Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CCTV

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

Hi all. Reading back over all the posts and my mind is fried on what to go for. I’m looking for a 3 camera system. Wired but can you have one wireless camera aswell? It’s going on a bungalow so will be about 7-8 foot off the ground. Not ir as that attracts spiders. Is it white light or something I’m looking for? And I remember reading not to use coax cable but some newer system? Has anyone got any links for such a system. Tia

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Dupont wrote: »
    Hi all. Reading back over all the posts and my mind is fried on what to go for. I’m looking for a 3 camera system. Wired but can you have one wireless camera aswell? It’s going on a bungalow so will be about 7-8 foot off the ground. Not ir as that attracts spiders. Is it white light or something I’m looking for? And I remember reading not to use coax cable but some newer system? Has anyone got any links for such a system. Tia

Hi, the system I used is all wired, using POE

Both my cameras are about 7-8' off the ground and have no issues with spiders

In now 6 months and I havent had to clear any cobwebs off them yet
    Even if I did it would take a few seconds

the 2TB hard drive I have gives me about 21 days recordings with both cameras being 4MP units

Lex Luthor wrote: »

the 2TB hard drive I have gives me about 21 days recordings with both cameras being 4MP units

Would you have a link for your system

https://www.freetv.ie/4-channel-nvr/

these were the cameras
    EZ by Dahua™ 4MP Turret Network Camera (30m IR, 2.8mm Lens)
    CODE: 15K_20055_KD

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

due to vandalism im looking for a non wireless small camera that i can put behind windows front of the house keep an eye on the windows from getting done in any recommendations

any help appreciated thanks

• Advertisement

not sure about putting behind windows looking out from the inside

any IR camera will reflect the LED's off the glass from the inside and will just show up as a a glare and you'll see nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The Hikvision ColorVu solve that problem if you can afford it, although you may have a limited view from the window depending on where you put it. You'll get some reflection from light inside the room and from outside lights. Rain will also be a bit of an issue. You can see ok but not great.

Can all hikivision cameras be looked at on your phone through the app

• Registered Users Posts: 12,380 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Can all hikivision cameras be looked at on your phone through the app

All ip cameras, yes.
    Some of the older turbos, no.

I was already very impressed by the ColorVu in almost total darkness on my road as everything was clearly visible and had good detail but now that the street lights are on bloody hell, it's such a bright and clear image. I had concerns about the camera as car lights were lighting up the image as if they had the power of the sun and rear reg plates were completely obscured by lights but this was likely the sensitivity being cranked due to extremely low light. I'm not sure if you can adjust settings to compensate for that but it's not an issue now with increased ambient light. Everything is very clear, has nice colour and car lights aren't overexposed anymore.

Two minor downsides so far that are just due to my camera placement. With the camera mounted under my bedroom window I can't have my front windows in view without cutting off my car but I have it angled to the side a bit so my front door and side gate area are in view in the corner. Also because the path is outside my house anyone walking past is in the cameras view of my car so I have to limit motion detection to the front half of my parking spaces.

I'll probably add another 2.8mm under the roof to keep an eye on the road in general and maybe help with motion detection alerts due to a less obscured view.

• Advertisement

The newer g2 colorvu have acusense which cuts out most of the false alarms and sorts shots with cars or with people from ones with animals or leaves. Might be of use to some.

I bought a hikivision cctv kit. What type of cable do I need to plug into my broadband modem and then into the hard drive box for the cameras. Does this allow me to view it from my phone then?

I bought a hikivision cctv kit. What type of cable do I need to plug into my broadband modem and then into the hard drive box for the cameras. Does this allow me to view it from my phone then?

Network cable, like a bigger phone cable should be the one.

If you have the correct settings, you can watch online. Should be in the instructions

If they're IP cameras then you just plug an ethernet cable from the camera into the recorder, and then the recorder to the modem. Activate platform access in the network settings on the recorder and sign in with Hik Connect app (has to be downloaded from their website, at least for Android)

Network cable, like a bigger phone cable should be the one.

If you have the correct settings, you can watch online. Should be in the instructions

Just googling it is that a cat 6 cable?

Just googling it is that a cat 6 cable?

yes, with a RJ45 male connection. Most people have a few hanging around from routers, Virgin media and so on

yes, with a RJ45 male connection. Most people have a few hanging around from routers, Virgin media and so on

There’s a slot on the recorder labelled LAN. Is this the slot for it?

One of the CCTV YouTube channels had a video about the 8MP ColorVu bullet, mentioned something about turrets coming soon, anyone know anything about this?

Lex Luthor wrote: »

Technically, the IR attracts flies and insects. The problem is worst during the summer. They end up triggering thousands of false positives overnight if you have motion detection enabled as they fly towards the glowing red lamp. It's possible to reduce that number by using line crossing, intrusion or face detection etc. (Face detection is pretty useless at night in many cases so don't rely on this only).
    Spiders also notice these insects and decide to construct a web close to the glowing red IR lamp. They can do so in just a few hours and the web can also cause spurious alarms. You can be lucky and have none for a while but they eventually do turn up and they keep coming back. Knocking the Web might buy you a few days but it does not stop the insects.
    I've moved all my older cameras to locations with flood lights now to avoid ever using the IR.

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Maybe someone in the know could help me. I’m looking for an incline mount for a Colorvu G2 to mount in an inclined eave to level the camera. Which is the correct hik mount model to buy so that it fits?

Looking at the ones here - maybe none of them are suitable... https://securitywatch.ie/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Incline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,637 ✭✭✭✭altor

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Maybe someone in the know could help me. I’m looking for an incline mount for a Colorvu G2 to mount in an inclined eave to level the camera. Which is the correct hik mount model to buy so that it fits?

Looking at the ones here - maybe none of them are suitable... https://securitywatch.ie/index.php/catalogsearch/result/?q=Incline

https://securitywatch.ie/index.php/hikvision-inclined-ceiling-mount-ds-1281zj-m.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

Got a quote for installation as follows;

8 channel 5MP DVR with AcuSense Technology
    4TB Hard Drive
    22” Monitor
    2 X Planet unidirectional transceiver
    Hikvision 4 Port Gigabit Unmanaged POE Switch
    Hikvision DS-2CE78H8T-IT3F 60m X 4 cameras
    Hikvision DS-2CD2346G2-IU 30m IR, AcuSense, x 2 cameras
    IP Enclosure for Yard Equipment

Reptuble company and includes installation

Quote 2,900 euro

What do you think, is it a fair price?

kk.man wrote: »

4TB Hard Drive
    22” Monitor

Quote 2,900 euro

Based on quotes I got recently for a home cctv system I would say it’s very fair.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to hire an ip cam tester? Just looking to make some adjustments to the fields of view

kk.man wrote: »

4TB Hard Drive
    22” Monitor

Quote 2,900 euro

Ask for the DS-2CD2346G2-IU to be made into the DS-2CD2347G2-IU.
    The latter is the newer version of the ColorVu but also has Acusense. Game changer!

Also, it's odd to see the mix of cameras above as the acusense are IP Network cameras (ethernet) whereas the others are Turbo (coax).

You could probably do the above for about 1500 DIY but each to their own.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ask for the DS-2CD2346G2-IU to be made into the DS-2CD2347G2-IU.
    The latter is the newer version of the ColorVu but also has Acusense. Game changer!

Also, it's odd to see the mix of cameras above as the acusense are IP Network cameras (ethernet) whereas the others are Turbo (coax).

You could probably do the above for about 1500 DIY but each to their own.

Aren't those ColorVU camera abit intrusive with the light on them all night, I had a 5mp Dahua one i got before Christmas and put it up there yesterday just to try it out and tbh, I thought the white light was very bright on it.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Aren't those ColorVU camera abit intrusive with the light on them all night, I had a 5mp Dahua one i got before Christmas and put it up there yesterday just to try it out and tbh, I thought the white light was very bright on it.

It depends on the firmware. I have been running an Australian version which only triggers the white light on detection. Admittedly you need to have a bit of light from the street or other sources to allow it see enough to identify any movement. It really depends on your installation, but I far prefer it to my old Darkfighters and their IR attracting insects to the red glow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ramirodelojo

If you think that most security systems are similar to each other, then you are of course partly right. However, there are striking differences between wired and modern wireless options. You can read more about it on the internet, if you're interested. For example, I advise you to take a look at ajax, which has the ability to fully manage through a mobile application on a smartphone. You can simultaneously control the cameras and view the image from them online and edit the sensitivity of some sensors. This is very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I've got cat 6 points outside for cctv. IP Cameras have rj45 and power connectors. Can I run the data over 3 pairs on the cat 6, and then just use the other two for power? Am I right to think 4 pairs are only needed for high speed data?

Effects wrote: »
    I've got cat 6 points outside for cctv. IP Cameras have rj45 and power connectors. Can I run the data over 3 pairs on the cat 6, and then just use the other two for power? Am I right to think 4 pairs are only needed for high speed data?

If the cameras have rj45 points you probably don’t need the power (unless they’re high powered ptz or something) just connect the cat 6 cable into the camera and the other end into the NVR - that should be enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there a huge saving in doing this DIY? Is there much of a middle ground in terms of buying the gear my self and paying someone to install?

I am far from an electrician but I suspect I could self install, but that comes with the time cost of several hours figuring it out, as well as doing the actual install.

will be looking at a system with at least 4 cameras, likely 6.

😎

Advertisement