Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Crossfit alternatives

Options
  • 31-08-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

Been doing Crossfit for 2/3 years now but general life expenses are now leading me to question if I can continue to justify the price I'm paying for it, particularly as my current place is putting up their prices (close to €160/month for 3 classes per week). Most other Crossfit gyms within a reasonable distance are also a fairly similar price.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on decent, more reasonably priced, alternatives? Could just go to a standard gym I know but I do quite like the class atmosphere as well as incorporating the olympic lifting.

Probably isn't really many alternatives for much cheaper but just said I'd have a look around anyway! Based near Clontarf/Marino areas but work in Dublin 8, so anywhere between those two areas would be doable.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Speaking from experience, as someone who was involved in CrossFit for several years, and transitioned out of it...

You have a number of options..

If you have the appetite you can follow CrossFit mainsite programming on your own, whether training at home with what equipment you have access to, or using a commercial gym membership. Although both present some practical difficulties, it's worth bearing in mind that when CrossFit took off in the late 1990s most people were training this way, it was prior to the wave of expensive CrossFit boxes that have swept the globe.

If you just want intense metabolic conditioning style workouts in a class setting you could try any bootcamps or circuit based training in your locality, that may be similar to CrossFit and pitched at a lower price point. Look for circuit training, high intensity training, body composition, etc. You're unlikely to find Olympic lifts extensively incorporated outside of CrossFit however.

Where you're based I know for a fact that The Edge in Marino and Clontarf offer group conditioning classes that are based around circuits using a mixture of bodyweight and equipment. They are priced a little lower than 160 per month but not sure what their availability is, space would be limited.

You could also look at F45 near Connolly Station.

I'm sure there are a few other little clubs knocking around North Strand that might also suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I think F45 would even be dearer than your current Crossfit from some figures I have heard.

I think your best bet if you want to save significant $$ is probably to find a gym with decent group conditioning classes included in the membership. It won't be the same but you get what you pay for I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭eastie17

Paying 85 a month in Cork for 3 times a week, its great value in my opinion, if it was double that as yours is I'm not sure I would go ahead with it either.

I do find it great though, go in, do what your told, get wrecked and go home. I could be tooling around a gym for 2 hours and not get the same work done, but thats just me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I doubt places could remain open charging 85 a month in Dublin, I think that ship sailed in the early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Yeah that’s a gym that won’t be lasting long at those prices. Unless rent is dirt cheap in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Maybe regular gyms may not get away with it, but crossfit gyms are charging well over €150 a month and seem to be doing OK. Which is why I've decided to bail on it - I love it, but financially it's ridiculous.

Advertisement