Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

from Peter Horgan’s Facebook

A number of residents have contacted me seeking update on works for the M28. I’ve received the below update from the Liason Officer

Advance works in the form of site fencing and clearance have commenced in the Ringaskiddy area and we will be working our way towards Carrs hill in the coming months. Ground investigation, utility diversions and a full archaeology contract will then be undertaken in advance of the appointment of the main construction contractor. Going forward information will be available on the M28 Project on our website www.corkrdo.ie where you can go to Major Schemes and scroll down to the M28 Project. With particular reference to the Maryborough Hill and Lissadell area it should be noted that we will be demolishing Radaville House, which is located just at the slip road to the M28, starting on the 29th of September. The main demolition works will be undertaken on Saturday morning the 02nd of October, however it is expected that there will be minimum disruption to traffic in the area.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPeterHorganLabour%2Fposts%2F4598205460200674&show_text=true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

And as was said in the last post, Radaville House became a rubble pile this morning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Latest:

The scheme planning approval was the subject of a judicial review. The Supreme Court refused leave to appeal and Cork County Council have issued the Notices to Treat on affected land owners and commenced the 3-year advance works. Notices of Entry were issued on 22 July, 2021 to most landowners.  It is anticipated that the Main Works tender Prior Information Notice (PIN) will be published in the next twelve months. It is anticipated that the Main Works will commence late 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Why such a long lead time post PP, or that is bang on normal in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Most schemes don't need three years of advance works, which themselves couldn't begin until all the legal issues were resolved. I'm sure the main works contract will start immediately after the advance works are finished.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The advance works are more complex for this project with fairly intensive service diversions required (given the industry near the Ringaskiddy end). There’s also quite a bit of preparation work required around the Rochestown Road area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I know a house has been demolished but have the complex utility diversions started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Archaeology still needs to be done as well, that'll likely come before big diversions.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_docs.asp?PID=192151&LID=218333&AllowPrint=1

Major site clearance underway around Shannonpark and site access established as well on the Board of Works Road (the no right turns onto N28 road) between the N28 and Donnybrook Hill atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Baldilocks

Same on the section from Shannonpark to Ringaskiddy (south of the current road)

Progress (at last)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The guy Dronehawk that does some truly suicidal drone flying along the Macroom bypass (under bridges, through structures etc) and at Dunkettle has posted a flyover of the current work.

Not a huge amount to see yet but still interesting.

A status report of sorts. Assuming tendering and award in 2023 (and that may be a big assumption based on the cautious language) and a construction period of 3-4 years, we are still looking at a completion date of 2027/2028. The other concern is the mention of "It is quite an archeologically rich part of the country" I shudder to think of where this could lead us....

If you are short of time just read the two paragraphs under Peter Welsh's name.

The Joint Committee on Transport and Communications met with reps from  TII and NTA on Wednesday, 3 Nov 2021. Jerry Buttimer, who was one of the many politicians who joined Harrington’s failed fusiliers in their opposition to the M28, asked about the progress to date. I’ve snipped a lot to save you time wading through irrelevant twaddle (e.g. Buttimer: “I meant to ask at our meeting with her whether the <Cork Bus> livery would be still red and white. It is a parochial matter but it is distinctive in the context of Cork.")

Chairman

I thank Senator Horkan. I call Senator Buttimer, who has approximately seven minutes.

Senator Jerry Buttimer

In the context of Mr. Walsh's statement, I ask for an update on the M28 Cork to Ringaskiddy road project. I understand the difficulties that were there. I was partnered with the residents in that. I would say that if there was proper engagement from the beginning, we would never have been where we ended up. However, the horse and the car have gone from that bridge now and, as the cliché goes, we are where we are. I ask them for an update on the M28.

Senator Jerry Buttimer

Could the witnesses give us an update on the M28, if possible? If not, they might come back to me on it. As Ms Graham and Mr. Creegan will be aware, I am of the view that people want project visualisation. They want projects started. They want to see projects finished. Whether it is roads, light rail or buses, they want to see it done. At the risk of sounding contentious, many people see a report or a plan being published and launched, they recognise the ambition behind it, and then they say that they will never see that. I hope we can overcome that concern amongst people that has been expressed to me following yesterday's launch in Cork-----

(Interruptions).

Senator Jerry Buttimer

-----the M28, and the timeline on that. That is my question to Mr. Walsh.

Mr. Peter Walsh ( Chief Executive of TII)

In terms of the M28, as the Senator will be aware, we got approval of planning in March of this year. Cork County Council has issued notice to treat and it is proceeding with the land acquisition. There is a significant amount of advance contracts required for that project, not least archeology. It is quite an archeologically rich part of the country. We had always anticipated that there would be a significant number of advance contracts required between services, ground investigations and archaeology. That will continue to proceed over the next few years. It will take a number of years to get through those.

In terms of the next gateway for the public spending progression of the project, we anticipate that Cork County Council will have the documentation ready for submission at quarter 4 of next year. Approval to go to tender will be sought. The award of tender will be governed by available funding. That is the current situation, but the project is proceeding as quickly as it can.

Senator Jerry Buttimer

Is TII looking at it being a five-year project or a ten-year project?

Mr. Peter Walsh

The construction element of it will be in the order of three to four years. When we get to construction is the one variable at present. All the advance contracts are going ahead. The documentation will be made ready. Cork County Council will seek the approval to proceed to tender at the end of next year and we will know better than where things are.

I particularly love the bit where Buttimer (in full Boris Johnson mode) says "I am of the view that people want project visualisation. They want projects started. They want to see projects finished. Whether it is roads, light rail or buses, they want to see it done" Hey Jerry, you, together with your spineless fellow politicians and the Steering Group, are the main reason the start and completion of the M28 project was delayed by three whole years for absolutely no good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭DylanQuestion

Will the county council be building the whole thing or just their half?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Spiaire

It's done at a national level by TII, as it's a National Primary route.

Thanks! It will be interesting to see if the new signage accounts for the fact that most of the road will now be in Cork and not county countryside like before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

That quite shocking stuff from Jerry Buttimer. He rode in behind the Steering Group and is now acting like it didn’t happen at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Worse than acting like it didn't happen, he's actively pretending that he's of the opposite view: he wants the road to progress quickly!

Mind you, the same chap stated that he's against both density and urban sprawl as the city grows, and is in favour of more ground floor penthouses. Maybe he's both strongly pro the N28 upgrade and strongly against the N28 upgrade?

I know this isn't the place for politics, but we could do without councilors like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

@Hibernicis Thank you for the link and the quotes. Infuriating obfuscation from Buttimer in this interview, but glad to know that progress is being made and this road will be delivered.

@hans aus dtschl There will always be votes for politicians who pander to NIMBYs. The only real way to fix the problem is to drastically reduce the opportunities NIMBYs have to stop projects. Hot air, even from a Senator, won't stop much-needed infrastructure being built, but spurious judicial reviews and endless appeals through a sclerotic planning system certainly will (and have).

At least the M28 is finally moving ahead. Goodness knows what will happen to the M20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I have little time for Buttimer but is there a chance he's looking for the the shortest disturbance possible due to construction now that it's going ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

That's a charitable view of it, I'll give you that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

IMO Buttimer has just changed horses.

As an aside, I wonder is that where the expression "he has a neck like a jockey's boll*x" comes from....or similar?

Not that I'm call Buttimer a boll*x - no in public any way.

Seriously, Buttimer has just re-evaluated, and is now backing the side that will potentially give him most votes. Watch out for his next newsletter - you'll thnik he singlehandedly delivered the project.

He'd be a great man on a horse...or maybe an ass would suit him better!

Roll on the start of construction!

Noting above that construction will take "3-4 years", how can it be that the 40km M8 Cashel to Culahill scheme was completed in 25 months while the M28 will take so long?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I'd assume they're all different - the number of structures to be built - taking account of neighbours , ground conditions and tying in to existing junctions on the route - and not interfering with existing traffic ..the contractors tend not to hang around though ..

Post edited by spacetweek on

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

The simple answer is that we did the easiest routes first. Anything that’s left to do now is pretty much by definition a difficult build, either because of terrain, property accesses or environmental constraints.

From memory Cashel to Cullahill was a three year contract that completed and opened 8 or 9 months early. It’s early days in relation to the M28 and Peter Walsh was giving an estimate and was naturally covering himself. A firm timeline will emerge when the contract is awarded. Bear in mind that despite being shorter, the M28 has some significant complicating factors such as complex structures and works in-situ or adjacent to the existing live road including Bloomfield Junction expansion, Mount Oval slip reingineering, Maryborough hill bridge demolition and rebuilding, Carr’s Hill interchange and Shanonpark interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

M8 was 95% greenfield project. Very little traffic management required during works. Easy to drive on and get good progress in a job like that

The Maryborough Hill bridge reconstruction will be extremely welcome. Firstly, it removes the awkward pedestrian crossing of the slip road, while also having a continuous footpath all the way up the hill now. The cycle lane will also be extended onto the bridge now to fully connect it up to the Garryduff Rd junction. Bikes merging out of the cycle lane as it ends before the hill is really dangerous - cars can't safely overtake without crossing to the other side of the road and most don't (or they don't wait the 20 seconds of slow speed for the cycle lane to re-appear). Does anyone have a link to the finalised drawings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I wouldn’t be surprised if the TII 3-4 year timeframe is based on starting at one end and working your way to the other. In practice, there will be a lot of things happening concurrently.

Advertisement