Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 15:Russian Grand Prix 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,362 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

George Russell has started the rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Hmm maybe I was wrong based on how Russells Williams was snapping on the power with slicks.

Fun 5 minutes in store!

And there we go. Hamilton slaps the wall in the pit lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hamilton does a Räikkönen

Lando norris with a brilliant lap to go P1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Great quali session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ricimaki

McLaren, Ferrari, Williams.

1, 2, 3.

Remind me what decade we're in

The thoughts of Norris, Russell and Verstappen over the next few years if the new rules keep the teams close are pretty great.

Mclaren P1 and P5 after a double podium at the last race. It’s great to see McLaren back to winning ways and being back to winning ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Well that was great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Enjoyed that, good results for the viewer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,391 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Should be good grid for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

are the merc pit crew allowed work on Bottas car outside the pit box?

hamilton hits the wall in pit lane and toto says there was no mistake .......

very different story when bottas was 3 inches out of position in monaco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,277 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Good grid for tomorrow! Hamilton crashed into the pit wall and sounded flustered on the radio, is the pressure getting to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sure he has a sore neck

There were 2 mercedes mistakes , Lewis's hitting the wall , and the pit wall left it very late calling them both in late. Everyone else was already on slicks .

But these errors are to our advantage

Be some laugh if it rains tomorrow and they've all burned up their inters. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Wow wow wow! I'm starting to be a Russell fanboy. He should be in the Mercedes this year, what a qualifying performance again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,662 ✭✭✭quokula

There’s barely been a race all year he hasn’t messed up in some way. This, putting it in the wall at Imola, hitting Verstappen twice, throwing away victory by going off at Baku, being beaten by an Alpine and and Aston Martin after Bottas eliminated all the competition in Hungary, ending up well behind at Monza through two poor starts despite having by far the fastest car, the list goes on.

He’s always been terrible under pressure, we saw the same when Rosberg beat him the last time he had to race anyone without a massive equipment advantage, and we saw it with the many collisions and mistakes back in his McLaren days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,890 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Don't forget nearly running over the jack man because yet again he forgot to turn off the magic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't think it applies in a wet quali. There can be so much variation in times as conditions dry or get wetter, that they don't use the 107% time. Could be wrong about that but I think it's fine.

It was cheeky to not even bother setting a time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Love a good session like that. Had that been dry, it was a Merc 1-2 for sure, a bit of rain, lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,876 ✭✭✭✭klose

A good shake up going into tomorrow, the starts will be fascinating, Hamilton already P4 and he hasn't set the world alight this year getting off the grid, ricciardo in P5 already done him off the start last time in monza. Looking forward to tomororw now, action at the front middle and rear of the grid so should be plenty of overtaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I do love how things have been mixed up this season, as the season has rolled on Hamilton seems to be getting more and more flustered. Looking forward to tomorrows race which I don't normally say about Sochi. Expecting Max to absolutely charge through the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Well, he is at the stage of a racing drivers career when mistakes begin to creep in. He should win handily enough tomorrow regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i hope he saved up one more mistake for tommorrow.

he made 3 mistakes this weekend already. hitting the pit crew, hitting the pit wall and spinning on the last qualli lap and rolling into the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭weisses

That rule doesn't apply if there is a wet qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He was obviously honing in his aim for the race tomorrow, the wall was Verstappen - also they managed to practice the wing change and screwing up Bottas too.

Toto will have been delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,685 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

So is it a free tyre choice for the race seeing as they were on inters for the Q2 session?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What a setup for tomorrow's race. I was thinking a sure it will just be Bottas or Hamilton on pole again put no Hamilton seems to be having a crappy weekend and Bottas I do not know where he was at. I really did not see what was coming do but delighted for both Carlos Seinz, Lando Norris on pole and even George Russell in 3rd wow.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,306 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I disagree. I thought it was rather boring untill Q3.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Russell nudging Lewis off the track in T2 would be awesome. Or else Danny Ric getting a flyer off the line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

If anyone goes off at turn 2 they have that awkward bollard they need to go around, the one that caught Sainz out last year

Wouldn't be surprised if a couple people get squeezed out there and then have to deal with that

Russell will probably be another yes man next season and probably as long as Hamilton is there. I'd agree with a Hamilton win and Norris getting a podium while Sainz and Russell down the field. Might be a bit of an ask for Verstappen to get a podium tomorrow but I'm sure he'll be in "send it" mode and give it a good shot

Accuweather predicting some rain in sochi today. Its not exactly the grippiest track on the calendar either. Even light rain could make it interesting.

Bottas is taking an Engine penalty , and will start 17th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Did he not take one two weeks ago? Must have had an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭lolie

Hmm, roadblock for Verstappen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

Interesting , a moving road block in front of Max for the race today with Bottas taking the penalty.

Could be quite obvious, but how do they work out who starts at the back with a few taking penalties?

Bottas is quick in Russia , maybe some bit of a road block but his starts have been poor.

Actually thought Mercedes would go with the Lewis penalty here but I suppose they want to keep the 2 of them (Lewis, Max )as far away from each other for the weekend. If its Dry , Mercedes were a margin a head of everyone , so It should be Hamilton's to lose , He may be very cautious about it , Just needs a clean start. Lando Podium , top step is hard to see just yet ,but maybe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Bottas just took a new engine in the last race. No way he'd be taking one here if Max wasn't starting P20. He can't be happy about it either.

McLaren are in a good position if they can survive the first corner -- a couple of slower cars between Norris and Hamilton, and Riccciardo right behind Hamilton to prevent the undercut.

3rd is bizarrely considered the best place to start here given the slipstream into turn 1, but Russell always seems to have poor starts so not sure I see him gaining places.

The start has the potential to be a great one. Lewis will obviously be looking ahead, but he has got Ricciardo and Alonso behind him which makes it all very interesting.

"tactical" engine swap for Bottas, we're Merc expecting Verstappen to catch Hamilton and use Bottas as a roadblock of sorts

• Advertisement

Max is last regardless as he has engine and Race penalties , The rest was decided on Qual , Latifi took a engine penalty as well be but he was ahead of Leclerc in Q2 so starts in front of him , and Bottas was ahead of both in Qual so starts ahead of them .

Ahh, I totally forgot about the race penalty for Max. It all makes sense now - except for the actual en gine change for Bottas - will be interesting to hear what has happened to it.

Nothing Happened Bottas' engine , he was down one( or at least parts ) from when his replacement took him out earlier this year........that was this year right .

Apparently he would need extra parts in the pool to make to the end of the season , so taking now helps team and him ...but mainly team :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don’t think Russel is a “yes man”. I think he will challenge Hamilton. We will see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭flazio

He would if he had the equipment. However the Williams is not the equipment. Ferrari are an odd one. You never know race to race which version is showing up on any given weekend could be competitive, could be a dog.

• Advertisement
Advertisement