Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Gracepearl

Thanks for all the helpful info regarding the interviews- Will try to plan my answers using the STAR method.

Just wondering if anyone knows how all 6 competencies are broken down during the interview? i.e. Is there specific time given to each competency or are some of the competencies scattered throughout the interview/overlap with others?

Also I was wondering if anyone is having difficulty accessing their PDF application forms from the public jobs site? I’ve tried viewing it from a variety of different pc’s & devices and it never seems to load?

thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Redsettee90

They will tell you which competency is being tested.

The interview seems very fair they ask you leading questions to get you to do well if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭T900i

I was having difficulty getting mine to open no matter what I did. I emailed PAS as it was a software issue for me and they emailed the fix to me and my application I’ll look for the fix and send it to you

Please see below

fix for downloading application form as received from PAS hope it helps

This sounds like an Adobe issue. I’ll paste some instructions below which should help:

The first thing I would suggest is checking that Adobe is set as your default PDF reader. It may be that you have not got Adobe 7.0.5 (or higher) set as your default PDF reader. Some operating systems (Windows in particular) don't auto-default a new download like Adobe. They revert to their generic PDF reader (which cannot interact with our active PDF e-form).

So whilst you might have downloaded and even installed Adobe, your system might not actually be using it. My advice is to go into your settings menu and manually set Adobe as your default PDF reader. This should solve the problem. 

If it doesn’t, and you are using the “Google Chrome” web browser, try the following;

If, when you attempt to download the PDF application form, you are seeing a white page containing the message 'please wait...', you may be encountering an issue with Chrome. Whilst Chrome will download and save the PDF application form, it doesn’t open PDF’s using Adobe, it tries to open PDF’s as a tab within the web browser, causing the PDF to crash.

To work around this issue, please follow these steps;

1.        Ensure Adobe has been set as your default PDF Reader.

2.        Shut Chrome down temporarily.

3.        Navigate to the “Downloads” folder on your computer. The PDF application form will have saved to this location.

4.        Double click on the PDF application form icon and Adobe should open it (alternatively, right click on the PDF application form icon and select

“Open With” from the drop down menu, then select “Adobe”).

If your issue persists please contact me again and I will try to assist you further.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 VD91

Hi, I saw a comment on a DPER circular earlier regarding moving from Public Service to Civil Service on promotion and keeping your scale if higher than minimum but less that maximum of the CS scale. Has anyone left the Public Service for the Civil Service not via promotion but just through open competition for same grade? I got to keep my increment date, takeover my annual leave accumulated but they wouldn't allow me keep the wage of the Public service role even though it was higher than that of the starting CS Salary Scale. I was curious as I was advised people before me did the same and got to keep their wage until the point that the CS Scale was higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mrmoon

Hey how long were people waiting to hear back if they had passed Etray, I done mine on 24th August and haven’t heard anything yet.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Vologda69

I switched and kept my ps salary (Off point) as the scales were different and also the increment date. Will go to next increment next Spring

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭furrybones

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

I completed my Etray on 17th June and received my results 09 August

My interview is this week

I’m Dublin only, hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭divillybit

Haven't got my etray results for Roscommon yet despite doing the etray back in June. I wonder are there many counties where no etray results have been issued?

That's quite a while! Have you contacted PAS to ask about the results?

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts"

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Anymore movement in the regions? Doesn’t seem like many people are getting placed.

Didn't contact PAS as I just reckoned there wouldnt be too many vacancies coming up in Roscommon.. I did get my OOM results for Longford though.

I would contact them. That seems like too long a time to be waiting for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

How fast or slowly are people finding they are being placed in areas outside Dublin? I’m top 3 in my county and would love to have some sort of idea when I might hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Whistledown

Hi all

I haven't been on this for a while but has anyone any update on offers from Offaly or Westmeath for EO 2020. I had to choose my County in May but haven't heard anything since

• Registered Users Posts: 16 CaitCat

Hi all, I just had my Dublin interview and wanted to say thank you to everyone for sharing such great tips and advice on here. It really helped me through the whole process.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭VitreousLife

best of luck to you for your results! hopefully you won’t be waiting too long to hear

Any tips for the rest of us? 😂 I’m like a bag of nerves already and my interview isn’t until the end of the week. Stomach is just in knots already

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Keeks101

Hi, what batch were you in and what OOM? I was batch 3 and just waiting for an interview i But seems to be taking forever. Thanks in advance ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

Hi Whistledown,

I'm on the panel for Offaly and sat the Etray exam last month, still waiting on the results and all going well a date for interview. I'm in the top 10 for Offaly so its a very slow process. Hopefully someone on the Westmeath panel can shed some light on where they are at.

Absolute best of luck to you for your interview,

mine is tomorrow at 1pm- I’m very nervous aswell but I’ve got a couple of examples for each competency prepared- There is a document with effective performance indicators for each competency on the public jobs site which I have used to help prepare myself I have found it very helpful!

im better in writing than speaking so I hope I can explain my answers well enough tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

I had mine today, definitely the toughest CS interview iv sat. Hopefully did enough to get it across the line. Happy overall although one competency wasnt great.. Fingers crossed anyway..

Im assuming we were among the first batch of interviews so results could be 4/5 weeks out..

Write down the civil service values and the competencies and have them in front of you.

Try to have examples for all of the values and competencies from your previous roles and experience. Make the answers short because they keep to a tight schedule.

At the end of the day they are doing multiple interviews across many days so try to stand out and remember they are just people like you.

I counted to 3 before I answered some questions so I didn't get flustered.

Also, have ID and a drink nearby. They asked if I had ID even though I sent ID electronically. I didn't have one nearby so they said they would check the one I sent, but it's worth having one to hand.

Also, they went through my application, I had it to hand so I could see what I wrote (It's in my applications on Public Jobs)

I also read a PDF called A Guide to the Civil Servicre the day before the interview and that helped me understand aspects of the service better.

Hi Keeks101

I’m batch 3 Dublin Open 12x Interdepartmental Dublin 3x

fingers crossed that you are called soon

Just finished my interview 🤞🏻the panel were very nice but time got away from me a bit towards the end of the interview!

be prepared to be cut off halfway through an answer folks 🙈

Found it quite manageable overall but there were more questions than I thought there would be. They follow the competencies as they are listed so no massive curveballs.

Best of luck to all interviewing this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LISAMC38

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭VitreousLife

Thanks so much for your advice.

Interview done and dusted so now it’s just a waiting game I guess.. anyone get any indicators of when results would be or?

they never said to me!

• Advertisement

Is info@publicjobs.ie the correct email address to query the slow OOM results or is there a specific email address for the EO competition?

Advertisement