Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outboard maintenance course

Options
  • 16-09-2021 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hello there. I was wondering if there are courses available for the maintenance of outboards ? I have a couple of engines there that have been lying up for a few years and would like to recondition them. Nothing bigger than 50hp. Freshwater use only. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Your best bet is probably YouTube every engine and problem is bound to be on it, you can also ask here and we will try to help you along. "Irish sailing and training" did do a one day course that might be worth checking out but I'd say they are just basic maintenance and wont help with some of the problems you come across. First thing I do with old engines is check compression you are looking for no more than 10% between each cylinder if it's not it could mean a total engine rebuild, next is spark, new fuel carburettor rebuild and an impeller change the impeller is a rubber wheel that pumps the water around the engine and if an engine has been sitting for a while they can break up and clog the engine causing it to overheat. So if you have good compression, good spark, good fuel and good air flow you should have a good runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Ringsend Technical Institute have in the past offered a marine engine maintenance course over about six weeks. It covered outboards and marine diesel engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It is a nuisance to get on courses these days. It took me feckin ages last year to get my short range radio cert. Between covids and lockdowns a lot of places just cant get the numbers to make the course worth running. If you really want to do a course like that I'd suggest to go abroad for it

Tryed to Do a course myself but these courses tend to be done around costal locations .you would want to be living close to the sea areas .I could be wrong but that was my experience of it...but it's true there are some great YouTube videos that would get your engines running....that's where I would start and have Abit of fun repairing them

Advertisement