Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

‘Working people” and “ordinary working people “ what are the rest

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I dont think the political parties are sure themselves who they are addressing exactly. It's a catch-all phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RandRuns

I always find amnesty as the most laughable one, in the building they own there are something like 10-12 registered NGO's with similar missions, each one of them the board is the same revolving group of about 8-12 people and constantly in publications they release statements like 'x NGO thinks this is shocking, just look at this report we found from Y NGO' , they use themselves as their own validators/fact checkers.

Amnesty are like the poster child of what can go wrong when a fanatic is put in charge.

A once widely-respected charity, that had a clear mission and focus, now a promotional vehicle for one man's obsessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭Good loser

mariaalice wrote: »
    I dont think the political parties are sure themselves who they are addressing exactly. It's a catch-all phrase.

I like that. Both terms are favoured by the left and used interchangeably and can be assumed to be meaningless. I have never seen it used in UK or US etc.

Of course the journalists on the media never interrogate the expression.
    Probably originated when the PAYE cohort were on the rampage to get the farmers into the income tax net. Most certainly then 'workers' did not include farmers; as I said the term must be meaningless and will continue so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'd have a different take on it to most people here, but it'd be informed by my own political bias (then again, so is everyone else's :D ) - working people in this context applies to those who make money by producing a good or service in exchange for it, as opposed to those who make it by speculating and trading in sh!t that other people built and that they don't have a use for.

The latter category are, in my view, absolute parasites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

An awful lot of NGOs are providing services in the community that the state will not provide directly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

VANG1 wrote: »
    Politicians keep using the above terms, can someone explain what they mean. How about retired people, housewives, performers, poets etc. Are they not supposed to represent everyone or are they trying to engraciate themselves to a certain group.

The peasants basically.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 Davauer

Working class or poor people

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People who do not work in offices, basic retail workers, drivers, people who earn less than 30k,
    Eg blue collar workers, people who work in music venues theatres etc are important too tourists do not come to Ireland to shop in Dunnes stores
    How many people work full time as poets ?
    Eg the arts are an important part of our economy

riclad wrote: »
    People who do not work in offices, basic retail workers, drivers, people who earn less than 30k,
    Eg blue collar workers, people who work in music venues theatres etc are important too tourists do not come to Ireland to shop in Dunnes stores
    How many people work full time as poets ?
    Eg the arts are an important part of our economy

You are defining "“ordinary working people" as people not working in Offices?
    Office workers are ordinary working people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

It is a catch all phrase meaning we are doing this thing, for this large group of people, like we should, I'm a good and wise politician. look at how sensible my policies are, All right thinking people should agree with me.

Clearly it does not define any particular group but you could be mistaken for thinking you were included if you had a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭blackbox

There was a time when Ordinary Working People were represented by the Labour Party.

What happened to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Paul Murphy and Richard Boyd- Barrett happened.

Advertisement