Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

eFootball PES 2022

• 24-06-2021 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Konami has quietly launched a demo for PES 2022.

The brilliantly-named 'New Football Game Online Performance Test' is available to download now on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and S. You don't need PlayStation Plus or Xbox Live Gold.

The demo kicked off at midnight just gone, and runs until midnight on 8th July.

It's really more to test online game performance and as IGN note (to temper any expectations):

The demo only allows online 1v1 games, with Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Juventus, and Barcelona making up the available teams. Having played a match, it's very much a rough version of the final product, with everything from some player shadows to commentary missing in the current build. It appears we'll see more of the upcoming game on July 21, with in-game advertising hoardings making clear there's an event to come.

It's a fairly bizarre launch, with Konami not publicly announcing, or even referencing, the demo online. However, those who play the New Football Game demo and fill out a survey about it will earn 25,000 GP (PES' virtual currency) for use in PES 2021 Season Update's MyClub mode.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭Liam2590

is the proper reveal for this still expected this week? haven't seen much buildup about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Yep, still due on Wednesday! Gameplay reveal I believe.

Graphics look insane

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1416462705318416385?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

There not the graphics. They’re fan made concepts using unreal engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 오이신

Enjoyed PES 2020. Did not purchase 2021, but might take a look into this latest edition if they can sort out the switching from player to player as I felt it was very sloppy on 2020. Might have gotten better since though, would not be sure. Coming from a FIFA player, PES is seriously pushing FIFA in terms of graphics and gameplay into becoming a better game.

• Advertisement

reveal should be tomorrow so we get a good look at it. Hopefully some master league improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Some efootball news ahead of later reveal (edit: think this is the reveal).

I just play offline leagues vs. AI so I hope that's not neglected in this.

https://www.ign.com/articles/efootball-pes-2022-free-to-play-renamed-release-date

yeah seems to be no mention of master league in the reveal, hopefully that is still going to be included

For me, this isn't looking good.

Moving to free to play (albeit with optional DLC) is risky and really threatens both their user base and revenue but worse than that, standardising the game across all platforms where the PS5 version will be the same as the Android version and the same as the IOS version sounds like a disaster.

the whole idea of not releasing a new game last year so that they could concentrate on this years game seemed like the right way to go but after seeing todays announcement I’m not so confident anymore. Difficult to see how much content will be there when this first launches

• Advertisement

“eFootball will launch with exhibition matches and seemingly a selection of 9 clubs to play with (see the roadmap below for the full list). It will subsequently sell other modes as optional DLC, seemingly allowing players to pay for what they want out of their game. No mention has yet been made of MyClub, PES' equivalent to FIFA Ultimate Team, or Master League, the series' long-running career mode – although it seems likely that the former will be represented by an unnamed 'Team Building Mode' coming after release.”

what’s the point in that? No ML, myClub or anything just 9 club exhibition mode? Basically a demo at launch. Don’t know how this’ll turn out in the end but seems like a disaster so far from Konami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

RIP PES

They can stick this shite up there arse anyway. Soon as I seen cross platform and free to play mentioned that's that. They clearly have no interested in advancing the actual game around gameplay etc and just want to make easy money now so there going down the Fortnite route basically. 

Jesus I'm gonna have to keep an eye on what Fifa is doing now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Re:FIFA

Spoiler : Not Good either :D

Note : **** this new boards. I just wanted to highlight I was replying to the FIFA part of the post.

It's dead on arrival to be honest. How after 2 years do you not have titles for your new game modes yet... How did they get to the announcement stage and not have a name picked. It is a staggering level of incompetence (but actually not that shocking with PES at the same time).

The real killer is the cross play with mobile though - They have long been looking at getting into the mobile space more (everyone has a phone and all that jazz). I just can't see how this will be a good football experience. People playing on their phones on mobile data plans sitting on moving buses etc... It will be a **** show

Post edited by IncognitoMan on

Awful awful stuff. It's a game clearly pivoting to focus on the Ultimate Team/myclub market. When they took a year off, I genuinely expected something good out of it but this pile of shïte is what's come out of two years of development. Phased releases of game modes and features along with trying to par next gen systems with mobile capabilities will kill it dead.

The sad thing is that FIFA may be the only option of a fully fledged football game now.

That "reveal" today should have revealed so much more if they're going down this route but instead it's whole selling point is being free to play.

Which, its really not. Its a free to play sample.

RIP PES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,224 ✭✭✭✭briany

The football video game scene is badly in need of a 3rd developer to come onto the scene and give the two main competitors a serious scare. F*ck the licenses. Good customisation ability and game mechanics, and a few decent modes, and you'd have the necessary ingredients. PES and FIFA are a duopoly at this stage.

Yeah a great choice back on the PS2 days, starved of it these days though.

PES had great potential with its edit mode, being able to create players, teams, leagues and being able to import photos they never really needed the licenses. Just needed to unlock the full potential of their edit mode, bring back stadium editor and the ability to add in teams/leagues beyond the fake ones provided. could easily add in the option to change scoreboards and what not too without it taking too much effort.

PES always had solid gameplay that just needed a few tweaks and adjustments but Konami really fumbled it here. But, they’ll make they’re money with this tied into the mobile game which is already very popular in the mobile market. It’s a kick in the teeth for us, but it’ll prob turn out a good decision for Konami.

At the end of the day this is basically a mobile game ported to console and treated like a mobile game, they’ll get what they want from it, we won’t.

Also think it is pretty funny just how close that new eFootball logo looks to the Euro Symbol. I suppose at least Konami is being up front about things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

RIP Pes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

As a offline master league only player, I guess I better buy 2021 cause I can't see there being anything for me in this!

• Advertisement

Apparently someone who works at KONAMI - the details seem fairly on point. The part about matching with Mobile is very interesting

Confirms there will be a master league at some point but doesn't think it is anytime soon and it is not being supported with resources.

-------------

Ok, I’ll jump right in and cover the main concerns I’ve seen on social media:

1. WTF IS UP WITH THIS CROSS PLAY SH*T?

Well, the lords at Konami realise that match making is a real issue. They want to improve matchmaking for 2 reasons.

1. They want more matches to take place and keep more players in MyClub in order to generate more revenue from the mode
    2. They want players to have a better experience and not wait 10 minutes for a match.

They’re very worried that this would be even longer on next-gen. Having cross play enabled means we (the players) will be matched with an opponent much quicker.

2. I HAVE A PS5, WILL I BE PLAYING A MOBILE GAME?

Yes and no.

So... if you play offline you will get the full next-gen experience on Xbox Series X & PS5. The visuals and animations are incredible, however they’re not as good as our next generation reveal last year (I bet you’re shocked right??).

Don’t get me wrong though, they’re far superior to the fox engine and also the Frostbite engine visual EA have demonstrated for Fifa 22. When cross play is released, you will also get the next gen experience if you do online cross play from PS5 to Xbox X and vice verse.

There will also be “regular” graphical patches for next-gen to further utilise the power of the unreal engine, however I don’t believe these will be free. We’ve not been given any further info on how this rollout will occur.

3. SO WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I PLAY A MOBILE USER?

Well, for online matches you will have an option to play “cross-gen” or not. If you select no, you will be warned that matchmaking could take longer than normal. If you select yes, you will be matched with someone using either next-gen, current-gen or mobile but you will also be warned that the game play will be “scaled to match your opponents device”.

Scaling is a huge word here. What it essentially means is that your game will be scaled to match the max potential of the user with the “worst” device. If you match a mobile user, you will essentially be playing a mobile game.

Restricted visuals & animation cycles. This is apparently quite noticeable however I’ve not had the opportunity to do this yet so I can comment personally.

4. WILL THERE BE A MASTER LEAGUE?

Yes, however it won’t be called master league. It’s getting re-branded and I’ll be honest, it’s not getting a lot of “resource” so don’t expect anything amazing if you’re a fan of the mode. Also, it’ll more than likely be January/February when it launches (no price clarification yet)

5. WILL THERE BE “BAL”?

I’m not sure, we’ve heard literally nothing in our department about it. It doesn’t mean it’s not there but as we’ve got a list of modes it’s worrying that it’s not on that list.

6. EDIT MODE????

Yea there is an edit mode, it’s virtually identical to the current one. No there is no stadium creator and as far as we’ve been told, there are no plans to implement one.

My final message is to just stick it out until our next reveal. From what I’ve been told, the backlash online has been noted and the next “drop” will clear a lot of things up.

Realistically, neither franchise would bring all the features into one game that players want. They probably could if they really wanted to, but it would leave them with nothing to offer for the next year. That's part of why a 3rd company entering the scene would be good because they would actually need to make a game that's geared towards players rather than a cynical way to milk people. That's what PES was when it first arrived on the scene and throughout the mid 2000s as it worked to cleave players away from FIFA.

going by that it's fairly disappointing to be waiting until next year for a master league option,

hopefully the next info drop in august will actually make things a bit clearer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Sounds pretty terrible, but par for the course with Konami. They also need to fix Online Divisions with the terrible scripting, ridiculously OP teams like Bayern full of supermen and god-like Ronaldo, it's a mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

No Master League in the base game has me out. I've been a PES player and fan since ISS Pro 98, but nothing about this game has me interested at all. Such a shame.

Looks like I'll be playing the 2021 update a while yet.

Thing that PES needs to fix that's hurt my enjoyment of 21 is that Superstar mode is more like a bit of a cheat mode for the CPU where they become lethal in front of goal, even if the CPU strikers are average. Basically, in Superstar mode if you let your man get turned in front of goal, you're probably f*cked, but not only that but it becomes very hard to get the ball off the CPU players and even if you have 4 or 5 players in front of the box, trying to block or apply pressure, the CPU's ball-shielding prowess becomes ridiculous.

OK, this could also be me being a bit crap at the game, but I've heard some people having similar complaints. I've dropped back down to Top Player for a while as the frustration of Superstar wasn't good for the blood pressure.

Looks like FIFA for me this year.

Have been playing PES since ISS on the SNES but it's clear that the towel has been thrown in on the actual game in favour of monetising myclub more. Such a shame.

Nah, it's not just you.

The scripting is atrocious and very obvious. I've dominated teams at higher difficulties peppering the goal and retaining the ball as best I can just for the opposition to score two goals from two shots with average strikers where they slow waltzed through my defence. Infuriating stuff.

unless konami have a major change of heart between now and the release I’d say I’ll be giving Fifa 22 a go this year or just stick with PES 2021 maybe

• Advertisement

PES 21 has impressive modding capabilities at least. Graphical overhauls, stadium packs, TV graphics, custom chants and commentary, gameplay tweaks to name a few. I don't really see much point in moving on from that iteration as things stand. I mean, there are still people who never moved on from pes 6, never mind 21.

Yeah, not everyone plays on PC...

There's a huge point in moving on on consoles where the majority of its user base is. Never mind the XBox community who've been thoroughly fudged over by Konami.

Console players can still get option files and things to keep player lists up to date and so forth. If console players would rather spend the money not to have to bother with installing an option file, that's their business, but it remains an option for anyone sufficiently annoyed with the direction of the series. There's no doubt that such people will always be a minority, but at least it's something for those people.

Well xbox players can't really get option files worth bothering with.

And on PlayStation, it updates the roster and kits sure but not graphics, stadium packs, custom chants and commentary.

If you think that people's problems are based on things that can be solved with option files, you're not paying attention. The complaints range from graphical downgrades, near-zero updates to Master League, dodgy AI, the game being released in drips and drabs.

PlayStation is also the games biggest user base so actually the majority, not the minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Acosta

I'm really put out about this news. I've been playing it since PES 2 and still play at least one game of master league most days when at a loose end. This really sucks.

How's FIFA these days? I got it about 6 years ago and thought the game play was dreadful.

was really looking forward to PES on PS5 but this news has really put an end to that, will probably give fifa 22 a go but like you said last time I played fifa I thought the gameplay was really poor

• Advertisement

It really doesn't look good. Visuals that wouldn't look out of place on a PS3 and animations that still somehow look clunky.

If that doesn't kill this franchise, this is what will. The majority of new features will not be available at launch, I shít you not.

From Eurogamer:

For example, the new control ball trapping feature is only available post-launch. "Loads of dribbles and body feints are also available with intuitive commands," Konami said. "These make every duel an exciting moment for both attacker and defender."

A new feature called "sharp kicks", which comes with new animations, also won't be available at launch.

"Shark kicks" are special kicks, such as sharp crosses and fast lofted passes, that take more time to execute (you have to charge them, it seems). In the video we see an example of this: a dipping shot from outside the area by Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford.

The PlayStation 5 version's use of the DualSense's haptic feedback and adaptive triggers also won't be available until a future post-launch update.

At launch, only local matches featuring the likes of Barcelona, Juventus, Bayern and Manchester United will be available, alongside cross-generation matchmaking (PS5 vs PS4, and Xbox Series X and S vs Xbox One). You'll be able to play against CPU teams via local match. 

Given that this game needs to come out of the gates screaming in order to attract and retain players on a free to play system, not having the majority of new features and 99% of the teams will destroy it.

Launches on 30th September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Acosta

I was going to take the plunge and chance FIFA, but I just watched a YouTube clip of a match. The gameplay looks horrendous. Maybe I'll chance a demo, but I can't see myself warming to it. It's a pity the fifa crowd seem more interested in player ratings than how the thing plays.

I might end up playing PES 21(which is really PES 20)for another year.

Have to say Im really enjoying FIFA 22 (playing with EA Access).

The fact that Konami aren't allowing anyone to show gameplay footage with it launching in a week whilst still pushing preorders hard is not a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Is PES 2021 worth getting for someone who has PES 2019?

• Advertisement

Well its dirt cheap at this stage so its not a huge investment but its a season update pack using PES 2020 base model which itself wasn't much of an upgrade.

The new eFootball is free to play so at this stage I'd see how that turns out and then decide.

The game has been released and is available now. Free to play from the PS Store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

Just kicked off the download through the PSN App , looking forward to this, I mainly play master league and didn't bother with last years offering. I wouldn't mind seeing some updates in ML such as the financials, it would be nice to start with a lower league team and be able to generate revenue through competitions rather than buying and selling players as the only revenue stream. I wonder how long before we can buy the additional games modes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Colemania

I haven't played if yet but it's been getting a horrible reaction.

Spoonypizzas currently doing a live stream playing it and is saying its a 0 out of 10 game and completely different to the game he played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Early reviews awful - Pleased with myself that I refused to download it.

Actually disgusting the pre-order stuff they had available for a game that isn’t even a full game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was just wondering about the gameplay. I heard it's faster and the passing is more realistic or something like that. I don't care about anything else, like the rosters etc..

So I'm wondering if the gameplay advances over 2019 are enough to make it worth getting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus...

Gave it a spin there.

I really wanted to be pleasantly surprised but my word, it's terrible.

Player responsiveness/lag was painful. In some instances it felt like a second before the player did what was commanded. The AI is infuriatingly stupid on both sides. Balls can come within two feet of players and they watch it go by them (or in one instance the opposition just ran past it when the easy intercept was there). In some instances the ball kept pinballing off players like Messi for no apparent reason. Graphics look very average but for a PS5 game, they look awful.

It looks and plays like a mobile game and the giveaway is the cursor under players when you have the ball - something always seen in mobile football games.

Still lots of jarring animations such as running to the corner flag with four players around you and then a quick cut to the full animation of the celebration and nobody is in sight apart from the player celebrating. Coming back for the second half with flickers to the last visual of the first half.

I'd swear that the commentary hasn't changed again.

RIP PES, this is dreadful. 3/10 stuff. Impossible to see what exactly took two yeas of work, what exactly were they working on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement