Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Selling, Swapping or Wanted Watches & Timepieces *Please read rules in 1st post**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,468 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A lot of places and indeed some fairly big online players offer a sale on consignment service.

They take the watch into their stock, give it a fettle or a clean and then sell it with anything from 6 to 20% of the sale price as their cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah we didnt get into specifics but they take... advertise and take a cut of the sale... not sure of the percentages involved..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

If the Timepiece gentleman thing though us anything its that consignment is dangerous. Its a no risk deal for the dealer. They get free stock and none of their money tied up in it. However if they go bust you are SOL.

Watchmaster in Germany are a huge consignment place. And they operate a slick but dangerous scheme. You send the watch. They get any service or polish need. Then they advertise it and sell taking 20% of the sale price minus the cost of service. On a lot of watches you will actually only get about 50-60% of the sale price back. I think in this day and age of ebay and adverts thats a mad bad deal. Pretty much any watch you put on adverts for 40% less than a fair price will be gone in a flash, even those with a more niche appeal.

Another problem with consignment is that you have sent the watch away, its gone from your possession. As far as you are concerned its mentally sold. So when the dealer rings you with a offer 20% less than reasonable you often just accept it cause some money is better than no money. I often put in mad offers on watches on watchmaster and they get accepted. I got my dress Patek on there with a cheeky bid of 5k less than asking price.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What Fitz said. I don't think I've bought or sold from a dealer in over twenty years. Not since the interwebs allowed us to bypass the middle man. Now that's vintage which is very different to new stuff, but too often I've found dealers are full of poo. No way would I go the consignment route that's for sure and for all the good reasons Fitz notes.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would anyone be interested in a faulty late 1960s Timex Sprite handwound watch to tinker with?

It was working ok, but now it isn't winding properly and only runs for a short time.

Maybe someone is learning how to fix watches? Might be one to mess around with?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Only just seen this now as haven't had a chance to catch up on here lately, thanks for thinking of me @banie01! :)

Have been looking into getting some basic watchmaking tools the last few weeks along with taking a trip to The British Horological Institute for a few days on my week off in October to do a beginner course before going out and buying tools as I may not even have the nack for it!

@NIMAN If the offer is still there, I would be interested as I have to start somewhere ! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

At some point in the not too distant future I'd love to pick up a ww2 era pilots watch (40mm+) where would you reccommend buying and researching?

I'm at the cheaper end of the market so I'm guessing it'll be slim pickings

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At 40mm+ you've even slimmer pickings I'm afraid B. The vast majority of watches of that era are sub 40mm, even sub 35mm. Above 40mm you're down to the bigger Longines Weems(mad money), German B-Uhr navigator watches(big money and huge 55mm) and the 1930's mostly 40-42mm pilot's watch design made by, well loads of brands. the latter is probably the only game in town at your budget. Zenith example below.

This design was made by Zenith, Omega, Longines, Helvetia, Laco, Doxa and a host of others. The recognisable names today are again likely well out of your budget. The Helvetia ones come up regularly and they're a good bet, though quality varies. Figure 8-1000 quid for a good one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Thanks for the info, not the news I wanted but pretty much what I expected lol.

I have a few vintage russians around 35/36mm and I just don't wear them due to the size. I'll keep an eye out but at around 1k I think It'll be a long time before I can justify getting one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Selling my Titanium Hamtun H2 - Sellita SW-200 Version

Also Selling a new Spyderco Delica 4, would make a nice early Christmas Pressie, its blue so it matches the second hand😉

https://www.adverts.ie/25050564

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Funkyouup, any chance of a close up of the writing near the spydy hole please?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Yea sure, i have just added more pics to the ad👍️

Sold the Spyderco and lowered the price down on the watch to 300 if anyone is interested!

Delighted to have taken this watch off of Funkyouup's hands. Great person to deal with and a tactical nuke could have gone off in the postbag and not even rattled the watch it was so well packaged 😁

Would wholeheartedly and happily recommend the seller to anyone who wishes to trade with him.

On the watch, I like it, I'm very surprised by it and I'll throw photos and thoughts up on the photo thread at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭redzerredzer

For Sale

Steinhart Nav B

€350

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If anyone is after a blackbay 58 let me know , have a full set with Harrods receipt in nice condition. On bracelet, black dial and black bezel.

Itll go up on adverts tmrw at some stage.

Surprised no interest in this. Have I overpriced?

Any interest at €300?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Without being all adverts-y, I've got a Steinhart Ocean One on a bracelet with the box (pretty sure it's still in my wardrobe) in fine condition if you'd consider a swap?

Thanks for offer but eyeing up something in particular and sticking to the one in one out policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

If anyone is looking for a nice ladies watch I have my mum's Aquaracer for sale

http://www.adverts.ie/25292877

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Gavin1

Still have this Sinn UX SDR.

This is on a Sinn tegimented bracelet and the bezel is also tegimented.

This was originally from Dec 2011 and was serviced complete with oil change in May 2019 at Sinn. I have the dealer paperwork, service receipt from dealer(only Sinn can service these), manual, 2 full spare links and box.

Case is clean, crystal is unmarked and bezel in unmarked.

If you are interested in this watch, you will know all about it, oil filled and a certified quartz chronometer!

Will also include a Sinn rubber/silicon strap and as Sinn non-tegimented deployment clasp. The strap has been cut and worn but I do not know to what length as I have never mounted it to the watch. I am the second owner

I am looking for € 1,350 for the Sinn.

Any questions let me know. Not interested in trades. Contact me by PM for any queries.

I am based on the Northside of Dublin and am only interested in face to face deals. Will travel a reasonable distance for a face to face.

Post edited by Gavin1 on

They are a fantastic watch and tbh you have it fairly priced too esp with rubber and additional clasp.

Really surprised it's hung around as long as it has. GLWS.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Johnny1980

Hello all ,

Selling this if anyone is interested, my new Tudor BB58 925. Hate parting with it as it’s only 3 months old full set but need a new heat pump and they don’t come cheap . Watch is mint bar a few tiny scuffs at lugs ( caused by strap changing ) comes with extra grey vanguard Tudor strap. Original strap never worn .

Also open to selling this for for a reduced price

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's a pity @Johnny1980 - the Tudor on rubber looks perfect on your wrist.

It’s amazing but my new heat pump could cost as much as 15 k . I have a sub too so I can live without the Tudor . Mind you no chance the the sub is worth 3 times the price . It’s only edges it slightly.

a good friend mentioned it is the best value for money under 4K . It’s sure is . Can’t think of anything better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

That's crazy money for a machine to heat your house!

Would you not sell the sub instead? They're more of a girl's watch these days anyway. That Tudor looks mean and manly on you.

Advertisement