Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kin - RTE & AMC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Maybe there was something going on back in the day, but hardly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I think the next episode is big for the show. A heist is a great opportunity for doing some high-tension scenes, putting "safe" characters like Amanda in a bit of danger, and inevitably a bit of action when it goes wrong. Writing wise, I think it was a good choice that it's family-only who are going as it increases the stakes a fair bit.

I hope they don't do something stupid like have the majority of the heist happen off-screen, it should really be the centrepiece of the whole episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I agree. There didn't appear to be a great deal of planning for the heist but I guess if they know the location, layout and numbers defending the place there's not much else to glean. Four guys taking on 10/12 and reinforced doors of course. I'd expect the Kinsellas to pretend to be seeking to buy at first and then surprise them. Could be good or may be a damp squib. Much of the series hinges on this episode I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,694 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

He is married to a producer (if not an executive producer) of BRON media, she could even be their CEO.

• Advertisement

That’s not how it works though. You don’t just show up at a drug wholesale warehouse looking to buy 200kg of drugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,143 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I was thinking about the heist and how dumb it is. So they're going stealing from Con (or whatever his name is) who supplies Eamon for the whole of Ireland. I assume Con also supplies other national dealers. So they're going to make an even bigger enemy of Eamon, Eamons dealers who won't get their supply as well as Con as well as his dealers.

All the gangs know the Kinsellas and where they live so if they continue living in the same houses/businesses it's not very believable. It would be simple to throw petrol bombs into Amandas car dealership, shoot Nikita in the salon, Birdy is a sitting duck in that house. Even Anna could be kidnapped as everyone knows she's a Kinsella!

So they're willing to make massive enemies out of all these people yet Frank going to Belgium on his own to meet a Tunisian guy was apparently too risky? (no one even offered to go with him btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There is all that but it's a tv show not a documentary at the end of the day .....suspension of reality a bit maybe rather than overthinking it

I mean I loved the first Matrix film for example, you wouldn't buy into any of it matter of factly 🤣

There is a certain amount of suspension of disbelieve but....

.... then you get the second two matrix films!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Was never a fan of the follow ups, don't know why ......you left the first one thinking there has to be more.....then you left the others thinking they should have just left it alone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I've not watched this yet but seeing it's on AMC has me wondering about Love Hate.

Was Love Hate ever picked up by a major streaming site?

AMC are the main funders of the project along with Screen Ireland (AKA The Irish Film Board). Love/Hate was fully funded by RTÉ, picked up by Netflix at one point and the first 2 season got to Channel 5 in the UK. Both get funding from Section 481 tax break, I still have no idea how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

The scenes between Michael and Anna, christ almighty...

It's a little difficult to get past the terrible acting, particularly in these scenes, I don't remember it being this bad in Love Hate. It may have been. Maybe there's some nostalgia at play here.

I'll persevere for now as there are some good performances, I think the Eric character is really well acted.

Normally no, but they're in a position of desperation and it'd be closer to 5kg they'd be looking to buy. What other option would they have? If they come in all guns blazing the reinforced doors and security protection will be shut down within seconds.

Anyway I assume the episode iis already available online so spoilers on the way soon.

They pull off the heist and they then can supply all other national dealers. At cut price and then turn them all on Eamonn. Would that soothe their worries?

All hypothetical, let's see what happens with the heist first.

They can't sustain being able to provide all the dealers surely. So hard to think they'll turn on Eamonn. And Eamonn has all the money behind him anyway.

Why not? The dealers will come to whomever has the product.

And how do we know Eamonn has all the money, he could have invested badly or just be hanging on. Probably not but we don't know any backstory bar him meeting his ex-wife..

And where are they going to get the product when their stolen goods run out?

Eamon is portrayed as the top dog, with all the muscle. Yet the Kinsellas are going take over his business with no outside drug connections or muscle?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Well he has stated that they are all dead, so kind of hard to make things worse.

• Advertisement

If they cut off the current supply from Eamon and weaken his hold they're in a position to establish contact with his suppliers. Eamonn will look very weak if he can't supply people for 5/6 weeks (a complete guess on the stash).

The suppliers wouldn't like a disruption to the status quo but money counts. Though realistically, for the Kinsellas to usurp power would need to cut off the head of the Hydra.

It's all hypothetical, and almost certainly nonsensical guessing, but the family will have to do something drastic to survive. They can't function alongside Eamon for the future. Maybe Amanda does a deal with him to hand over Eric and Frank in return for the safety of herself, Jimmy, Michael and her son?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just finished episode 5 and enjoyed it. Shaping up nicely...

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

You're probably right, it's reckless and maybe dumb. But I remember watching Vic Mackey in The Shield robbing the russian mafia "money train" and thinking that's insane, but still enjoying it. Isn't that what characters in tv shows do?

Now that was a show. Got pretty daft but one of the very few series that didn't burn out before the end and finished really satisfactorily.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭J.P.1994

Yeah, it was brilliant - right to the end. Especially the ending, an almost perfect sign off.

Considering that no one will deal with the Kinsellas because of Eamon, I don't think anyone is fearful of the Kinsellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 xanike7

Finally got around to watching and while it's no love/hate, it's alright but its got some weird elements to it. The whole family dynamic is weird and outright confusing. So, there's a line that Eamon says to Frank, "you and your whole **** inbred family," I don't think that would just be a random insult he would say. So I assume this can be seen with the kiss on the lips that Birdy gave Michael in the first or second episode? That's just creepy as hell and not to mention that scene with Amanda and Jamie where she was like moaning, that was disturbing.

I'm also confused the most with how they're portraying Frank, is he supposed to be like a weak leader that no one takes seriously? I get that Aidan Gillen may not be the most convincing at playing a "terrifying gangster" but Frank so far is written as one of the least effective crime bosses ever. Though, I think his sexuality comes into play here, whether he's gay or bi, in that world, it would be hard to be well respected. Regardless, he doesn't even react when his orders are disobeyed, I dunno I thought they would make him a bit more imposing but he's a pushover. Nonetheless, I would imagine that this is just a whole set up to get Frank out of the way eventually and have Amanda take over I guess.

Yes Birdy is very hands on with Mikey. I thought initially they were mother and son but they're aunt and nephew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Bredabe

In the scene where Anthony was going to stay with his grandaunt after Jamie was killed.

He hugged his mum before he left with Birdy, there was something strange in the way he looked and hugged her, almost sexual .

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Nakita could be the mole they think they have though. When they were planning the hoist they were going on about it being family only and she was in the other room listening drinking tea with a smile on her face.

Idk it's the sort of drama where some of its a bit silly and drawn out yet you still find yourself watching it.

Advertisement