Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that you should never spend money on

Options
  • 29-09-2021 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭

Shower gels and cleansing lotions marketed at women. One of the greatest con jobs ever.

Priority boarding.

Anything at a Christmas Market or branded as 'Artisan'.

Short haul flight food and drink.

Most (not all) branded foods and products that have generic substitutes.

Things hawked from door to door.

Travel agents, you can do most things these days without a middle man.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Gadget insurance.

Ribbed condoms.

Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Archeron

A lot of the stuff in the betterware catalog, and those type of things. Unless of course you've been searching for a chrome signature banana hook or a rubber microwave egg maker shaped like a sheep. I can heartily not endorse the foot shaped shower foot scrubber with suction cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sex toys when your behind on your child maintenance bills 🤣

Craft beers made by men with beards

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Cocaine, there's always somebody that will offer you a line in the toilet.

Exotic pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭tommybrees

Also this might be controversial but the cost of going to a sporting event (pre covid) doesn't leave much change from the paycheck. You can probably watch it for free on the tele.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Expensive Gillette Fusion razors. The Cien Shark ones from Lidl are a fifth of the price and I find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Irish banking shares. Property.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Women

• Registered Users Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Electric cars

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Sh!t to impress other people.

Am I the only one who came to this thread expecting to find some life hacks on how to get stuff for free based on the thread title?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,931 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Priority boarding is 7 euros on Ryanair , I though have been glad of it on work trips having been hanging around airports for 3 hours plus... after a long day / days... just nice instead of standing in a freezing stairwell for an age and then crawling across the freezing wet tarmac behind a Q waiting for some gimp to find their boarding pass again.. ..just....get on first, get seated, get iPad and drinks out without having to crawl over another person to find your seat. Agree on the short haul food though..

if I see anything marketed as Artisan, I avoid it, it’s usually code for ‘terribly expensive, terribly shît and sold to you by somebody really annoying and smug, in a shît jumper’

Using your public library > buying books.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Why not just be last on the flight? Instead of paying to be first on?

Wait in luxury in the terminal. Let everyone else queue up. Then, at the last minute, get up and walk directly onto the plane. It's usually the inexperienced traveller that is fighting to get on early. I'd rather hang back & rub shoulders with those who know what they're doing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,319 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Priority disembarking might be worth paying for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Fashion. All of it. Eliminate it. The people who make profit from idiots buying expensive clothing are the people who are telling you that you need to wear the expensive clothing, most of which is made by tiny hands for slave wages. Does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭1percent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,089 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Exactly

I crawled across the tarmac to a Ryanair flight in Germany suffering from a hangover, last by a mile on the flight

And what did I find when I got on, only the exit row just waiting there empty for me.

You see all the others who get on flights first just head for the first seat they see, so the back and the front fill up, and the middle including the exit row with extra leg room is left waiting for the likes of us who wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

The Luas. Just be vigilant, sit/stand near the doors and watch out for the revenue protection team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Post edited by bodhrandude on

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Jeans with holes in them, 1000 dollar phones, expensive brand clothes, i used an iPhone i dont see what it does different to my 200 euro android phone. Apart from facetime apple pay 95 per cent of apps are also on android I, m not a professional photo artist, I don't care if its got 3 new super hi res camera s with cinema mode I don't take photos I don't take selfies

Digital watchs unless you use em for fitness apps or health apps

Who wants another item to charge

Special edition games that come with maps statues etc digital games on Xbox i but games play em once or twice and trade them in once you play a digital game and maybe dlc it's on no value to you it just takes up hard drive space

I realise apple fans will buy anything with an apple logo on it

Cigarettes or drugs it makes no sense to spend money that destroys your body or is addictive

Fashion employs alot of people in retail but I think most people can look good just by buying from pennys or Dunnes stores i understand fashion is a status symbol eg rich buy certain brands as a status symbol eg I can afford to buy a 400 euro handbag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

money Is useless unless you spend it. May as well spend it on something that might make you happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Only mugs stand around the gate for an age waiting for it to open. I believe airline staff call them 'gate lice'. Godsakes it's a flight with a seat, reserved for you, not the last train to New Delhi.

The only, very small, disadvantage is maybe not having your hand luggage near you due to people taking the absolute piss with hand luggage restrictions bringing mountains of it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

TV Service from broadband or satellite providers - use Saorview and Freesat

Advertisement