Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resident Evil Reboot (not Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Colour me surprised on this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(2021_film)

It's actually legit and seems to be a faithful adaptation (with a few changes), with the actors posting on Instagram during their time on set as well as images going around of the mansion and orphanage, in which you'll see here:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3644681/resident-evil-film-reboot-release-date-tentatively-set-september-2021/

I would have a concern that the cast is slightly CW in nature but I suppose that was to be inevitable, and to be fair they seem to be amongst the upper echelon of that calibre of actor.

Good and hopeful news for fans anyway, who have probably heard of Netflix's plans for a show "inspired" by the series, which is to revolve around the daughters of Albert Wesker apparently.

Sorry if I'm getting old but what's CW?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

p to the e wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm getting old but what's CW?

It’s the network that makes series like The100, Riverdale, and all the Arrowverse.

The use young and good looking casts and aim for the teen market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ah gotcha. "One Tree Hill" and "Smallville" and the likes.

I'm excited about this release but somewhat cautious. I saw the original Resident Evil in the cinema so many years ago and was so disappointed that I haven't watched any of the next dozen or so sequels. That house looks amazing though. Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

Only recently finished it on the PS4. The camera angles nearly drove me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Only recently finished it on the PS4. The camera angles nearly drove me insane.

Yeah, I played it when it came out originally on PS1 and just finished Chris' runthrough on the PS4. I don't think I'm arsed playing Jill's runthrough. Nostalgia is a terrible thing.

It would be great if it got a modern reboot like the RE2 and RE3. I'd love to play that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Big Resident Evil fan, the films were mostly dirt but still watched them!

This one hopefully is good and stays as close to the game as possible. Like the posters above said, I played the remake of RE2 and RE3 on the playstation in the last year and they were awesome. I think they're remaking 4 too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So it's now officially titled "Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City". And the director is saying that apart from the games, his main inspirations for this were Carpenter's The Fog, and Assault on Precinct 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm excited about this release but somewhat cautious. I saw the original Resident Evil in the cinema so many years ago and was so disappointed that I haven't watched any of the next dozen or so sequels. That house looks amazing though. Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

Same here, i was disapointed with the RE film because it would of been far better if they copied the game and did a horror film rather than the action film the did. The film sequels are worse. Cant wait for this film, fingers crossed.
    Yeah i played the remake on the gamecube and the PS4, 10/10 game for me although the RE2 remake is a little better.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So it's now officially titled "Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City". And the director is saying that apart from the games, his main inspirations for this were Carpenter's The Fog, and Assault on Precinct 13.

He directed 47 Meters Down and its sequel so he will be going for a claustrophobic feel to this then going by those two films he named and his own work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

Would be looking forward to it. I enjoy the first two Paul WS Anderson movies for the corny, camp fun, they have some charm to them and I've watched those ones a few times.

Admittedly they don't exactly do the Resident Evil franchise justice though and only the 2nd one has any real sort of connection to the games.

And they get progressively more terrible in the later sequels to almost "The Room" levels of bad filmmaking, especially the very last movie which was a complete trainwreck in a league of its own.

Nice to start over with a real opportunity to make a good movie that's more faithful to the source material, hopefully in tone and scope as well as plot wise.

• Advertisement

First look at some of the actors/characters in action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guess a trailer can't be far behind; after the Paul WS Anderson box-office juggernaut, will be interesting to see how much effort is made on a fresh start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hope that's trailer CGI because some of it doesn't look much better than the Resident Evil big boss dog.

Still, I love Kaya Scodelario and zombies, so let's do this.

It still feels like a really well done fan-made film to me, like some cosplayers hooked up with some VFX students.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No sign of Paul WS Anderson, that's the main thing.

I like the look of this.

Being real, that looks pretty bad, like they spent all their small budget on the actors and couldn't afford proper effects. Those dogs and some of the other visual effects are 1999 level CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I prefer low budget effects for horror tbh, it works better than having some rubber looking yoke made from modern CGI on screen.

Mind you the Claire actor looks absolutely awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks very tatty all right, not that the prior series was the home of stellar CGI either. Seems to be playing it razor straight too - which doesn't seem like the right tonal choice for Resident Evil. Not full camp, but some operatic excess wouldn't go amiss.

Would take some doing though if this struck out so badly it made Anderson's own films look better. I'll be curious now to see what Netflix's own live action Res. Evil series does in comparison (apparently its main characters will be the children of Wesker).

It looks like it is caught between an The Asylum budget and Blumhouse budget.

Probably turn out it cost a lot more than any Blumhouse picture to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They're staying loyal to the games and using PS1 graphics. 😀

Saw someone compare it to the Doom film that came out a couple years ago. (Side note: a Doom film came out a couple years ago)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks different enough from the earlier films to count.

Feels like the difference I felt after.. I first saw the film and then saw someone playing one of the games.

I assume this one is for the game players.. has there been much reaction from them?

I play the games and I thought the first three of the Anderson movies were fairly OK as adaptations/general zombie movies go. Not at all faithful to the material obviously, but enough fan service that adds nicely to the brainless fun. The only one that's anyway related to the games really is Resident Evil Apocalypse.

After the 3rd one though, they're more or less terrible and nothing whatsoever to do with the games, and are just increasingly bad movies anyway regardless, culminating in the unbelievably bad final film, which was just so..... utterly dreadful, incoherent and lazy.

This new one looks more faithful to Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2, but looks cheap as hell. Getting very "Starship Troopers 3" vibes off it - big concept, low budget.

I don't really get it, surely if you're gonna go low budget, you might as well make a proper, low-key horror movie based on the first game where such a budget can be massively effective. I'm not even a huge fan of the first game but it's the perfect setting for a grim, atmospheric zombie horror that doesn't need much investment.

I've only watched the first 3 Anderson films; actually no. I think I watched the 4th but I'm not sure (it was set in a tower, and there was a set-piece with a wee air-plane I think?).

I had heard the films got increasingly unhinged, ludicrous and technically sloppy as they went on; so had a little YouTUbe and ... oh my god. I had to stop this clip halfway through 'cos the speed of the cuts was making my eyes sore. I don't get motion sick but ye gods.

Yeah that's the last film. Putting aside the absurdly nonsensical plotline even by the standards of Sharknado-level movies, the editing is the worst I have ever seen on screen. In some scenes there's about 5 jump cuts per second, it's impossible to follow what's going on in half the action scenes.

I think they're all "bad" past the 3rd movie, Extinction, but The Final Chapter is next-level, 1/10 film-making.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I did a quick re-playthrough of RE2, that Skins actress just doesn't strike me as Claire at all especially based on the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

She's nearly 30 I think, Claire in the games is meant to be 18 or there abouts afaik. Bad decision to ram the first 2 games together it seems already. Message in journal was 4 Itchy Tasty so even the window with the 4 not in there is already a minor gripe ha.

The famous Jill Sandwich has been confirmed, of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Didn't think that Kaya Scodelario was necessarily a good fit for Claire. Still she seems closer than Wesker or Jill.

Will be curious as to how Barry turns out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The more I see would be shocked if it isn't anything but rubbish now.

Advertisement