Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If in doubt - get tested!

Options
  • 20-09-2021 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭

So, 2 bros live at home with Dad.. 1 bro was ill for about a week.. said it was a cold.. (even though he was sweating and had funny taste in mouth, coughing etc).. apparently said "no need for test - just a cold). Dad 83, other brother is v vulnerable (medical reasons) and Mum is in a nursing home.

Now Dad is in hospital with Covid! (we wer only told about bro being ill after Dad's admission)..

This is a nightmare - Dad visited Mum on Sat.

This bro is so ignorant.. he shudda been tested!

Moral of the story - if in doubt - please get tested..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Hope your Dad recovers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Had 2 in the past fortnight. Once as a close contact with symptoms but was negative and again a week later as I had a cold, but the OHs mam is in a nursing home, and my own job outs me in contact with lots of older people so not worth it not getting it. Negative both times thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭User1998

Over 90% of adults are vaccinated. Me and everyone I care about is vaccinated. I’m not getting tested for a runny nose

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vaccines are starting to break down after a few months in some situations, we may all need to eventually get a third shot. it would make sense if a person showed signs such as loss of taste or smell, along with other symptoms, to simply get tested, just to be sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

At the very least, whatever about a full PCR test, if people have symptoms at all, they should get an over the counter antigen test.

bloody expensive here though compared to other european countries, 50c each in germany, probably subsidised

I probably still wouldn’t get tested. I’d just stay at home like I normally would with any other illness. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve went for a test three times in the past, but I’m recovered and vaccinated now, all of my friends/family are vaccinated. Everyone is vaccinated. Time to move on. If someone wanted to meet me for a coffee or whatever outdoors I’d have no problem doing so, as long as I felt up for it and they were okay with me having symptoms. Likewise I would have no problem with meeting someone who had symptoms as long as it was outdoors. Obviously in the past I would never have done this, but the situation is different now.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I agree, I had sore throat and head ache last week. Rang sick into work and went for test. I am fully vaccinated but I don't know everyone's circumstances that I work with. They might have family who are vulnerable or not vaccinated. I certainly work with one guy with very sick children who aren't vaxed yet. I am completely aware of the fact that a lot of others wouldn't have bothered...but that's my moral standard for myself. BTW I don't get paid while I'm out sick.

• Advertisement

..you should get paid, either from your employer, or from the state, we all need to behave like this for the foreseeable, but not everyone can take time off, unpaid

Vaccines are not "breaking down". The initial immune response in some more vulnerable people was such that natural waning over time left them more vulnerable to serious infection prior to immune system kicking in. The overall effectiveness against serious illness in the vast majority of the population remains way in excess of what best expectations were 12 months ago

so how come half of current hospital covid patients were fully vaccinated , and some health care staff are now becoming infected with covid? yes, this is indeed an extremely small percentage of the population, but the truth is, we simply dont know the true effectiveness of vaccines, there is a possibility many of us currently could be asymptomatic, i.e. yes, vaccines are currently working, but....

99% of those most vulnerable to hospitalisation are vaccinated yet they only make up half of hospital admissions. That's an incredibly successful vaccine.

Numbers below will include immuno-compromised individuals in all age groups who were never going to have a strong vaccine response. This is UK data, so the over 70's, the least likely to have a good immune response, and all vaccinated 6 months at this stage.It is still extremely effective

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hope he gets well soon.

Out of interest what was each of their vaccination status? I'm convinced I am going to get it myself but hope the vaccine reduced it's impact to little more than a mildish cold, we are not getting below 1000 a day anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I predict that we will be under 1,000 a day within in the next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My university employer agrees with you in terms of testing all faculty, staff, and students if one of them shows symptoms. The university pays for all tests. And there is no delay when getting tested.

If positive, you are quarantined for 10 days with pay. It should be noted that ALL faculty, staff, and students must and have been vaccinated without exceptions (no religious, med condition, or politics excuses accepted). Vaccinations are paid for and without delays. The mandate has worked with 100 percent now fully vaccinated. No guidance yet regarding boosters.

yes, again, vaccines have indeed been and continue to be, extremely effective, as your data shows, and as does irelands data also show, but the reality is, theres still deep unknowns with this thing. we still dont truly know how its going to cope with further mutations, this isnt over yet, and the fact we re heading into that time of year again.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Across the pond only a tiny few hospital admissions are by vaccination breakthroughs. The vast majority of hospital admissions and deaths today are by the unvaccinated.

Interestingly those states that voted for Trump in 2020 tend to have the lowest number of vaccinated today, and the highest hospital admissions, compared with most other non-Trump states. The Deep South and rural Midwest states are today at risk accordingly.

The fact that Trump as president refused to wear a mask for the first 4 months of Covid may have suggested to his followers to avoid mitigating strategies like testing, masking, distancing, and vaccines before and during rallies, fund raisers, and special Rose Garden events?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

wiping out his electorate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

True - NHS handing them out for free.

Cheapest available are probably LIDL.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Yeah, because primary schools aren't allowed to notify parents of a case, no contact tracing and lots of asymptomatic spreaders won't be identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

They can notify of a case. They just can’t say who it is surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

They're €7 in Apple Green garages

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The amount of ignorance and selfishness going around is unreal.

I see it every day. People won't tell if they have covid. They don't want to stay in and just don't care.

We had a covid case in the family. All tested.

I was negative but contact tracing said I was ok to go about my business as vaccinated and no symptoms. I thought this was nuts.

I stayed in as to go out and about while living with someone with covid is just not acceptable in my book.

Genuine question, if someone in your family had the cold or flu, and you had no symptoms, would you self isolate and take sick leave from work? Or would you go about your daily life as normal?

Everyone is vaccinated. Covid is of no threat to the vast majority of the population. Its time to stop hiding under our beds and get back to living like normal. Covid is going no where.

I will admit Im self employed and work from home (long before covid came about) so it made it alittle easier to stay in.

Cold or flue, no but covid still has the unknown about it and it does still hit some people badly even with vaccine.

I cancelled maybe 3 or 4 meetings during the period I decided to isolate. I could have had covid at any stage so if I had gone out and about, I would possibly have given it directly to 5 or 6 people at those meeting alone. It's a pretty sh1tty thing to do and people did that even before the vaccines came along just because they could.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

If asymptomatically infected, you have a <1% chance of passing SARS-CoV-2 on.... to people living and breathing in the same household as you.

Live your life.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Quite frankly, I don't believe that stat. If that is correct, there should be no fear whatsoever of asymptomatically infected people whereas in reality, the entire control measures were based around quarantining possibly exposed person's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

I mean I linked the systemic review and analysis that shows a 0.7% chance of an asymptomatic person spreading Covid to others in their household. Not much I can do if you have pre-existing bias against believing it now, is there?

There was another interesting study out of Cardiff uni, that found that people base their level of fear of covid on the restrictions implemented by their government, rather than on any assessment of the actual data around Covid. "They would never shut everything down if it wasn't super duper serious" sort of reasoning. The more likely people were to judge risk based on government action rather than data, the more likely they were to support lockdown and other mitigation measures.

Anyway. Up to you what you believe.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

Advertisement