Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Y: The Last Man

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

OK I must have missed something. Sammy, who is on the mission with Y's sister, it's a male. How is he still alive, or have I missed something obvious?!

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Transgender using hormone therapy, it's mentioned in an earlier episode how he's running out of testosterone.

I've read and enjoyed the comics but this adaptation isn't really doing much for me. The political stuff going on in the pentagon is particularly boring. I can see it getting cancelled before they finish telling the story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

6: Well.. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a cult!

Not sure about naked communal boobs-everywhere washing.. but dodgy rituals and violence for sure.

Think Yorick

looks like he might be going to trust 355 a bit more now.. I thought they did well enough with the combat stuff. Felt very predator style. Probably could have been more intense but it did feel in-line with the style of the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its barely watchable, The walking dead at its worst is twice as good as this

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I watched the first three episodes over the last couple of nights having not heard anything about the show or the source material. It's pretty good so far.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Shame to hear the mixed reviews, the comic is absolutely one of the all time greats for me. I'm never a fan of when they translate any comic into film/TV so will be giving this one a miss but I hope someone picks up a copy of it after seeing this. It really is a great example of story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

He is trans, the vials that were taken from him were testerone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 685 ✭✭✭shawki

Didn’t want to watch this until I reread the comics.

“Look how they massacred my boy” comes to mind.

Main characters have all had personality changes from the comics and not for the better.

Too many new characters that add nothing.

Do yourselves a favour and read the far superior comic instead.

• Advertisement

I saw one comment in a review, "a cross between the Walking Dead and Designated Survivor" and those particular ideas have been done to death. I gather this was supposed to be a Shia LaBeouf film several years ago and has been bouncing around waiting to be made since.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's very average so far

Watched three episodes.

Has potential, but not sure the casting was the best of choices.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched 3 of these and it wasn't awful but some of the characters are just off, including the last man himself. There's also a bit too much topicality in it, especially on the political side. Some of staging is very cliched and the scripts leave a lot to be desired. Wasn't bothered to go beyond the three episodes.

If it helps, it feels like they blew a lot of budget in the first 3 episodes.

Episode 6 feels like it might be where they start to pick back up again.. which I dunno.. depends on the last three and maybe how much budget they kept back for them I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Maybe. In quite a few shows these days there is an awful lot of that please bear with this for most of the season while we figure out what to do. In some cases it is worthwhile but a lot of the time it turns out you were right in the first place.  8 and a bit seasons of the twists, turns, dead ends and the just plain dull of TWD does make you a lot less willing to go with that flow!

7: Well that's gotta be something that

drives Kimberly over to the warpath! So guessing a combined showdown with Kimberly and Regina tearing lumps inside the Pentagon with Beth and her.. rebel group? .. having a go from outside. I don't think .. think.. Beth is with any secret organisation.. yet.

Have to say Ashley Romans (355) is putting some real grit into her performance and I'm really taking to the character. So I'm starting to guess the weakness on her front is dodgy action writing/directing/stunt coordinators or some combination of em.

Show seems to be picking back up a bit. Feels like the budget drop is done. I'm guessing they've kept something big for the last 3 episodes.

Probably the showdown I mentioned in the first spoiler above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Cancelled by FX. Not a huge surprise. With agent 355 or something like that, it's just ridiculous. As for the male lead - couldn't care less if he fell while running and broke his neck. Mess of a show. Have watched the first 6 episodes (Disney), but even then never an episode completely before pausing. Will watch to the end but completely forget about it.

The one feat of the show is that they made one half the planet dying boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus. I still haven't made it to ep 3. I was looking forward to this for years but the quality just isn't there. She says the last 3 episodes are epic, will wait till they're all out before trying it again.

my with intentions like that how could it fail lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,292 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw suggestions that since it's a DC property on a Disney platform, they likely wanted rid of it.

I still have to start watching it but I guess no rush now, unless it gets picked up elsewhere.

I wonder with people liking binge watching, how many wait until weekly series like this finish a season before they start watching

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The viewing numbers must be terrible for a both a cable and streaming channel to drop it after only a couple of episodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Was an OK series but there isn't much substance to the show as far as the episodes I've seen

Don't know where they would have gone with a seconds series except more political swings and never ending search for the Why

1.8: Well.. that last scene was

done decent enough. The build up and emotion felt strong enough. Guessing the cult is levelling up into a roving militia

The backstory though..

for Roxanne that ranged from weak to strong.. some bits just felt flakey.

could see Missi Pyle putting some real heart into the scenes.. especially the assistant manager scene.. so I dunno.. writers/directors/editors.. something around there I guess

Doesn't sound good for sure. Had a quick google but couldn't find any numbers.

Can't say I've seen anything that screamed they were a big budget blowing production... unless there's something in the last few episode. Maybe FX just doesn't wanna keep a show with a lesser budget on the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,309 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That character is one of the strong points for me along with Diane Lane.

The main issue is the person playing Y is absolutely bloody useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Still watching this?

Not bothering unless it gets picked up somewhere else

1.9: Looks like a bit of budget has come back into play. Half this episode felt like it was back into the spend of the first three. Guessing they'll spend a bit next episode too and try to setup for a season 2.

I thought the special effect combo of the explosion and the water wobbling/tv screens flickering was done well.

Separately, the roving militia roves! 😁 I wonder is it gonna be 1 season per level up or will they take over the town pretty quick and level up again. Seems there's a few painful lessons about no-easy-access-food coming up... aaaah logistics 🙂

Not sure the details of the group Beth came in with. So that's got me a bit curious.

What feels the strongest aspect of this show to me so far is the work Ashley Romans has put in as Agent 355. Her performance is tearing strips off the others around her when Diane Lane isn't around. Where she's at her weakest feels like the direction/special effects/stunts crews not getting up to her level.

Just the season finale left (so far) anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Not surprised it's not renewed. I was excited to see the comic adapted but what we've got has made me realise that maybe it wasn't suitable for a TV series. Dare I say it might have been better adapted as a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,887 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barry Keoghan jumping ship on this was a very wise career move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yupp! I was raging he left it but do glad now. Mad to think he'll be in the Eternals, wonder if he got that from leaving Y.

• Advertisement

...annnndd that's a wrap. Nothing hugely groundbreaking but it was a first season and dug into a scenario more than I'd seen before.. well .. on the inner workings of the political side.

Ashley Romans who played Agent 355 would be the biggest strength I saw in the show. She acted great, put in all the work she needed and her charisma carried some action scenes where the directing/action people just appeared to have been taking a break the whole time.

1.10: Aha, I see what you did there at the very end..

a v in the road.. but panning out to make the road leading to it to be a Y. Yes, very good special effects/director people.

Well the roving milita sure learned a lesson about taking on a dug-in organised group. 355 in the middle of it just looked like she would've brought death to all if they hadn't surrendered... so good call on the surrender. Wonder what direction Nora was going to take them in.. seemed like she was going to reorganise again but keep going.

Future: Well, they definitely had plans, lots n lots of plans. The Agent 355 stuff had me most interested. Not sure they'll get a new studio to air them. Hadn't seen mention about the budget reasons for them getting cancelled. Not the first Fox (cough.. eh I mean FX Mr Disney sir 😁) show I've seen it happen to though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y:_The_Last_Man_(TV_series)#Production

The reason for cancellation was not due to low viewing figures, but for budgetary reasons. Due to the showrunner and cast changes as well as the COVID-19 pandemic-related production shutdowns, FX had to pay to extend the contracts for the actors. The contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just finished this and enjoyed it more than I expected. I then go and look to see when season 2 returns and find it's cancelled. 😩

Really enjoyed the Roxanne character as a 'one you like to dislike' type.

I wish they hadn't killed her off as I felt there was more potential there. Looked like they were positioning Nora/Victoria to replace her which I would have found a stretch.

Yorick as a character is pretty bland, as was the scientist, but I liked Agent 355. Beth was pretty annoying and her motivations were odd. It didn't seem reasonable that she would make the decisions she did.

I would have watched another season but can't imagine it will be picked up. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,107 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Advertisement