Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aer lingus on board catering

• 28-09-2021 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Flew back from Palma on Sunday night with Aer Lingus with the friendliest crew ever ( Cork based working out of Dublin currently) but my god the on board catering may as well not exist! milk wasn’t even available for the tea or coffee ! How has the switch over to Dnata been such a disaster ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Supposedly DNATA can’t get supplies? Ryanair having similar issues but are able to stock up at out stations. Beggars belief EI are putting up with it considering how fed up a lot of people are with their overall service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

The worst thing is, this isn’t a temporary issue it’s been ongoing for months now.

Huge revenue loss for EI too as there’s literally nothing to sell onboard.

I can’t understand how it’s not been resolved. It’s been months ….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

If it’s not sorted by the start of the winter schedule you have to question the competency of management.

Months later and no sign of a resolution is starting make the whole thing feel like a very amateur operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

• Registered Users Posts: 24,774 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

No matter the airline...only solution is when you get past security screening at the airport get stocked up in the shops, I’ve been doing that for a while, not taking a chance and relying on what if anything might be left onboard , ....I’d just rather bring on say a subway or freshly made sambo, crisps, muffin and a coke & water knowing when I want it it’s in my bag and I can relax and get fed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Reminds me of a Scoot flight from NRT-SIN a few years ago. My backpack was searched at the gate and my bottle of water was removed because outside food and drink was not allowed on board.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Candamir

You were lucky to get the tea and coffee tbh. It's a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

send Lynne Embleton an email. Lots of emails. Why cant DNATA source in Ireland?

Internal comms refer to Brexit problems, which is a load of cr*p, I've yet to hear of any supply issues anywhere in ROI from Europe. FR are cleaning up.

Unless Dnata is sourcing its Dublin business from its larger UK operations, there really shouldn’t be any Brexit related supply issues in Ireland.

My guess is that Aer Lingus management just see it as an easy excuse to staff that can be passed down to passengers; first it was easy to blame Covid, now easy to blame Brexit. The reality is the airline outsourced its catering and the new supplier has got it very, very wrong leaving Aer Lingus with mud on its face once again.

The race to the bottom is a rocky one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 coupons1987

I don’t buy the brexit excuse the milk Aer Lingus normally have on board is from Lakeland in Cavan how on earth could Brexit have any effect on the supply. Are transatlantic flights being catered properly?

Sounds more China style then Japan...

at that rate why didn’t they confiscate your MP3 player, they might have sold those too...because that’s the logic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think scoot are Singapore Airlines budget brand?

True but the flight was originating in Japan. It would have been local ground staff confiscating stuff if that’s the deal.

Only solution these days the way things are is get yourself stocked up in the shops and forget the tat on the trolley.

I think it was in the t&c's when I flew with them last a few years ago, although they didn't search me at the gate. I managed to smuggle some sandwiches on board.

Its the pile em high uber capitalist approach. Nice planes, but that's about all that's nice.

I doubt t&c’s like that would be legal, prohibition of the consumption of certain food, what food ? “Ohhh any food we didn’t sell you sir”

That's the way cinemas operate, and indeed cafes and restaurants. Don't know anything about Singapore law though.

My experience with them was ok, but have read they can be thoroughly unpleasant to fly with too. RYR of old on steroids is how an Irish expat described them to me as.

Anyway to return to the thread, are Lingus catering hasn't been great for a long time.

Cinema I go to doesn’t have that policy, don’t remember seeing it elsewhere i just bring whatever and nobody in 17 years said boo, no signs either.

well a cafe and restaurant it would be a little odd if you brought your own food.

an aircraft, not so...haven’t got time to sit down and eat and it’s a subway and diet coke... bring my own rubbish off though...problem with EI is the lack of real substantial offerings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

That’s cool, that’s your personal choice.

However from a business perspective it’s piss poor, as a plane full of people with nothing to do for 2/3 hours going on their holidays to the sun like to, and do buy drinks and snacks on flights.

Everyday Aer Lingus are sending out flights full of passengers with their purses and wallets at the ready to spend onboard and they’re then declining this revenue; at a time when they’ve made record losses due to the pandemic. It beggars belief really.

Family members went to Gran Canaria last week. Ask for a G&T (you can’t consume airport purchased alcohol onboard by law) and ended up having to have gin and sparkling water as that’s all their was. This was the outbound flight. I’ve heard of other flights with no tea or coffee and some with tea/coffee but no milk!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Went to Barcelona a few weeks ago and there was hot drinks, soft drinks and chocolate bars - nothing else.

There can't be any contract in the world that would allow that level of underperformance without giving a complete out to Aer Lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Lynne Shambleton created and appointed a Chief Customer Officer at the end of August, you would think by now she might have sorted the issue out, as there's no way she cannot be aware of it.

Instead, like the rest of the executive management, it seems she's been too busy patting herself on the back for getting the job, rather than trying to actually improve the service on board (and hence increase revenue and as a result allow the staff who are under huge mental and financial strain to recover some of their decreased wages) or resolve any of the supply issues! It's an embarrassment for the crew on board to have to inform passengers that there's no catering, and rather than admitting gross incompetence, the company have decided to hide behind Brexit.

And yes, I am in a bad mood😁

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep learned that the hard way coming from the canaries with Ryanair once- only had crackers and cheese and a few snacks to sell. Was starving. So lesson learned, I always bring on board food now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,750 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Flew Shannon - Heathrow yesterday on EI386. Just tea, coffee and chocolate bars, Twix bars etc. available. No sandwiches. Apologies from the crew.

The shiny new A321neo LR was nice to fly on however.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Flew out to Tenerife last week on AL and only water, soft drinks and beer were available. The cabin crew were very friendly and blamed it on a "stocking issue", the flight was nearly full so plenty of revenue missed out particularly it been a 4 hour flight.

Flew back on Ryanair (times suited better) and a full compliment of food and drink was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Neighbour flew back with EI from TFE and all they had was tea coffee and some chocolate bars, She said that the crew member told her that they be hoping to have full bars by winter time looks like I be stocking up before boarding.

Also saw the catering trucks going down the road alongside rwy10/28 are they based outside the airport these days?

The Dnata catering facility is at the logistics park, towards the end of Runway 10, it’s quite a distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭donkey balls

Well they can expect catering delays that road does easily be backed up during the rush hours, What happened the catering facilities accross from post 4 that they used?

EI catering is gone, believe that building is returned-lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭NH2013

Believe also that building will have to be demolished shortly for the construction of pier 5.

• Advertisement

Flew LHR-SNN yesterday, flight was pretty much full, couldn’t fault the crew as they were excellent throughout. The catering on offer was still limited of course but what they did have appeared well stocked, plenty of tea, coffee, wine and sweet treats were sold. I was in row 20 and everything was still in stock despite the good uptake in the cabin.

The sooner the full Bia offering is back, the better. Unfortunately I don’t think the logistical issues at Dnata will ever go away. A great example of how outsourcing can backfire.

Advertisement