on 10k) or will it just apply to new entrants each year and my 50k OMV car from 2022 stays at 0%?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

BIK applies on the price of the new car irrespective of how old it is - so, if you bought an ID3 in 2020 for 50k, your BIK liability in 2025 is 50K (with the 2025 tax calculations)

Anyone thinking of opting out of your company's company car?

Need to do the maths, but it looks feasible now as EVs get the same mileage allowance as ICE cars. Depends on the annual allowance given to you by the company.

Not a chance.

Besides not having to pay any motor tax, insurance, running costs, service costs (minimal with EV - mainly tyres & annual small service/safety check), no BIK at present......I don't have the hassle of managing any of this either.

Also I worry less about the upkeep of my car as opposed to one I owned myself in order to preserve resale.

BIK not an issue for the time being at least until the end of next year also.

• Advertisement

I'd get an allowance of €8500 a year (taxable) and then mileage allowance (civil service rates). Reckon I'd be down to 30,000 kms a year now but that would still allow me pay €50k on an EV and have money over every month, even when service, charging, insurance and all are accounted for

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Casperbhoy

Hi All, Is there a BIK calculator for buying an EV - company car? Im considering the EV6 at the moment but its above the 50k threshold

Cheers

Just Google "BIK calculator Ireland" and your sorted.

Just be aware that the current arrangement (exemption) is in place until the end of 2022 (next year). What happens after that will most likely be confirmed in the up coming budget this month.

You only pay BIK on the value over 50000. Note that's pre grant price

Thanks MM, So if the car is 60K. I pay BIK on the 10K. I expecting low mileage - 8-10k a year.

Anyone know of a BIK calculator. I genuinely don't understand how its calculated or how revenue get their coin.

Cheers

If electric car is under 50k then it's bik exempt until end of 2022. Keep an eye on budget next week. If you are looking at electric cars over 50k, put the price above 50k into the calculator. Its going to be pretty minimal unless you're getting something for serious money.

Thanks, be interesting to see what happens Tuesday. The government need to provide a long term commitment. Potential buyers like myself will not invest in an EV if there is uncertainty. Just my take...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭championc

But go the ICE route and expect hikes in taxes / excise duty, and then an asset which will have less and less resale value the closer we get to 2030

Absolutely they do need to incentivise. So do the manufacturers or else they are going to remain niche. Currently they're way overpriced for what they are. I was in vw and audi garages recently looking at id3, id4 and q4 etron and for what they are, they are all overpriced. Wouldn't appeal to many car enthusiasts. Suv tend to be overpriced anyway but electric ones, there are huge corners cut to keep them under a price point.

I don't think the govt will continue to support them though, all concerned about foregone tax revenue today and not forward thinking at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Are we expecting anything concrete around the BIK scheme being extended in the budget today? It has another year to run but they really need to give people an assurance now that they can buy and run the car BIK free for X number of years if they're going to do it instead of waiting til next year.

Advertisement