Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Huge savings in my experience. I was quoted €1,900 for a 4 camera system and that was with 2x Hikvision ColorVu cameras and 2 lower quality ones. It was about €750 in parts excluding the shite they added on.

I paid €530 for a 2TB HDD, 4 channel NVR and 2 ColorVu cameras. 4 cameras would probably have been about €850, less than half the cost and better spec than what they quoted. Very simple setup, just need to drill a hole in the wall of the house to run the cable through, mount the camera on the wall and plug the cameras in. The IP/network cameras are plug and play, just need to change settings for recording times and tweak network settings to get the app working on your phone.

Do a bit of planning on where to place your cameras and what ones to get.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Reading this thread with great interest. Am really learning a lot.

I'm in the market for a 4 camera NVR kit. Based I'm on the experience of others here, I'm leaning towards this:

Some questions:

1) is it usually more cost effective to buy the components individually, from this/another supplier, than buying the ready made 'kit' ?

2) does the colour vu have a constant white light on at night time? Is colour vu a better bet than the cheaper 'Dark fighter'?

3) I plan on running an ethernet cable a good distance (albeit well less than 100m!) from router to the NVR. I assume this won't be an issue?

4) are the apps, for remote monitoring, free? If so, what is the 'Programming for HIk connect App @ €72' option??

5) is making your own cables an option for an enthusiastic DIYer?

Thanks

In terms of kits, I don't remember them being much different, if at all.

ColorVu light can be on whatever time you set it to, power draw is minimal so you could do 24hr or just set winter hours and leave it at that. Brightness can be set to automatic if that helps. There's a firmware update for the Australian cameras you can use that will turn on with motion I believe.

I don't believe the length under 100m should be an issue as that's the specified length for Cat5/6 so should work the same as 2m, 20m etc.

In terms of "Programming for Hik Connect" that's something you can do yourself. The kits are plug and play and the app is easy to setup. The most difficult part is having to setup your router to ensure the ports are open for viewing on the app on mobile data. In my case I had to get Virgin Media to change my router to IPv4 on their end. There's a lot of settings for quality, when to record, what alerts to have and it needs to be applied to days individually so can be time consuming. By far the most complicated part of setting up ColorVu is having to log into the camera itself, which as far as I know needs to be done through a web browser as the setting isn't on the NVR. You'll want to change the exposure time higher than the default 1/25 as someone passing at night is blurry/ghosting effect. Rear camera should be fine as is as you're not trying to see details of a car passing or someone running past.

I can't see why you couldn't make your own cables if you wanted.

As an example, this is my back garden without any light. A neighbor has a back light on but that doesn't illuminate my garden. For comparison I added a photo from my phone that's very similar to what the eye can see. The camera quality is fantastic. Much, much better than the equivalent Ring/Nest cameras which are similar cost. No monthly fees, if internet goes down it still records etc.

Apparently there's an 8MP/4K ColorVu turret coming out in a month or two, I plan on replacing my front with that and adding the other one to the side gate.

How is the night picture with these Dahua cameras?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

Can anyone give any guidance on this for my HiK vision cameras.

The camera in my back shows colour 24/7, automatically switching the light on when the ambient light in the area drops at night. For the side camera streetlight seems to prevent the light automatically coming on so I had to manually switch to have the light on permanently, however, this gives me a permanent black and white picture. Ideally I'd have colour on the side as in the back with the light automatically switching.

I've fiddled with NVR settings but haven't managed to solve it and don't see any option to set the light on a timer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Most thugs robbing would be wearing hoodys so having cctv up high pointing down be useless for identifying, having a couple of internal cameras might pick up a face...having a decoy cctv box not a bad idea either in case they try and rob your nvr..

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Hi all, building house at the minute and will install some cabling now to add cameras later. For the POE cameras that HikVison supply (ColorVu), do I need cat5e or cat6 cabling?

Also, do people bother with internal cameras or is that a bit of overkill?

Edit, can't figure out how to unbold text above 😕😕

Post edited by Cushtie on

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Just get cat6 run to every point you might want a camera - will be much cheaper and easier when building. 5e is more than enough but no harm future proofing

run loads of cat 6 internally for things like access points, network points for devices, TVs (can carry AV over cat 6) etc

I think hardwired cameras internally is a bit overkill so you probably won’t need them. Having said that a lot of PIR sensors for alarms have inbuilt cameras that take snapshots and also some smart devices have cameras as hubs and accessories which can be left around - eufy, aqara, Logitech, netatmo etc

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Cushtie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭beachhead

Very informative posts.I need an upgrade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Hikvision, dahua and ezviz should work easily but Ajax supports RTSP protocol so most DVR or NVRs should work

https://ajax.systems/how-to-connect-camera-to-ajax/

Hi all,

I'm having a hard time playing recordings on mobile data when at work. I had it set to 4MB/s H254. If I switch to H265 at the same bitrate will that help viewing as it's better compression/smaller file size or will I still struggle as it's the same 4MB/s?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

What machine and app are you using?

Is there an option to use sub stream or drop the streaming bitrate. Is your mobile data showing as 4g?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Using the 7604 NI K1 with HikConnect. Mobile shows as 4G but it's a poor connection due to where I sit in the office (about 5m away from the windows) so it's around 2Mb/s on a good day.

Video recording is also a bit stuttery in places so I'll need to fiddle with the settings again. Don't know if there's any sub stream recording available I'll need to double check. Did see something about it on a other forum but not sure if it's supported.

I went for 3 Hikvision Darkfighters and 1 Hikvision ColorVue in the end. All turrets. I got an 8 port NVR, in case I wanted to expand. I got PoE. Happy enough with it all in the end.

Not very handy but I was able to install it all myself...that includes making the cable connections. I bought a bulk cable box from Cable Monkey so that I could make the cables as long as required and no more. I bought a crimper toolkit from freetv.ie and a dozen or so RJ45 connectors from a local supplier. All in, there wasn't much change from €900.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭medic112

Hello,

looking to place a eufy ( https://www.harveynorman.ie/computing/networking-and-connectivity/security-safety/eufy-floodlight-cam-2-pro-security-wi-fi-camera-white.html ) cctv system to the front & rear of the house, would you recommend this? end house semi-d. there is power cables from spotlights already which i can take down & use to power the units. reliable/good etc.

Long term lease so cant install a proper wired unit.

many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

So for my residential setting I'm going to go with HIKVision.

The DS-2CD2347G2-LU seems to get mentioned here and online seems to be well regarded also. Am I right in saying this the newly released 8Mp version DS-2CD2387G2-LU equivalant. Worth going up to 8Mp or a bit pointless in the dark anyway for residental? I dont ming getting the big harddrive.

For NVR I was looking at the DS-7608NXI-I2/8P/S  , but as these cameras have colourvu and accusense on-board then can I get a less fancy NVR without the accusence? What would be a good recommendation. For future proofing I want 8x4k (8MP) cameras through POE deep learning, blck out certain zones, push notification.

I presume I dont need a dedicated monitor just log in to the IP address from my PC.

Like everything when you start researching you find out things down the rabbit hole 😆 I see a bit of talk with these camera with the (C) designation and Gen 3/5 firmware. For the likes of me should I care can I mix them as I dont see the 8Mp in (C) anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Looking at similar setup. Must say the huge range of cameras and names make it very hard to know what to pick.

Thought Ali express would be good value but saving looks very minimal unless buying a lot.

latest hikvision NVR is M series and isnt widely available. Probably could manage with I series which is cheaper on Ali but probably better to future proof as new camera features can test NVR bandwidth.

😎

Advertisement