Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resident Evil Reboot (not Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Colour me surprised on this one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_Evil_(2021_film)

It's actually legit and seems to be a faithful adaptation (with a few changes), with the actors posting on Instagram during their time on set as well as images going around of the mansion and orphanage, in which you'll see here:

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3644681/resident-evil-film-reboot-release-date-tentatively-set-september-2021/

I would have a concern that the cast is slightly CW in nature but I suppose that was to be inevitable, and to be fair they seem to be amongst the upper echelon of that calibre of actor.

Good and hopeful news for fans anyway, who have probably heard of Netflix's plans for a show "inspired" by the series, which is to revolve around the daughters of Albert Wesker apparently.

Sorry if I'm getting old but what's CW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,878 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

p to the e wrote: »
    Sorry if I'm getting old but what's CW?

It’s the network that makes series like The100, Riverdale, and all the Arrowverse.

The use young and good looking casts and aim for the teen market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Ah gotcha. "One Tree Hill" and "Smallville" and the likes.

I'm excited about this release but somewhat cautious. I saw the original Resident Evil in the cinema so many years ago and was so disappointed that I haven't watched any of the next dozen or so sequels. That house looks amazing though. Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

Only recently finished it on the PS4. The camera angles nearly drove me insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Only recently finished it on the PS4. The camera angles nearly drove me insane.

Yeah, I played it when it came out originally on PS1 and just finished Chris' runthrough on the PS4. I don't think I'm arsed playing Jill's runthrough. Nostalgia is a terrible thing.

It would be great if it got a modern reboot like the RE2 and RE3. I'd love to play that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭BazBox

Big Resident Evil fan, the films were mostly dirt but still watched them!

This one hopefully is good and stays as close to the game as possible. Like the posters above said, I played the remake of RE2 and RE3 on the playstation in the last year and they were awesome. I think they're remaking 4 too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So it's now officially titled "Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City". And the director is saying that apart from the games, his main inspirations for this were Carpenter's The Fog, and Assault on Precinct 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

I'm excited about this release but somewhat cautious. I saw the original Resident Evil in the cinema so many years ago and was so disappointed that I haven't watched any of the next dozen or so sequels. That house looks amazing though. Anyone ever play the remake version that was released for the Gamecube? Was unbelievable.

Same here, i was disapointed with the RE film because it would of been far better if they copied the game and did a horror film rather than the action film the did. The film sequels are worse. Cant wait for this film, fingers crossed.
    Yeah i played the remake on the gamecube and the PS4, 10/10 game for me although the RE2 remake is a little better.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So it's now officially titled "Resident Evil: Welcome to Raccoon City". And the director is saying that apart from the games, his main inspirations for this were Carpenter's The Fog, and Assault on Precinct 13.

He directed 47 Meters Down and its sequel so he will be going for a claustrophobic feel to this then going by those two films he named and his own work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Would be looking forward to it. I enjoy the first two Paul WS Anderson movies for the corny, camp fun, they have some charm to them and I've watched those ones a few times.

Admittedly they don't exactly do the Resident Evil franchise justice though and only the 2nd one has any real sort of connection to the games.

And they get progressively more terrible in the later sequels to almost "The Room" levels of bad filmmaking, especially the very last movie which was a complete trainwreck in a league of its own.

Nice to start over with a real opportunity to make a good movie that's more faithful to the source material, hopefully in tone and scope as well as plot wise.

• Advertisement

First look at some of the actors/characters in action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guess a trailer can't be far behind; after the Paul WS Anderson box-office juggernaut, will be interesting to see how much effort is made on a fresh start.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I hope that's trailer CGI because some of it doesn't look much better than the Resident Evil big boss dog.

Still, I love Kaya Scodelario and zombies, so let's do this.

It still feels like a really well done fan-made film to me, like some cosplayers hooked up with some VFX students.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,533 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No sign of Paul WS Anderson, that's the main thing.

I like the look of this.

Being real, that looks pretty bad, like they spent all their small budget on the actors and couldn't afford proper effects. Those dogs and some of the other visual effects are 1999 level CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I prefer low budget effects for horror tbh, it works better than having some rubber looking yoke made from modern CGI on screen.

Mind you the Claire actor looks absolutely awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It looks very tatty all right, not that the prior series was the home of stellar CGI either. Seems to be playing it razor straight too - which doesn't seem like the right tonal choice for Resident Evil. Not full camp, but some operatic excess wouldn't go amiss.

Would take some doing though if this struck out so badly it made Anderson's own films look better. I'll be curious now to see what Netflix's own live action Res. Evil series does in comparison (apparently its main characters will be the children of Wesker).

It looks like it is caught between an The Asylum budget and Blumhouse budget.

Probably turn out it cost a lot more than any Blumhouse picture to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

They're staying loyal to the games and using PS1 graphics. 😀

Saw someone compare it to the Doom film that came out a couple years ago. (Side note: a Doom film came out a couple years ago)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks different enough from the earlier films to count.

Feels like the difference I felt after.. I first saw the film and then saw someone playing one of the games.

I assume this one is for the game players.. has there been much reaction from them?

I play the games and I thought the first three of the Anderson movies were fairly OK as adaptations/general zombie movies go. Not at all faithful to the material obviously, but enough fan service that adds nicely to the brainless fun. The only one that's anyway related to the games really is Resident Evil Apocalypse.

After the 3rd one though, they're more or less terrible and nothing whatsoever to do with the games, and are just increasingly bad movies anyway regardless, culminating in the unbelievably bad final film, which was just so..... utterly dreadful, incoherent and lazy.

This new one looks more faithful to Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2, but looks cheap as hell. Getting very "Starship Troopers 3" vibes off it - big concept, low budget.

I don't really get it, surely if you're gonna go low budget, you might as well make a proper, low-key horror movie based on the first game where such a budget can be massively effective. I'm not even a huge fan of the first game but it's the perfect setting for a grim, atmospheric zombie horror that doesn't need much investment.

I've only watched the first 3 Anderson films; actually no. I think I watched the 4th but I'm not sure (it was set in a tower, and there was a set-piece with a wee air-plane I think?).

I had heard the films got increasingly unhinged, ludicrous and technically sloppy as they went on; so had a little YouTUbe and ... oh my god. I had to stop this clip halfway through 'cos the speed of the cuts was making my eyes sore. I don't get motion sick but ye gods.

Yeah that's the last film. Putting aside the absurdly nonsensical plotline even by the standards of Sharknado-level movies, the editing is the worst I have ever seen on screen. In some scenes there's about 5 jump cuts per second, it's impossible to follow what's going on in half the action scenes.

I think they're all "bad" past the 3rd movie, Extinction, but The Final Chapter is next-level, 1/10 film-making.

I did a quick re-playthrough of RE2, that Skins actress just doesn't strike me as Claire at all especially based on the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

She's nearly 30 I think, Claire in the games is meant to be 18 or there abouts afaik. Bad decision to ram the first 2 games together it seems already. Message in journal was 4 Itchy Tasty so even the window with the 4 not in there is already a minor gripe ha.

The famous Jill Sandwich has been confirmed, of sorts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Didn't think that Kaya Scodelario was necessarily a good fit for Claire. Still she seems closer than Wesker or Jill.

Will be curious as to how Barry turns out?

• Advertisement

The more I see would be shocked if it isn't anything but rubbish now.

So ya...this is indeed a bad movie.

Now it was a very simplistic watch and I was intrigued and even mildly entertained throughout if only due to constantly comparing to the games and it was over before I knew it.

There was numerous mistakes or perhaps maybe they were just genuine changes either way they were either poor or not done to any real impacting effect.

The Actors of Wesker (Hopper) and Chris (Amell) could have swapped roles and it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference.

Claire and Jill ended up basically being the same character strong women willing to snap at the slightest...makes sense for Jill given her work environment, Claire on the otherhand was born out of a frosty relationship with Chris seemingly instead of the caring one in the games.

Barry where's Barry? We never got to find out here wasn't even in the film same goes for Rebecca.

Leon was an over exaggerated comic relief character, just hopeless on all counts.

Time frame of events were noted throughout, waste of time.

There is a mid credits scene (total crap too btw), seemingly setting up a sequel.

Overall watch it out of interest with low expectations and you'll be grand for a one time popcorn watch, it's better than 2 possibly 3 of the Paul WS Anderson movies (who is actually an executive producer here ffs) which I know isn't saying much. It's a real wasted opportunity and a shame they never delivered a more genuine horror film which I was led to believe was the point of the exercise.

I wouldn't be surprised if a sequel actually doesn't come to fruition, it looks to have flopped and may just about claw back the 20m or so budget, The last Paul WS Anderson one made over 300 feckin' million!!

Not as bad as I expected and way more faithful to the games than any of the previous movies.

Budget though was just way too small for the scale and ambition of the narrative.

Looks cheap, bad effects, weak ineffective zombie scenes. And it utterly completely fails to portray Raccoon City as a real, living town.

More like a bunch of people wandering around a few deserted buildings with the odd zombie thrown in.

Still somewhat entertaining, not as bad as any of the Anderson movies post Extinction.

If you knew nothing about the games I'd say it'd be a flat out 3/10.

For me, I'd say 5/10 is about right. It feels and looks like the first two episodes of a Resident Evil tv show on the CW.

As faithful as we've gotten to date, but the budget is just not there.

CW? Yikes. :(

Had a feeling from the casting of the film it could end up like that.

I saw this last week, preferred it to all the other RE films put together but it was disappointing. I thought it looked great though, a cheesy creature feature from the 90's, they really nailed that vibe. After the trailers showed the mansion and RE2 events I wondered how that would work but they tied them together well. The whole thing is let down by the budget though. They must have spent all the money on Birkins effects. Lots of easter eggs from the games which were cool. Leon was a joke, what were they thinking there? 3/5 from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,669 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well that was pretty bad all round - nothing like the first film

Follow the game story but to have zombies that literally grab hold of you and then just shake their head around - ermmm

Honourable mention to the worst cgi cow ever presented on screen - your sacrifice is remembered

Surprised they didn't go full on POV with some scenes

Hard to believe the original is 20 years ago and was far better than this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they referenced the Jill Sandwich :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,283 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Needed more Slipknot. 😀

They really liked to remind you of when it was set with the references and tech.

Was thinking if they really wanted to be loyal to the games they would've had very convoluted methods to get to the armoury and all like collecting 2 pieces of a coat of arms but then they did have the piano lock.

Having only completed the Remake of the first and original second on the gamecube, I may get another couple played before the unlikely sequel to this.

Overall though I liked it for what it was but didn't think it did too much to set itself apart from many other zombie films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

Rented this on YouTube last night. It is indeed a bad movie.

If you're not familiar with the games it's not worth watching at all but I have to admit that I had a blast for the first 30 minutes or so spotting Easter eggs, you can tell that the director is a fan of the games which is a nice change of pace from the Paul Anderson movies.

The casting and depiction of certain characters just left me scratching my head. Claire is a college student at the time of RE2, was a 30 year old the best choice of actor to play her here? As an aside I don't rate Scodelario but I have only seen her in Skins when she was very young and she wasn't terrible here in fairness, just a strange choice for the role imo.

Chris and Wesker - generic soldier boys. I would say that's a fair enough depiction of Chris because that's basically what he is but Wesker is kne of the most eccentric long running villains in any game series out there but his personality is just missing here. Big misstep.

Jill has been re-imagined as African American. I'll be careful with what I say here. There is obviously a desire to see greater representation of ethnic minorities in movies & TV shows these days, which is grand. The world has changed and almost a quarter of a century has passed since RE2 was made, so it would make sense that if this story were to be retold, there would be greater diversity to be seen amongst the characters. However, this movie goes absolutely out of its way to remind you that it's set in 1998, so the retrospective reimaging of Jill doesn't make any sense here.

Jill (the character) is actually of Japanese descent so if there was desire here to make her a different race and clearly there was, then she probably should have been Japanese, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Leon, hoo boy. He has also been relieved of his whiteness and is now of Indian descent. Not saying any more on the race thing but the depiction of this character, it really seems like they went out of their way to annoy fans of the series, which kinda runs counter to everything else they did with this movie. And again, a 30YO actor playing a 21 year old character, not ideal.

Jill and Claire are unflappable badasses. Makes sense in Jill's case, makes no sense with Claire, not at this point in the story. Leon is a totally incompetent idiot who doesn't know how to shoot a gun but somehow manages to figure out a rocket launcher by the end, go figure.

The set design looks cool initially, especially the RPD. However the RPD and mansion ultimately end up just feeling hollow and are never really explored beyond a surface level.

Theres a really, really stupid scene in the mansion with Chris and his lighter.

The movie runs out of steam after about an hour and limps toward its conculsion. 4/10 for me and that's only because I enjoyed the Easter eggs at the start. Without them it's a putrid 2/10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Watched this last night and enjoyed it, much better than any of the Anderson films.

The first half is much better than the second half. It was a half decent horror film with loads of very important references to the games, the director clearly understood the appeal of the games.

Glad to see the film made a profit and hope to see a sequel.

Advertisement