Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Y: The Last Man

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks all right, worth a try; though given the years currently lived, I'm not sure I have the stomach for the apocalypse in pop fiction anymore. Sweet Tooth being an exception, purely for its lead' common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

it seems a bit tone deaf, and unless someone knows about the comics it seems like a dumb concept.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's literally the same premise as the comic, which dates from 2002 (so if anything probably leans into 9/11 angst than modern day ones): everything with a Y chromosome in the world dies, with only this Yorrick and a random monkey the sole males in a world struggling to adapt. Never read the comic I should add - though I had heard of it, and the various attempts to get it adapted as a film, or TV show.

As I said my stomach for apocalypses has bottomed out at this stage - hey I wonder if people are the real monsters after all? - but as premises go it's at least an interesting one. How would civilisation move on without a sudden, gigantic (and topical) brain drain - but it's not a Children of Men scenario either.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was checking to see if there was a date for this over here yet and nope. What is the point of the streaming services if they can't even air their own shows at the same time as or close to the States?

For example American Horror Stories has aired 5 episodes but won't come to Star on Disney+ until next month. Then they'll likely release them weekly. They've already done weekly airings of at least 1 series that was released all at once on Hulu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Will give it a shot based on the trailer.

Reminds me a bit of the Sliders episode called Love Gods: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0702743/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not feeling it from that trailer.

I will of course give it a good chance.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The show will air here on Disney's Star starting September 22nd, with a new episode each week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ampersand isn't a random monkey. Yorrick was looking after him at the point when all the males died. They survived it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Started last night in the US with 3 episodes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,471 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Holy **** i forgot, thanks man, will give it a watch tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,270 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Decent opening 3 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,522 ✭✭✭SteM

The only comic run I have ever finished, I loved it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so the last man happens to be the son of a

senior member of congress?

1-3: Those 3 were well done. Remains to be seen how episodes 4-6 go. Grace did a review and left me with the impression that they start getting boring.

Definitely liking the character

Agent 355 the most. At one point I was like.. "Buckle Up Secret Agent and Keep Moving".. and then she did just that!🙂 I was like.. fair enough so!

I don't think she's part of any underhanded plot.. remains to be seen though. I wonder will her allegiance change if the President changes.

It would be absolutely hilarious if

another president got in and took invitro away as an option like that how the world in that episode was 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 31,811 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Only watched episode one...but I like it! Interesting idea and a really good cast for the most part, not sure about the main guy, I only know him from the film Pride (and he was kind of awful in that film - which overall I loved)

I am a sucker for this type of show, interested to see where it will go.

not great writing or characters, how are we supposed to get behind our boy when he is such a whiny trust fund kid

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

4: woooo

warehouse! 🙂

but also lol,

now that's how you reduce the cost of budget! camping trip and warehouse! 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,749 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

shouldn't Yorick shave and maybe he wouldn't be spotted as man from a distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Sliders was a great show. Went downhill after John Rhys Davis left though - he was a great character but apparently Davies wanted to play his as more heroic or something.

When I first heard of Y the last man I also thought of that episode

5: Hrmmmm.. so there's a

mentor for 355 and I'm not sure if I'm remembering wrong but that flashing red tech looked like the beacon 355 activated when she went back to her handlers (maybe called code 1030s after this episode).

I'm finding 355 and who she worked with the most interesting part of this show so far.

The kick-ass weaponry, tech, and fights don't hurt either 🙂

This Doctor

Mann saying to Yorick about not having much of a life.. 😁 .. I'm like.. this is sooo turning into the Sliders episode!! 😁

I swear, if Australia turns up with a Man!!! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

OK I must have missed something. Sammy, who is on the mission with Y's sister, it's a male. How is he still alive, or have I missed something obvious?!

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Transgender using hormone therapy, it's mentioned in an earlier episode how he's running out of testosterone.

I've read and enjoyed the comics but this adaptation isn't really doing much for me. The political stuff going on in the pentagon is particularly boring. I can see it getting cancelled before they finish telling the story

6: Well.. I'm pretty sure that's the definition of a cult!

Not sure about naked communal boobs-everywhere washing.. but dodgy rituals and violence for sure.

Think Yorick

looks like he might be going to trust 355 a bit more now.. I thought they did well enough with the combat stuff. Felt very predator style. Probably could have been more intense but it did feel in-line with the style of the show.

Its barely watchable, The walking dead at its worst is twice as good as this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I watched the first three episodes over the last couple of nights having not heard anything about the show or the source material. It's pretty good so far.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,887 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Shame to hear the mixed reviews, the comic is absolutely one of the all time greats for me. I'm never a fan of when they translate any comic into film/TV so will be giving this one a miss but I hope someone picks up a copy of it after seeing this. It really is a great example of story telling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

He is trans, the vials that were taken from him were testerone

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Didn’t want to watch this until I reread the comics.

“Look how they massacred my boy” comes to mind.

Main characters have all had personality changes from the comics and not for the better.

Too many new characters that add nothing.

Do yourselves a favour and read the far superior comic instead.

• Advertisement

I saw one comment in a review, "a cross between the Walking Dead and Designated Survivor" and those particular ideas have been done to death. I gather this was supposed to be a Shia LaBeouf film several years ago and has been bouncing around waiting to be made since.

Advertisement