Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How is your cat affecting your life?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Indeed. You don't want someone else to beat you to putting up a picture of their cat first.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭storker

I use an automatic feeder. He gets his meals at the assigned times and is pretty good not to annoy me when I’m eating.

Missing one hind leg and most of one original cornea.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

You do realise that even without a cat, you need to wash veg anyway because it will have had other animals (rats, mice, birds, foxes, rabbits) also doing their toilet businesses in the area? I can sympathise as I have both cats and veg beds but I've had to put chicken wire around the veg beds to keep them from digging in it. Have you tried a repellent like Defenders Cat Repellent?

Please don't trap it and release it miles away. For one thing, it will likely find it's way home again (or the neighbours just get another cat) and it's also very cruel to leave a creature that depends on humans for food and shelter to fend for itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Baybay

THP is an older gentleman, with dental issues. For years he only ate dry food & that was at will from a dispenser. He’s no longer able for “biscuits” & supervises the opening of all pouches to make sure they’re fresh enough for his very discerning palate! If it’s not finished in one go, he’ll act as though his dish is empty. This early rising lark is a relatively new development which makes me the automatic feeder!

And, snap!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭touts

My neighbour should look after his cat. I have asked him to control it and he says he can't. He shouldn't be surprised if it disappears. I can't leave my sprinkler on all-night for months in the hope of scaring off the cat.

I do wash the veg. But reaching in to pull veg and getting a handful of cat sh1t is not something I would wish on even my neighbour. I think cats can fend for themselves but if it makes you feel better I will look to drop the cat off at a shelter far away with the collar etc removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I have just one cat now since the previous one died earlier in the year and he's become incredibly possessive and clingy since becoming the only cat of the house. He definitely doesn't miss the other cat one bit, he's revelling in having all of the attention. He insists on breakfast at 4.30am every morning (it seems to be a pattern with cats to want breakfast at that time, my cousin in Australia has cats waking him at that hour too). He is probably too affectionate if anything, he has to be sitting on top of me or at least pinning an arm or leg down for him to be happy that I'm close by. He's an ex-feral cat so is out rambling all day, he's always waiting when I get home though and in for the night then, which is I suppose how he has survived for 14 years when an outdoor cat's life span is often half that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭blackbox

The scratches are healing up nicely now.

My guy is totally indoors only. Live in a first floor apartment, so no question of his getting out and he never asks to be outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I would appeal to people not to deliberately take animals away from their homes and abandon them where they will end up suffering a fairly **** death. A tame cat wont survive long in the wild - you cant really "safely trap" a cat. It would be seriously traumatised if you locked it in a cage.

If people did not domesticate the kittens that are born and spay them, you would have a far bigger problem with cats than you do now You should be appealing to people to take responsibility for their animals - not to avoid taking them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I've a stray that turned up at my place a few years ago and decided to stay, she is tame enough now but is an outdoor cat and a great rat catcher.

Problem is she attracts all the local toms who like pissing up against the side of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

If you done that to my cat, I'd go full John Wick on you and make sure you are never found

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

They say cats can't be trained, but I've taught mine to scratch the car of one neighbour to the left of me, and poop in the veg patch of the neighbour the other side of me.

Cats often know full well what they ought to be doing in your eyes, but they choose to do otherwise. Eg, mine has a giant panther-proportioned scratching post but he chooses to sharpen his clothes on the once-good armchair. He knows he will get my attention, and that is the purpose of his move.

Is that you James??? 😂

You won't be laughing when your cat disappears and ends up in a shelter in Sligo. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You need to get yourself when of those. I use it all the time for cat that loves his food and shakes the bed at silly o'clock to get his food and this machine has been a lifesaver.

Also sturdy lock on it so curious cats can't open it and access other meals like they can on some machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

A scratching pole. You must get this for an indoor cat otherwise your furniture is going to get badly clawed.

Some toys as well as indoor gets need entertainment.

Also another tip.Cats require water and many people put a water bowl beside their food bowl.

Cat will be fine with this but if you want them a little more at ease and happy then put the water in another part of the room not near their food.

This mimics their natural instinct as a wild cat will never drink water downstream of where it has caught and eaten food as it will contaminated so having water away from their food will replicate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I'm definitely going the re-homing route , pre wormed , used to a litter tray and vaccinated. What is a suitable ' donation ' ?

Past two days I have been fairly unwell and mostly lying on the sofa. It’s quite some effort to interact with Boards, let alone the poor cat. He has been pawing me with his scratchy claw all the time, and I was so irritated (& feeling very guilty about this€ that I had to retreat to bed.

Mine has been increasingly upset since I started an online coding course two months ago or so, which involves looking at screens and tapping out stuff. When I mainly looked at the TV, with ofd bit of social media stuff etc, he didn’t seem to mind at all, but he just doesn’t tolerate what I am doing these times, and I get a repeated hammering of a scratchy law on my hands or arms.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Me WFH suits her, i think.

She likes staying out at night, has her own shed. Comes in and spends the whole day asleep with me in my office, spends time with the family until dusk and then heads back out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Staunch dog person here, until we got a cat and I rid myself of that misconception that cats are cold or lack affection. This guy is hilarious and ridiculously smart. He has learned our routine and reads us like a book, it's fairly impressive. Our lad has become very needy lately too and at first I thought he was being greedy for food but it's actually an attention thing. I've had three dogs and while they've loved attention, they've never craved it as much as this lad. Makes me wonder what he gets from it and how connected he is to us.

The dogs are clearly a bit more clever but the cat tops the dogs intelligence in a unique way, almost an emotional intelligence?

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Spay her unless you want a sh1t ton of kittens. Irish people have been too lazy and stingy in years gone by hence tribes of inbred feral cats back then but I had thought that had changed, silly me.

Please don't let your cat roam at night. They kill a huge number of wild birds and they are a nightmare for your neighbours as they sh1t in their gardens. Be a responsible pet owner and keep your cat under control at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

She never has kittens so I'm not one of those lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

• Advertisement

My two new kittens are arriving on Thursday. Both girls. I am excited. I spent a small fortune in Maxizoo today.

Advertisement