Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice regarding consumer rights claim vs Apple (on a MacBook Pro)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

I know there are a few administrative things to be handled, but I took the following to mean that I’ve won the claim:

Where there is no reply by the respondent, they are then held to have admitted the claim. The procedure is the same as if they had consented to judgement.

Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Exactly what I meant, have to wait a month, then pass it for collection and wait for them to actually get the money minus their commission and afaik they can still contest it (tho they probably wont)

Ah ok fair enough yeah… I don’t mind waiting tbh, once I know the case has been won. I didn’t see anything about a commission though? I know if you have to get the sheriff to enforce it (probably unlikely anyway for Apple), you have to pay a deposit which will be returned if successful… which it would be of course, as Apple aren’t going bankrupt anytime soon 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I would not be so presumptuous.

They served (most likely by post) on 30th, allowing for bank holiday, the 15 days could be argued to start on Tuesday 3rd and in addition, the file is unlikely to update over the weekend.

I wouldn't be counting chickens until Monday 23rd

But surely given that it isn’t working days, but rather calendar days, you can’t argue to exclude a bank holiday? Or exclude weekends? A calendar day legally includes BHs and weekends.

I also presume that “Days” column on the court website in that screenshot I posted is there specifically for this reason of tracking number of days since the document is served… otherwise I can’t see a point in it being there. It says 16 currently.

• Advertisement

And apple or anyone would quite rightly point out that the 15 days is from date it was served on them. If it was posted the 30th, then the absolute earliest proper service was given was Tuesday 3rd August. That would give them until next Wednesday and then allow for time to upload details, it could be Friday or next Monday before the information is updated.

And its not an automatic award. You then have to file an affidavit of the debt with the small claims court and they then put it down for judgement. So a few weeks yet for closure

You may be right, but, to be fair, the case portal said the claim was issued on 29th July and “served” on 30th July; as you can see in the screenshot I posted, the word served is specifically used on the July 30th entry. I cropped the entry before that with the issuance of the claim on July 29th.

Given that the small claim procedure says:

7. (1) If the respondent disputes the claim or wishes to make a counterclaim, he or she must complete, detach and return (by post or by hand or, where permitted, in electronic form in accordance with rule 15) the Notice of Dispute in the Form 53A.04 Schedule C to the Small Claims Registrar within 15 days after the service of the Notice of Claim and copy claim on him.

I would be surprised if they used the terminology “Served” on July 30th to mean something different to the “within 15 days after the service” in the procedure, and it says on that same portal that it has been 16 days since the initiating document was served to Apple.

I know it’s not over and done entirely… I don’t mind waiting, when I said “automatic win” I meant; we have passed the period of time in which they can dispute the claim (granted, they can appeal via a full district court case, but it is unlikely). I’m eager to see if anything updates tomorrow anyway! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I had an SCC application with a business and even though they didn't respond to the initial claim I still had to go to court and state my case to the judge. It was lucky that the judge sided with me and I got judgment.

Just be prepared to go to court unless Apple settles which they might.

I suspect the lack of update suggests Apple might have responded

No response from Apple as far as I can see / have heard, but no change on the online portal either way.

I tried calling the phone number of the registrar on Thursday; no answer. Left an email to their address… also no response yet. So I’ve heard absolutely nothing so far. The registrar said at the start of the week that if Apple hadn’t responded by Wed morning, they’d grant judgement in default. They also informed me that if they received a response, they would forward it to me. So the lack of an update is because I literally haven’t had any update on my end either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Any updates ? The tension is killing me 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

just give you an update on a similar case I had the court say 15 days but to be fair they give double when you get no response you get judgement in default you don't have to go to court just go a sign a document to state that apple didn't contact you then this gets sent to apple and they have 30 days to make payment as they haven't answered you will probably get the same that you wait and go back to the court office to get a decree you then take that to the county sheriff and pay €9.50 as its apple and they have lots of valuable assets they head to the head office and tell them to pay up the 2000 + 9.50 and they add costs apple would pay or they take stuff and 30 days later you get 2009.50

Finally heard back from the registrar… apparently she was on sick leave and took a while to get through the case list after coming back.

Unfortunately their solicitors supposedly replied just before the deadline and so the case will go directly to hearing, though I haven’t seen their reply so I would like to see the solicitors letter as I believe is my entitlement, so I’m going to ask for that.

Unfortunate… but it looks like we’ll have to go through the motions with this one :/

Thanks for the info and details on your experience. Unfortunately… it appears their solicitors did reply to my claim so it might be a while before this one sees a conclusion :(

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bmwfan

I went to the small claims court to watch the process and I would recommend you do the same

If you contact the office they will tell you when they sit in Dublin its once a month on a Monday, I went in one morning and they had a list on the door of all the cases a good few settled before

The judge calls out the list to see who had turned up and then goes through them one by one its good prep to go in so you know how the day goes and what gets asked

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

Is there any sort of a deadline now for settlement or proceed to the SCC for an actual hearing

They said the judge in Cork DC gave an order that companies with 3 or more claims against them in a 12 month period will have all claims go directly to trial without any arbitration by the registrar, so it will go to hearing (unless Apple offer a settlement privately I suppose?).

Such an order would be grossly unfair and easily challenged. I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

Basically saying that a company that sells hundreds of millions in Ireland is the same as a local shop if both have 3 complaints.

Doesn't matter if you're big or small - it's well advertised about Apple and this issue (among others)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I thought everyone was supposed to be equal in the eyes of the law?

• Advertisement

Here is proof of said direction.

I have received notice of hearing without any attempt to settle the dispute by the registrar or court. Hearing is set for late Oct.

I received a copy of Apple's dispute of the claim. They make reference to EU 2003 regulations throughout their dispute, rather than the Irish SOGA.

They mention that in the 2003 EU directive, the onus is on the consumer to provide proof that the defect existed at the time of manufacture once 6 months have passed. The SOGA has no such stipulation and takes precedence over the EU directive, I believe that is very clearly stated in said regulation (of course, I will have all of this information prepared more formally when it comes time for the hearing). SOGA makes reference to durability: 'as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances'. I think this is a good angle for me to argue down, as you expect a 'Pro' laptop costing over 3,000EUR, to last over 3.5 years without developing inherent faults with the components, especially when said laptops are supported in software updates for ~8 years typically.

They also had the cheek to mention in their dispute letter to the court that Apple, nor any Apple Authorised Service Provider, had 'the opportunity' to physically examine the device in order to identify whether the fault was a 'manufacturing defect', despite me asking them multiple times whether they would like me to send the device in or bring it to a service provider for inspection, while sending them many videos and images via email of the issue. When they refused to do anything for me in Executive Relations after waiting weeks for their response, I even asked the woman handling my case how they could judge that it was not a manufacturing fault without physically inspecting the device and she said it was deemed unnecessary. I'll be mentioning all of this to the judge in the hearing.

For being the largest company in the world with probably the most highly paid legal team on the planet, their knowledge of consumer rights laws have seemed extremely amateurish throughout this experience, to be perfectly honest. Constantly, they have given misinformation about and misunderstood Irish consumer rights.

Check out Louis Rossman on youtube - I'm pretty certain he has a video about your model with the exact same issue that flowed over from the previous models where they "admitted" there was an issue

Yep, that's the exact one, the flex cable tearing due to bad design. I will be bringing some pictures of this from YouTube, such as the one below, which shows the cable being stretched taught over a 90 degree bend around some sharp circuit boards beneath, causing a tear, which is not replaceable as Apple decided to directly solder the cable to the screen, making it unreplaceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

In relation to your statement there about the burden to prove the fault transferring to the buyer after 6 months, are you sure of your position? This link seems to state otherwise.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/repairs_replacements_and_refunds.html

@rm212

Be very careful making assumptions. You have very little/no experience in consumer law. You can just read a coupe of lines and think you know it all.

You seem to think this is your crusade, but if you make assumptions you will lose.

Showing a you tube picture does not prove any case as you have not shown that your system suffers the same fault. You need to get an independent report to show what your fault is and THEN you can reference you tube if it is the identical fault. But to just say "judge, I found this on your tube, so that is proof" will be laughed at.

and yes it is up to the consumer to prove the fault is inherent in the product and caused by manufacture issue rather than wear/tear or mis-use once 6 months has passed.

The SOGA is many many pages long and reference previous versions and paragraphs in conjunction with other paragraphs and its all interlinked. I've read it several times over the years and still do not understand all the intricacies. So I'd tone down the excitement and get professional opinion and do not second guess based on a paragraph on a website

To me that solution makes the most sense, least hassle for OP and quite likely a satisfactory outcome,

I think you’re being a little bit over aggressive with your accusations and assumptions against me here, but I’m not an idiot nor am I going to speak like that in front of the judge.

Yes, the SOGA is very long and complex, but nowhere in it can I see a reference to the onus shifting to the buyer to prove there is an inherent manufacturing fault after 6 months. I have read quite a bit of the act’s text and see no reference to any 6 month period. In fact, there isn’t even a reference to a need to prove the device had an inherent fault. The act speaks about merchantable quality and an expectation of durability with respect to the price and description of the goods. This will be my main line of argument if Apple even show up; the reasonable expectation of the durability of the product given the price, as the act itself references:

”Goods are of merchantable quality if they are as fit for the purpose or purposes for which goods of that kind are commonly bought and as durable as it is reasonable to expect having regard to any description applied to them, the price (if relevant) and all the other relevant circumstances, and any reference in this Act to unmerchantable goods shall be construed accordingly.”

This 6 month provision appears to come from the EU regulation which was adopted in 2003, which I have also read, and it very clearly states that it does not override any part of the SOGA, and is a supplement to it, where the consumer chooses to use it:

In a case where the level of protection for the consumer afforded by a particular provision of any other enactment is greater than that afforded by a particular provision of these Regulations, or to the extent that the invocation of a latter such provision by the consumer would diminish the first-mentioned level of protection for him or her —

(a)        the consumer may opt to invoke the particular provision of that other enactment to the exclusion of the other provision of these Regulations and

(b)        that other provision of these Regulations may be invoked, and shall be construed and operate so as to be capable of being invoked, by the consumer in a manner that does not diminish the first-mentioned level of protection for him or her,

If I am missing something from the SOGA which enforces this 6 month onus criteria, I would greatly appreciate if you could point that out for me, rather than making assumptions about me and suggesting I’m going to act like an unprepared clown in front of the judge.

I have done quite a bit of research into this, and will continue to do my due diligence prior to the hearing, however, people bringing claims to the SCC are not expected to be qualified barristers with deep knowledge of the law; it is a court for the average person to attempt to get compensation against companies not obeying their consumer right obligations. I am not under any illusion that this is my crusade, I’m solely taking this case on principle after Apple has not looked after a device which has been rendered unusable far too soon, due to their own design issue. If I lose, so be it, the money is not the end of the world to me, I just want to take action and try my best here to satisfy my principles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,070 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

https://www.eccireland.ie/ecc-ireland-issues-advisory-on-consumer-warranties-and-statutory-rights/

• If a fault arises within six months of purchase, it is presumed to have existed at the time of purchase. For this reason, the consumer should not have to provide proof of the defect.
    • If the fault arises more than six months after purchase, the seller may request that the consumer prove the fault did not arise as a result of misuse – for instance, by obtaining a report from an independent expert.

• Advertisement

I do see this 6 month period mentioned in multiple places, but it is confusing me as I don’t see it mentioned anywhere in the actual Irish SOGA from my reading so far, only in the EU directive from 2003.

I will continue to read the SOGA and see if I can find the actual passage from legislation that this info comes from, maybe it’s hidden in some amendment or addendum which I haven’t encountered yet. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement