Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conspiracy about the flat earth conspiracy - Thread bans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I explain why I believe it's not possible in my post.

Weird to drag this up after 3 years...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A €40 dinghy bought from Argos along with a €100 smart phone and set off from Dun Laoghaire in the morning and it will tell you the earth is round. Anyone doubting this should be institutionalised for their own good before they do harm to themselves.

Boards.ie needs a rejuvenation.

I'm happy to go on an expedition to prove that the earth is flat.

I'll even fund my own fare.

If any flat earther wants to prove their theory, count me in.

I'd be happy for someone to record it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I recommend "Behind the Curve" on Netflix, very interesting doc about flat-earthers, if it's all a pretence, then they are excellent actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Watched this. They are nuts. Also it showed that these people believe in loads of other conspiracy theories. It’s rare that conspiracy theorists believe in just the one

• Advertisement

This is another good video:

He doesn't so much analyse the claims, but more the movement itself and how it's basically bleeding believers to things like Q-anon and straight out nazism.

There's also a Youtuber, "Professor Dave explains" (a chemistry professor) who tackles them by refuting all their claims. They do not like the guy and produce lengthy counter-videos. It's entertaining stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The "scientists" on it are the best, inadvertently proving the earth is a globe over and over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Economics101

I don't think Biblical fundamentalism or literalism has had much to do with flat earth theories. However Galileo did get in a spot of bother over the idea that the earth orbits the sun, rather than the other way around. But before Galileo, Copernicus (a Catholic priest, BTW) did not have too much trouble for somewhat similar views. I think Galileo's problem was to propose his views in a rather dogmatic fashion, rather than a hypothesis to be assessed (which is rather ironic, coming from his prosecutors).

The modern movement is very much hand in hand with evangelical fundamentalism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

There is money to be made in the flat Earth society by the top guys - sell the merchandise etc..

I doubt they actually believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I joined an FB group called flat-earthers for Jesus, thinking it would be fun. Reader, it was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,538 ✭✭✭✭briany

There are a hardcore of flat earthers who are becoming so confident in their theory that they're talking about doing experiments that will empirically prove them correct. I think it was prominent flat-earther Mark Sargent who was talking about getting a team together to go find the giant ice wall at the edge of the flat earth which is held by current scientific consensus to really be the polar regions of the round earth.

At the end of the documentary, Behind the Curve, in which Sargent features, they actually do an experiment to try and prove their theory which consists of shooting a beam of light through a hole in two separate staffs, each standing a few miles apart. If their theory holds, the beam of light should be directly observable through the hole of the staff on the far end, proving the earth is flat and not curved. I don't think it's a huge spoiler to say the experiment proves problematic in getting the finding they wish to achieve, leading to great perplexity among the team.

The other experiment involved using a laser gyroscope to disprove the rotation of the earth,

One of the more jaw-dropping segments of the documentary comes when Bob Knodel, one of the hosts on a popular Flat Earth YouTube channel, walks viewers through an experiment involving a laser gyroscope. As the Earth rotates, the gyroscope appears to lean off-axis, staying in its original position as the Earth's curvature changes in relation. "What we found is, is when we turned on that gyroscope we found that we were picking up a drift. A 15 degree per hour drift," Knodel says, acknowledging that the gyroscope's behavior confirmed to exactly what you'd expect from a gyroscope on a rotating globe.

"Now, obviously we were taken aback by that. 'Wow, that's kind of a problem,'" Knodel says. "We obviously were not willing to accept that, and so we started looking for ways to disprove it was actually registering the motion of the Earth."

Despite further experimental refinements, Knodel's gyroscope consistently behaves as if the Earth is round. Yet Knodel's beliefs seem unchanged when discussing the experiment at a Flat Earth meetup in Denver. "We don't want to blow this, you know? When you've got $20,000 in this freaking gyro. If we dumped what we found right now, it would be bad. It would be bad. What I just told you was confidential," Knodel says to another Flat Earther in attendance.

Going back to Sargent, he's a good example of someone who has so much invested in the theory that it would be extremely difficult to walk away. The theory has given him notoriety and respect and employment, albeit within a small fringe community, and even a potential love interest with a woman also heavily involved in the movement.

But for people who are merely followers, I think it's really just a case of mental illness and/or a need to challenge the accepted realities about the world in which we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,685 ✭✭✭growleaves

He also presented it in the form of a comic dialogue which ridiculed the Pope of the time as a simpleton, annoying him and his supporters the Jesuits. Galileo had a lot of enemies among other scientists and they helped put the boot in too.

My favourite Galileo quote is when he said that a Barbary steed can outrun a hundred wagon-pulling horses (meaning that he was smarter than every other scientist and intellectual in Italy combined).

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

No need, Professor Des Walsh has already done this. He's got this covered and has brought back undeniable proof of flat earth, but is not allowed to share the information.

https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/today-fm/irish-scientist-set-to-prove-that-the-earth-is-flat

• Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

this guy? the article reads like it belongs on Waterford Whispers news

some highlights:

From Flat Earth theories to arguing women should only play sport in the summer months, Walsh has come in for a lot of criticism. He has also spouted views such as Australia does not exist, gravity is an illusion, cats are aliens and that there is a worryingly high rate of infidelity amongst penguins.

He reckons I can’t prove it even though I saw the edge of the earth with my own eyes in the South Pole. Sure my phone fell off the edge so I couldn’t take a picture. That’s how close I was. All these people selling globes are making money from lies

Then I was in ahead of the closing date on Saturday, May 4, and over the weekend I started to get worried about actually doing well and undermining the political system. So I tried to pull out but couldn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I watched Beneath the Curve over the weekend. It was equally hilarious (trying to faff off why their experiments proved the earth was a globe) and depressing at the same time (12 year old at the conference). Ultimately the conclusion I came to was that it was all about making money. The people pushing it in the states sell every kind of memorabilia, and non-refundable conference tickets. So the conspiracy is by those in positions of influence to garnish more and more money from foolish people who believe their lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

no they didnt invent it, the only thing the governments are guilty of is playing along with the notion that the earth is a spinning ball of rock rotating around another hotter ball of rock, spiralling through a vacuum, that people in Australia stand upside down and that if you dig deep enough you will come out at the other side with sky above your head

LOL

whats ludricous about it?

An infinite vacuum of space isnt ridiculous?

And they are not pictures, they are images, there is a big difference

the horizon concept of ships disappearing into it has been debunked, there is evidence to show that even after they disappear with the naked eye, they can be zoomed in with a good lens miles out when in the globular theory should be well below the curvature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,150 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't suppose you happen to know where one could find that evidence?

just because they "appear" to sink over the horizon, doesnt mean they actually do

Its a simple experiment you can do yourself.

Watch a ship disappear over the horizon and get a good zoom lens and zoom out. It will instantly come into view

If you live in Ireland can you see whats over the sky in Australia? Are your eyes that good?

If you stand at the Cork County Council building in Cork and look west along the N22, do you think you could see someone 4.5km away at the other end before the road bends?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,987 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

They are just the modern versions of those evangelists who said to their followers that God says they should pay for his new private jet, and they did.

There will always be thick people out there. There will always be easily led people out there. And social media has given a lot of nuts a platform to peddle their beliefs, whether they believe in them or not.

eg David Icke, all that "the royal family are lizards" crap. I have no doubt he doesn't believe that, but that and all the other nonsense he has said over the years has made him a very rich man.

Explain?

How is it that in the 400m they start at the beginning and after doing one lap they end up back at the same place?

Just cos you walk around the block and end up back in the same place, doesnt mean the block is globe

You will also find that your smart phone wont work out in the ocean

Who is being led here?

The people doing research and asking questions or the people who just believe what they are being told?

Its easier to just believe as it requires no logical thinking

I'd like to see you try it....

You wont get very far when you hit the Antartica, its off limits and they dont allow any exploration

Why is this?

Of course. Do you believe Earth is not a globe? If so, what do you believe exactly? That it's flat/disc?

• Advertisement

Sorry, not sure what point you're trying to make here by dragging up a months old post?

Are you seriously suggesting the earth is flat? Or are you just pretending to troll people?

You already believe some very wild things, so I don't think you now suddenly being a flat earther is going to have the effect you think it does.

No, when a ship goes over the horizon, zooming in doesn't make it come back. When it goes over the horizon it means that from your position, it has travelled far enough along the curve of the Earth to be blocked by the shape of the Earth.

Here is a simple and clear illustration for you:

You can also have fun and experiment with this yourself using a soccer ball and a ruler.

If the world is flat and the night sky is something that covers it, then all of the night sky would be visible from all points on the discworld.

When we look up at night, we see that there are stars from horizon to horizon and that these change over the course of the night. Similarly people in the southern hemisphere see this, but with stars that people in the northern hemisphere cannot and vice versa.

The distance between Ireland and Austrailia makes no difference here. Your statement makes no sense.

Could you perhaps explain how you believe this works in your view if you actually believe it are aren't just pretending to be a flat earther for some silly reason.

Advertisement