Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on CAAD 13

• 01-10-2021 7:03am

Hi folks,

I'm looking to upgrade from by entry level Cube which I've done a lot of mileage on over the last three years and is starting to cost me money as I didn't look after it as well as I should have. I'll keep it for the turbo trainer and as a winter bike but I really need an upgrade.

I'm a 60 cm frame so my options are quite limited. Have been keeping an eye out and there's very little available.

Spotted this in my local bike shop: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/road/race/caad13/caad13-disc-105

I can get it for 2800e with pedals thrown in and then the bike to work will take it back to a little over 2k cost to me.

I'll end up at around 7000km for the year and usually keep an average well over 30kph for most spins. I plan on doing a lot of cycling on this bike but mostly on my own as I have a young family.

I've spoken to CAAD owners and they all rave about them and all the reviews are very positive. My concern is that with 105 and aluminium frame I'm not making much of an upgrade from my Cube Attain SL, which is a fine bike but owes me nothing now.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

While that is a nice bike I really can't believe the price. The wheels are heavy too so you'd end up risking another 500 more. Very hard to justify spending that money on it.

Just before lockdown I built up a CAAD12 105 disc for less than 1500 (frame cost about 550, groupset about 500, wheels about 200 & then saddle & bars etc).

Prices have gone up everywhere but I still think you would find a much better deal than that by looking around and waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Think it’s really hard to advise on value at the moment as prices have risen so quickly all the new bikes look like really poor value compared with even a year ago.

As to your question, I haven’t ridden a CAAD but the frames have a reputation for being the best or one of the best Alu frames available, at least in earlier series. I don’t know if the latest series are as good as earlier ones - maybe something to check out. Fans seem to say that a CAAD frame is better/nicer than an entry level carbon frame at same price point. I would think that it will be a noticeable step up from your Cube, which although great value, are not the most refined frames in my experience.

Have you checked out Canyon? They seem to be one of the few brands where the new bike price inflation hasn’t gone completely mad. The bike2work with them is a bit more complicated I think but should be able to work it out with some perseverance. Stock levels seem to come and go so you may have to wait a few months but not usually anything crazy.

Thanks. I agree on price, but I've been looking around and waiting since last winter and nothing has come up and prices are going up. It's a tough one really, and there is no guarantee that I'll get anything next spring. I had my heart set on a Canyon but can't get it through Bike to Work.

Just had a look at Canyon and at 2800 it’s carbon ultegra.

I know frame quality and wheels, finishing kit etc to take into account, but seems a better bet to me, unless you really prefer alu.

Yes, the 13 has got some great reviews and is reputed to be the best aluminium frame on the market. I have two friends with 12s and they adore them. If I go for a full carbon frame at the same price you are making a compromises elsewhere - group set, wheels etc.

As for Canyon, I've been on their website all the time since March and can't find what I want. Also, my work don't want to deal with an online retailer outside the country. I've got an approved list which I have to stick to.

• Advertisement

Ah sorry, posts crossed. I see it’s not an option for you.

Exactly what I've been watching but hasn't been in stock in a 60cm frame and my work have an approved list and won't deal with Canyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think Cannondale, even in the before times, were overpriced for the aluminum frames (speaking as someone who has an AL Topstone, which I do love).

When I got my TCR, I looked at the CAAD - I've kinda always had a nagging doubt that they go so light with the tubing is it really much more robust than Carbon (which appears to be part of the logic as why people rate them).

Thanks. I'd rather a robust aluminium than a lower end carbon which scrimps on the other components. I plan on doing a lot of mileage in this one and looking after it very well. At the moment I'm being swayed by a few CAAD owners, who swear by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I know I'm always beating the 2nd hand drum, and someone has to buy new bikes so that there can be used bikes, but I'd be using your literal height advantage to its fullest. Bide your time, if there's a new or nearly new bargain "one left, one size only" you can bet your a$$ it's an XS or an XL. I'm forever clicking on bargains of the century only to click away in disgust cos it's a size 60 or a size 46. When they come up in large sizes like that, it's a limited market and they're harder to shift, so I certainly in your position to either used or ex-stock well below RRP stuff.

You need to do the digging though.

Having said that, once you factor the bike to work scheme into it, it does take a bit of the sting out of the CAAD full RRP. How much of an upgrade it is over what you have already though... well only you can justify that to yourself really. I'm sure the caad is lovely. In my experience the finishing kits are a bit low rent. Cannondale are both stingy and hungry.

• Advertisement

That is mad money for that Cannondale. OP mentioned they had an entry level Cube, a Cube Agree C:62 goes for near enough the same money as that CAAD.

https://www.cube.eu/en/2022/bikes/road/road-race/agree/cube-agree-c62-pro-greyncarbon/

Another option here, although closer to 2500 but not using b2work voucher…

https://www.bike24.com/p2386522.html?menu=1000,173,157

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I guess that is my point/ concern - is it more robust as they go so light on the tubes? Anyway, it was that years TCR Advanced with Ultegra v the next years Ultegra CAAD with funky bottom bracket for give or take the same money. Only change in the TCR was the colour scheme.

I wouldn't buy Cube again as the wheels were so poor on my entry level so the 1200 I spent on it quickly became 1800 after wheel replacement and some repairs. It also comes with SRAM as opposed to Shimano.

I suppose most of the cheaper carbons come with a major trade off.

Nice but would work out nearly 500e more than the CAAD as couldn't use the BTW scheme with it.

I've been trawling the second had pages and all the online stores since March looking for a bike to no avail which is why I'm very tempted to go with the CAAD as I'm in danger of going another full year without a replacement and the Cube is starting to cost me money now in repairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

I've never tried a CAAD13 but I've a CAAD10 and SuperSix himod here with about 55,000km between them and I couldn't see myself changing either of them short of some sort of catastrophic failure. Fantastic bikes. CAADs are, and always have been, expensive to buy new "for aluminium". It was that way with the 10, the 12 and now the 13.

Thanks. Those I've spoken to who have owned one have all given me pretty much the same feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I've a friend with 115k km on a 2014 Caad 10.

Bear in mind all the glowing praise is for rim brake bikes, see if you can find out what adding disc has done to how it rides.

The old bike costing you money is money that has to be spent if you are keeping it, so shouldn't really be a reason to buy a new bike.

Drivetrains by their nature out and it'll be the case with any bike you buy

• Advertisement

Unfortunately, in this case it was my stupidity and neglect that caused the issues with the drive train. I didn't look after it for the first two years and am paying the price now. I have all the tools and a lot more knowledge now so I'll be looking after any new bike very well.

The CAAD 13 with disc brakes has equally good reviews.

Not much good to me as don't have my size and won't get me on the BTW but fairly sickening to see the price differences all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭themighty

I've a 2018 CAAD 12 Ultegra disc. I think the RRP was 2700. I picked it up a few months before the 13 was announced and got it for ~2000 at the time. It's hard to believe the prices have gone up so much that it's 2800 for the 105, sounds like gouging by the retailers not just the manufacturer increases.

Having said that it's a brilliant bike. Great fun to ride. It can be a bit harsh on rough roads but nothing like my previous ALU bike. The 13 supposed to be more compliant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I have a caad 12 and find it fantastic. Started racing A4 on it this year and am in no way out of place

Even still what needs replacing? Chain, brake pads and cables are just normal wear and tear, then BB/ cassette, then chainrings if you weren't looking after it. Worst case scenario derailleurs. Looking at a few hundred euros.

I'm probably the worst on this forum for money spent on new bikes Vs km I use them for (although there would be a lot of candidates for that award) and my main hobby when I was bored in lockdown was buying a new bike, but it is still really hard for me to suggest to buy that bike at that price when it will be no better than what you have unless you upgrade the wheels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

Sounds like your mind’s already made up.

Watch out for sizing. Cannondale usually come up larger than other bikes so although you’re a 60cm Cube, you may be a 58cm caad.

I wouldn’t go near disc, personally. But that’s just me.

Think Cube sizing is a bit funny also? I’m a 56 normally but my Cube is a 58.

Thanks for the tip. I'm every bit of 6ft 5" so it would want to be a huge 58, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

As for the mind being made up, I think you are right - every CAAD owner I've spoken to raves about them and says I won't regret it.

• Advertisement

Caads/Supersix have normal sizing IMO, they just feel big to some because of the race geo - bit longer, bit lower. Though the current gen bikes aren't as long or as low as previously. The sizing with Cube is definitely out of sync with most other brands.

I'm a shade under 6-1 and very comfortable on a 58 Caad10 with 120mm stem. At 6-5 broadly speaking you're looking at the 60 unless you've some unusual body proportions.

Post edited by Plastik on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

I wouldn't heed anything written in the cycling media

One other caveat that occurred to me out on me bike today would be the possibility of an imminent CAAD 14? The 13 is out a while now and there might be a new model in the pipeline?

Yup, that's something I am concerned about too. There was four years between the 12 and 13 so my guess it will be another 2-3 before we see a 14. It was launched in 2019 but only on the market about 17 months.

I have the money put away now and need a bike now so I can't be getting too worried about what might have beens. Inevitably, whatever I buy, something will crop up soon after that will be better value but I'm not going to get too worried about that.

I'm going to scour the new and second hand market for another week but if I can't find anything else by then, I'll go for the CAAD.

Thanks for all the advice folks, I think I have a plan now at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I had a caad 3 (I think) years ago. I thought it was a rough old thing. Could feel everything up through the frame.

This would be my main concern with any Alu frame to be honest. On bad roads they can feel very rough. Maybe CAADs are somehow different. The biggest change from Alu to Carbon frame that I noticed was it was a lot less jarring on bad roads.

Nah, I've had some lovely Al bikes - a storck and a Bowman. Aluminium rides absolutely beautifully in my experience.

I presume that "3" isn't a typo for "13" and that Cannondale have improved their al frames in the interim :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭gn3dr

Correct, it was a 3 and not a 13. We're talking retro here ( except it wasn't retro then) and yes I would hope they have improved in the following 10 generations !

Just to update the thread - I gave two more weeks looking online (for new and second hand) and searched and rang loads of shops that were compatible with my Bike to Work but to no avail (60cm frame made it hard).

I bought the CAAD13 and got it last week. I've had two spins so far, one in crosswinds and the second on very wet roads today and have been blown away by how it rides compared to the entry level Cube I had.

I was off today and managed to get out for a good 1.5 hour tempo effort on hilly roads with loads of surface water, but came in at 33.2kph when my previous best time on dry roads and in summer gear was 32kph. It just feels so much quicker and smoother.

My wife is due our third baby in March and I plan on doing loads of cycling between now and then before an inevitable lull. I may have gotten better bang for my buck in the spring but the CAAD13 was the right bike at the right time for me, and I absolutely love it.

Thanks for the help and the advice, even if I ignored some of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MYP82

I’m looking at getting a caad13 but stock is hard to find. I’m 178cm with long arms do any owners here think there’s any point trying a 56 or is it simply too big? Thanks

I've never looked at the Caad13 geometry at all but I am 178cm and have a 54cm Caad12 - there is no chance a 56cm would fit.

Bike fitter suggested I shorten the stock stem from 100mm to 90. The geometry is also a bit odd with the seatpost - I have much less seatpost showing than any other bike I have. If I was on a 56cm I think the seatpost would by right down in the frame retro style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

I am 182cm tall. I ride a 54cm CAAD12 with a 120mm stem if that's any help.

How 'bout this, I'm 183cm tall and riding a 58cm CAAD10 and SuperSix also with 120mm stems. How are you on a 54 at 182cm! When I sit on a 54 it feels like I'm sitting on a childs bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭G1032

Lol. I'd get away with a 56, no doubt about it alright, but I just got the smallest frame that would fit. A work colleague has a 54cm CAAD12 also, and he's taller than me, but he has a 130mm stem

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Is the guts of 3k for an aluminium bike with 105 not a bit steep?

Bit late to be worrying about that now as it's bought now but I did pay over the odds for it, yes, though with BTW I paid less than 2k in the end. In terms of performance, it is light years ahead of the Cube Attain which I paid 1,200e for in 2018 and then had to fork out another 600e for new wheels as the stock ones were so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭sin_26

Would you mind to let us know real weight of Caad13 105 disc in 60 size with pedals and all?

Cheers

Advertisement