Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that you should never spend money on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭Tork

A lot of kitchen gadgets. There's many a press full of crap that people bought for preparing, storing or cooking food that they only used once or twice. Extra bonus points for devices that take longer to clean than they were ever in use.

The "extra" versions of paracetamol you see in the supermarket. Take a swig of a caffeinated drink with a regular tablet and you'll get the same result.

Batteries in pound shops. They're crap and will run out in no time.

Cheap shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t get betting on horses... but that's just me... people whom I know say put 20 euros a week 5 times ... if you don’t win you are down 100 quid... 1 horse wins say 5/1 you break even... you need 2 winners to profit,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Getting those tax rebate scammers to do your tax return. It is so simple to do online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Taking the thread title seriously for a minute -

High factor sunscreen! The difference between SPF 15 and anything over that is so minimal that it is a real joke how much the jack up the price to pay for the higher grades.

I am absolutely absolutely someone who pushes sun screen. And I am someone who is mostly totally against things like supplements and other things we buy over the counter day to day.

Pay for the cheaper factor and reapply it often - and it will still work out cheaper than buying the "higher" factor and apply it once. And you will absolutely be doing yourself a better protection by doing it. Slap on some SPF 15 a half hour before you go into the sun and reapply it about a half hour after you get there - and you will do yourself way way way better than slapping SPF 60 all over yourself.

There is actually around a 2% difference between SPF 30 45 50 and 60. SPF 15 blocks around 95% of all incoming UV.

Higher factors is pure marketing bull shite. There are some companies selling SPF over 100 :) Idiots.

Anyway thats my rant for October :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"The house always wins" should be enough of a clue that the betting industry is a legalised scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Your Health

I mean you should be taxed for it to go towards a national health service, but you shouldn't have to pay money for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,953 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Problem is now, many people are being asked to pay twice... hospital fees and tax...

It's a **** embarrassing disgrace that Ireland has no proper national health system & that hospitals are still be given to religious orders to run. Bullshit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

I've a 4 year old Samsung myself, and still going strong. When the times comes that I need to get a new phone, I've been considering getting a fairphone. The lastest model, fairphone 4, is circa €580 which is alot as I've heard some people complain that the specs aren't the greatest for that price. Then again these are people who are comparing it to other phones for a similar price. What FP has going for it is that it's essentially a "fairtrade" phone without planned obsolescence and modular design.

Just to add to the list, don't waste money on cheap footwear. I've been wearing barefoot shoes (vivobarefoot brand) for a few months, and the first thing I noticed was that I stopped feeling back ache during my work shift where I'm on my feet.

cutting back on chocolate, etc. if you can manage to curb back on your sweet tooth, aka emotional/impulse spending. Some food is still ok to use if it's just past it's expiration date.

Paying for someone to do simple maintenance work on car, bike, etc. On this note, unless tools are a necessity for your work or hobbies, borrow tools from a friend or a local community group that has them.

Playing the lotto

Toys for pets (and to a certain extent, children too) - cardboard boxes, diy mud kitchen and toys. Toy libraries are your friend (though I dunno if there are any in Ireland).

Keeping up with the Joneses

Post edited by neenam on

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Look at items 5, 10 and 13 on the bill.

Item 5 is a single piece of steak!

As the saying goes, a fool and their money are easily parted.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Toys, cars and poor quality clothes/footwear.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was gonna say new cars but someone got there before me.

Half the stuff they offer you when you're getting married

What did Mayans use for currency?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Music CDs, the local library will order these in from another and you can then copy to a PC.

And then listen to them using Winamp while using Netscape Navigator to browse Seinfeld geocities pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Borrowing tools isn't great advise tbh

It's just getting someone else to spend money on tools

My advise is not to lend anything to anyone that you want to get back

Also I do all my own maintenance on vehicles, house, tractor etc because I've had an interest in those things since I was young and qualified as a mechanical engineer.

But I wouldn't suggest my father or someone with no mechanical interest or experience does their own basic bike or car maintenance. Its not going to be successful or cheap unless you enjoy it and know what's going on.

I agree with all the rest of your points though!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd love to know how the same fools got their money in the first place. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭neenam

But if I had a tool that somebody else didn't have and needed to use, what harm in lending it? Rather than having to buy a tool and only use it once or sparingly? Obviously I only lend to people I can trust, and there are tools that shouldn't be lent on a whim e.g. chainsaw, jigsaw if they aren't experienced, and also due to the litigation nature in this country.

The concept of a tool/toy/things/etc. library works well. There's a toy library in Carrickmacross, Cork City and other ones. If it was as much as a deposit for the return of the items then it would be feasible for it to work.

You sound very knowledgeable! Ofc I was suggesting diy maintenance only if you know how to do it, should've elaborated on that. I would be inclined to go to a car mechanic for any issues. For a bicycle I would be a little more knowledgeable, I only have some basic tools, but if I needed to say true a wheel then I would go to my local workshop for access to a truing stand to work on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A whole invented tradition built out of an ad campaign, thanks to De Beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Which magazine completed a survey a few years back on all brands of suncream and their effectiveness. They found that one of the top performers was Aldi brand. I have been buying that ever since at 2-3 euros a bottle. No issues

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Personalised number plates. If ever anything screamed "I have now run out of proper things to buy" it's a personalised number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're not quite right about the 2% difference. SPF 15 blocks 93% of UV radiation. SPF30 blocks 97%. SPF50 blocks 98%. or to put it another way SPF15 allows 7% of the radiation to get through to your skin. SPF30 allows 3% through. SPF50 only 2% through. So SPF15 allows through twice the amount UV radiation compared to SPF30.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

As my saying goes: "sure all food is going to end up as shite anyway".

I agree lads splunking €20 a pop on horses is lunacy. But there is no better feeling than a €1-2 soccer accumulator coming in of a weekend, however rare.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I will never pay money for a music streaming service, monthly or otherwise. Especially with free places to listen to music like YT.

I would much prefer to use that money to:

• Go to a show
    • Buy records
    • Buy merch at a show

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

been thinking about snakes this week, why are people allowed keep such amazing creatures in a tank, should be banned asap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I only pay for music streaming when they send me an email with a reasonable offer, like 99c for 3 months. I tried them all out on their introductory offers, and Tidal was so bad as to be worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Full of junk, crap that should go on a bonfire but no I'll stick it in the attic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Advertisement