Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parkrun, lap two

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I think some of the Chinese phones implement the scanning functionality pretty poorly for the purposes of the volunteer app. My old OnePlus was really slow to scan which made scanning a stressful role. Sometimes the issue can be runners with poorly printed and/or faded barcodes. A cursory look at the reviews of the volunteer app on the Play store show complaints from Huawei phone users blaming the app when it's probably the phone that's just not designed with scanning in mind.

iPhones and Pixels seem to work well if you're due an upgrade soon and you're really, really committed to parkrun 😁.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Haha the phone is quite new so i won't be upgrading 🙃

Thanks to you and robinph for the feedback, at least I know now the issue isn't the user 😁

Hopefully it will get sorted at some point

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I have been time keeper for the last few weeks and have to say that the app is 1000 times better than that old timing watch. Press B and then press A etc

Haven't done barcode scanning yet with the phone but won't miss the old scanners either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

Have Xaomi REDMI and had the same issue. Solved the zooming by asking runner to hold up the barcode against the horizon/skyline bright background maybe 3-4 ft away.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Pixel 4a working really well for my scanning.

Anyone with issues, make sure you properly clean the camera lens. You'd be surprised how much it can help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Agreed, love the new app, way better than the watches/scanners and much easier to use than the old app too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Parkrun 102 done today in Rivervalley.

Whole weekend ahead of ya after it’s completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Butterbeans

Got back to Waterstown today. It really was great to see the familiar faces and have the chats. In some ways it was like we'd never been away. Great to be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Fair bit away yet. But does anyone think we will have an bonus parkruns this year. Christmas day falls on a Saturday so that’s that out the window.

Same as New Years day.

Looks like there's no bonus parkruns this year so with the New Year's Day double gone by the wayside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Was collecting someone from Dublin airport at noon today, obviously checked out what events were close-by so ended up doing parkrun #150 at Donabate. Lovely location I must say.

Post edited by opus on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Letterkenny parkrun last weekend. My PB there is 30:34. As it was my birthday my A goal was to beat my pb and B goal (fingers crossed) was to go sub 30. Delighted when I crossed the line to see 29:29 on my watch!! It's a great workout of a course, the climbs make you work at them but my god did I fly on the downhills!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

There will still be a parkrun on New Year's Day but the option of doing a second run at a nearby parkrun is gone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The loss of the New Years Day Doubles isn't great for new countries developing their parkrun base. It totally makes sense to have limited it for events in the south of England where the density of parkruns is so high and higher chances of issues with overcrowding, or people doing silly things in the name of rushing between far flung events so they can gain some kudos for doing daft things.

But it was only in the last couple of years that it was even possible to do the likes of an NYD double in the US for example, and parkrun is only just starting to get more recognised in such territories and have events close enough together that a double was even feasible. Removing the options of things like the NYD double which can be used to create more of a "thing" around parkrun in places where people are mostly unaware of it is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Agreed. It's only been possible for us to do a NYDD in the last few of years - have done it twice. My local parkrun doesn't do NYD so it was a bit of fun travelling to 2 different parkruns in the one morning and meeting a few from my local parkrun at each one. The only negative was not hanging about to chat at the first parkrun as you were scooting off to the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Is the 2022 NYD double just gone because its falling on a Saturday?

All Saturday park runs start at 9.30 so flexibility for different start times on non Saturday New Years day runs not an option as a result?

No park runs in Ireland last time it fell on Saturday (2011).

Edit - Just saw the link above. Stopped it altogether, just a coincidence that its a Saturday first year its implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Folks, anybody else have problems over the last two weeks with their wristband not been scanned. Between Donabate last week and Fairview this morning, no phone of any of the volunteers would scan the band, so thanks to both race directors for taking my details. Annoyingly, 3 weeks ago there was no problem, so hoping it was just one of those things with 6 different phones 😏

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not great from Parkrun UK...got absolutely destroyed on twitter before deleting the tweet.

https://road.cc/content/news/parkrun-criticised-mini-93mph-286987

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭gar

Plus you will get done for import duty now too on the wristbands

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You will get charged Irish VAT on delivery but you won't have to pay UK VAT so it shouldn't be too much more expensive than previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was at Fairview this morning and my wristband scanned, took a bit of effort by the scanner but fairplay to the volunteer, they tried it a few times. It worked for me by turning it right way up. I know from scanning as a volunteer that the black wristbands are the worse ones to get to scan. If you've a band and it won't scan, most parkruns will send you to the run director who will take your details. Annoying but it seems to be an issue with the bands and not the scanners as it was the same with the old scanners as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Mine is the black with the barcode in white, all three of the volunteers in both Donabate and Fairview tried without success to get it scanned. Might go over the white with a 'grout pen' or something similar and see if I can make the barcode stand out more.

My compliments to everyone in Fairview, very friendly and a very well ran Parkrun.

How old is the wristband? I think my one lasted a year before I started running into “can't scan" problems. I think the actual barcode is susceptible to getting scuffed (wear and tear) over time and they don't work as well.

I replaced it with the one that has the barcode on the inside. That doesn't have any issue so far but I haven't had it in use all that long. It's a bit of a flaff to take off to get scanned though. 🤔

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I've had paper barcodes last longer than a year. I was thinking of getting the wristband but by the sounds of it I am better off sticking to my laminated one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The current wristbands I've found fine, except the popper bit starred falling off one of the families ones after a long time.

There was a version of the wristbands that were pretty bad and faded very quickly just after parkrun brought the sales in house rather than from a third party seller, which were by far the most durable. Had several years of use of all the current bands we have though and only losing them has meant needing to get new ones. No issues with scanning any of the colours we have either which include the black, apricot, green and pink versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Can someone please explain to me why so many people drive to Griffeen parkrun? There is not enough room for the cars and the roads outside is becoming so dangerous for kids now, as the road is not clear for them to see the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Wottle

New Parkrun starting in Abbotstown on Oct 23rd, great news, wonder is it the xc course?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Tramore finally back tomorrow 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Advertisement