Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wonka

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,504 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rowan Atkinson, Sally Hawkins and Olivia Colman have joined Wonka

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm guessing this project remains unaffected by Netflix's acquisition of the Roald Dahl Story Company? Will it become a Netflix production, or are WB simply allowed to continue, given it predates Netflix's action.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

I tend to reffer to them as reborquels (a soft-reboot-sequel-prequel).

Personally I just can't wait for the backstory on how Wonka got his top hat and the intricate meaning behind his use of a cane combined with a 'gritty retelling' of his origin and probably how he got his name.... *sigh*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I judge these things much more on the talent involved than anything else, and in fairness to him Paul King hasn't really put a foot wrong in either his writing or directing thus far - I daresay if he's doing this, it's because he has a good idea for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

So, Will.i.am then? That could actually work...

*I quoted the wrong post, but don't know how to correct now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,886 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

First look

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Feels more Oliver Twist to me (the Gonzo comparison from Christmas Carol is hilarious), but curious to see what his take will be on it!

Wonka footage shown at CinemaCon featured Hugh Grant as an Oompa Loompa

Could mods please merge both Wonka Prequel threads

CMod: done.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Advertisement

Lovely new green look for Daniel Cleaver 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Paul King's involvement does turn my head, and the "no daydreaming" gag made me laugh, so who knows? The aesthetic looks fun, and Chalamet certainly seems to be showing a lot of bouncy energy from the more dour, serious roles he has taken of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think it looks pretty good.

Definitely seems to be going for an earnest, wonder & awe story approach as opposed to the more cynical vibes in Depp's outing. Which could be expected from director's previous work.

I might even considering waiting until it's out on streaming platforms rather than going to to see it in the cinema. Nope, Scratch that. Reverse it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Hugh Grant as an Orangeman at this time of the year I just have to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That looks rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

Kinda agree. Saw a trailer for it in the cinema recently and it left me stone cold. I do like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory quite a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,544 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The 70's classic or the Burton abomination?

(Can you tell which one I like? 😄 )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

There's a very easy way to differentiate. 70's version is called Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, not Charlie.

Anyway, I hated both versions and won't be watching this either. I was a HUGE Roald Dahl fan as a kid but C&TCF is one of those books I'd kind of consider unfilmable because so much of it is down to the reader's imagination/interpretation. Stuff that works perfectly fine on the page becomes problematic on-screen because it's so difficult to portray Wonka as anything other than a bit weird and creepy in real life and obviously the Oompa Loompas are going to cause any filmmaker difficulty. Dahl wrote them as entirely fictional, almost magical creatures but because of their portrayal in the original film, they're almost indelibly associated with offensive stereotypes of people with Dwarfism. If we'd first seen them onscreen as whimsical animated characters, for example, things would be very different, imo, but instead we have an almost unsalvageable situation where any new depiction of them is going to be picked apart and found wanting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

C&TCF is one of those books I'd kind of consider unfilmable because so much of it is down to the reader's imagination/interpretation

You could almost say it's a world of pure imagination.....

I'll let myself out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I had to forcibly restrain myself from using that line in my post.

I think Gene Wilder and that soundtrack do a LOTTT of the heavy lifting with that 70s film ... cos honestly beyond that the thing was fairly inert. Shot like a documentary in the opening acts with almost zero panache - and even the actual chocolate factory scenes rarely gets a pulse of the cinematic. The TV Room about as funky as it got; moment like the beheaded chicken a real WTF moment too. But said opening acts were a total, tedious chore to get through.

Never actually watched the Burton version - precisely because I took one look at Johnny Depp's schtick in the trailer & knew I'd hate every moment of it. Plus Burton's aesthetic just didn't seem like a good match for the material. And, yeah: the footprint of Gene Wilder was just so large I knew Depp would come up completely short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd be almost the opposite. To be fair I wouldn't call the Gene Wilder one an abomination, but I've never liked it. It's interesting that Roald Dahl despised it and basically disowned it.

The Burton one I have a lot of time for, not perfect and Johnny Depp overdoes it somewhat, but good fun, it captured the essence of the book infinitely better.

Just reading that  Neil Hannon is writing the sings for this.

That should add another bit of quirkiness to it.

They certainly have the whimsy cranked up to 11. But a little too sugary as well; II know I cribbed about the Gene Wilder one being very flat, but it did have an edge to it all; Wilder playing it whimsical but also kinda manic too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So his dad's not a dentist in this one ?

Never saw the Tim Burton version as had already checked out on that guy's work by then. Is it as bad as people say or has their been any reassessment of it?

Well the first reviews are appering and it's getting glowing reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's not an idea I'm excited about - but Paul King has produced such absolute magic with the two Paddington movies that I'll go see it from his involvement alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

I saw that alright and at the risk of sounding cynical, I've seen this happen before, many times and the film turned out to be something of a turkey. It could be great but I'll wait to see it for myself before I make a judgement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it tonight and alas I thought it was pretty much inert, a film without a soul. It looks great but it's this great looking hollow creation. And it was like the equity diversity and inclusion officer was actually the director and not Paul King. Came across like they had to have the correct ratio of black, Asian and Indian actors in every scene. Its movie making by a set of fixed criteria which kills the life and natural vitality of a film, hence the lack of soul.

Post edited by santana75 on

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Wonka – 8.5/10

An unashamed family musical that is perfect for this time of year. It took 2 or 3 musical numbers before it grabbed me, but when it did, I found myself comparing it to Aladdin in terms of how catchy the songs were and how much energy it had. Then I realised that I am comparing a classic Disney animation with live action, which is the biggest compliment I can pay this film. Paul King has effortlessly achieved something that is incredibly tough to pull off. It puts every single Disney live action ‘remake’ to shame.

The plot is a little messy, but they deserve credit for not just retreading the same Wonka story we’ve already seen twice on the big screen. I felt that King and Farnaby were looking at multiple Roald Dahl stories for inspiration. The three members of the chocolate cartel reminded me of the three farmers from Fantastic Mr Fox. The Giraffe bit reminded me of the The Giraffe, The Pelly and Me. Olivia Coleman and Tom Davies grumpy landlords were reminiscent of The Twits etc…

Paddington 2 is a tough act to follow, and whilst this is a little uneven and has slight pacing issues, I think you just must let those knit picks fall to the floor and go with it. It’s a joyous and hilarious film. Neil Hannon’s music is catchy and full of clever word play. Other than a few moments where Wonka’s eccentricity is a bit of a stretch, Timothée Chalamet does more than enough to cement his place as the second-best screen Wonka. There’s plenty of room for the Wilder cynicism to grow within him, but for now we have a much more wide-eyed and optimistic Wonka and I look forward to seeing where they take him in the inevitable sequels that follow. 

Can Paul King make Wonka 2 as good as Paddington 2? He’s certainly laid the chocolatey foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

A gorgeous film. It succeeds on almost every level. Chalamet is a revelation. I think over time this will become a festive favourite. It’s not a Christmas movie, but it has that whimsical, magical feel to it. Great songs, sequences, sets, and music. Just an all round quality film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Agree with your Neil Hannon comment. I could see him performing the songs himself, each one worked so well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surprisingly fun and charming! I say surprisingly, but really I shouldn't have doubted Paul King. It's not exactly the all-timer that Paddington 2 is, but it's so packed with charm, odd flourishes and genuine good humour that it's fun to get swept up in it all. The story barely hangs together at times, the pacing is odd, and some of the callbacks are a tad forced... but again it's the infectious energy of the thing that carries the day. Even the songs are mostly good. It's a fundamentally cynical project - I mean, a 'Wonka prequel' cries corporate-mandated effort. But not unlike Barbie, this shows that when you have a thoughtful, imaginative director behind it all, something that comes from a bad place can ultimately emerge as something that earns that smile on your face.

If I had one broad criticism, it's that it largely lacks the darker edge of Dahl's work and many of the best adaptations of his work (including the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Wes Anderson's recent efforts). That extends to Chalamet's performance - he does a solid job, but there's a lack of the sinister energy that made Wilder's take so memorable. It's hard to see this character growing into that character. But taken on its own terms, this is a sweet, winning family musical that very much overdelivers on a thankless task.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I think that’s an unfair criticism. This is a young Wonka. The darkness in the film comes from external characters.

Younger people tend to be less cynical and more blindly optimistic, and to achieve his goal of starting up a chocolate factory, he’d absolutely need that infectious, blind optimism.

I could totally see that being chipped away with over time, and see this character transform into GWs character.

From Wonkas perspective, there’s no room for darkness, cynicism, doubt at this time, and this film is all the better for it.

I read a review that suggested the problem was Chalamet was just too cool to be wonka; that there needed to be a certain oddball energy to the actor ala Wilder of yore. Not a darkness but a sense of slightly untempered, manic mystery. Like a Doctor Who of the Peter Capaldi flavour; magnetic but perhaps a bit dangerous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To me there’s nothing really in the film to suggest that wild, crazed edge that we see in the later film. In this Wonka is subjected to forced imprisonment, corporate sabotage, murder attempts (plural) and other cruelties, and other than a bit of plot mandated ‘knock him down to get him back up again’ none of it really impacts his childlike exuberance. He’s still the jolly, endlessly optimistic and pure soul he was at the start - even more so, arguably.

Which isn’t a problem in and of itself - I think the film is quite delightful on the whole, and I’ve no problem with a different spin on the character. The minor problem arises when the film overtly places itself as a prequel to the original film (including several familiar songs) so there’s a dissonance there that certainly stood out for me. But a modest criticism for a film I very much enjoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭Patser

Seen it with family yesterday, and found it really enjoyable. Very 'Paddington' charming - unsurprising given director, cast, writers etc - but all just pure panto fun.

Yes, I agree with above, as a prequel, if you grew up with Gene Wilder version, it just doesn't gel at all - Chalamet's pure, instant friend making Wonka in a very European quirky town, somehow becomes a reclusive, distrustful factory owner in a depressed Northern English town with no-one but whispering Oompa Loompas as company (no sauve cocktail making chatterbox Hugh Grants)...

But if you can forget about that link, and just go with it, it's fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

Saw it tonight - I’d give it a 6 / 10.

It seemed lazy to me if that makes sense, the plot was basic and didn’t really hold my or my kids (12 and 15) attention.

Visually it’s excellent, it does look and feel like a Paddington movie but doesn’t quite have the same quality of storyline or draw you in like a Paddington.

My older son who went to see it with his GF described it as pointless. In as much as every film is pointless I’d agree with that as a description.

That said I did enjoy Hugh Grant’s Oompa Loompa.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Thought they'd get more into the background of how the factory came about and the world of the oompa loompas, thought that would of been what the film was built around. They touched on it, but the intrigue for me has always how, what we see in the original film/book, all came about.

Disappointed in that sense. Chalamet is the spit of Gene Wilder though, which I assume they were going for. Was alright, missed a trick in many ways though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭jj880

Saw it today with my son. Really enjoyed it.

I never got the Chalamet hype with his eyes half closed brooding and pouting.

Thought he was great in this though. By the time it got round to the song I think everyone waits for watching this I didn't want it to end. Great family musical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭feelings

Jaysus. That was a hard watch. Very poor attempt.

It won't be a movie that will be remembered for generations to come for me.

Reminded me a lot of the Mary Poppins Returns it was grand for what it was but not a patch on the original movies and the leads just didn't have the same edge or charisma at the original characters.

The songs were also not catchy at all until the original movies song arrived.

I also just don't get the buzz around Chalamet he just feels like he would be better suited on the Kardashians or a show like that instead of lead in a major film.

• Advertisement
Advertisement