Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast Marathon 19/09/2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yep, I can't understand it either.

What are people doing for number collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

I don't understand it either just post out the packs. They said on their email they are organising a pick up collection on the Saturday details tbc.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

yeah i think post would be ideal for many. maybe they need they need to have it in person to get funds from sponsors. im just happy its going ahead so ill just work around whatever plan they come up with.

already changed holidays with work n moved some other bits with the date change from sept to oct so might as well commit to another night in belfast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭longrunn

I was up in Belfast recently and parked my car for a few days in Lanyon Place car park which is not too far from Ormeau Park. It can be pre-booked, reasonable enough for overnight parking, and has security at the entrance. I wouldn't be too comfortable parking my southern reg on a street in East Belfast tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yeah, that was my concern too, not worth the worry when i've a marathon to do, will leave in a overnight carpark so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Collecting mine on the Saturday in Ormeau park where we are staying near for a couple of nights, dont fancy a long drive immediately before or after the race, so heading up on Saturday and coming back on Monday.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

I emailed them this morning to book one of the collection point slots as I can't collect the day before the race but they're all booked out.

Long shot but if anyone is collecting on the 11th or 18th of September and was willing to collect mine and post it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Willing to pay for postage and the price of a few pints for your trouble, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Will they hand over a race number to someone randomly?

The girl who emailed me back said a friend could collect it in my place. To get your number at one of the collection points originally it said on the email 'One person can collect multiple packs but must provide order numbers at the time of booking' so I assume once the person collecting has my order number and name, it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

Collection on the Saturday 10-4pm is quite short time frame for people travelling a long distance!Why they didn't post them out is beyond me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭cullenswood

If anyone is looking for an entry for this PM me and I will look to get it transferred. Unfortunately injury has ruled me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

PM sent.

Looking for an entry in case anyone has one. Checked with organizers, transfers are permitted.

Post edited by The man in red and black on

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

😤 😤

Hi Mo.

I don't think I'll be able to run this so my entry is available if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

Hi Rega - thanks, DM sent

thanks

Mo

• Advertisement

Anyone have a Strava or Garmin link for the course?, it was changed in 2019 I think, can only find older ones.

This week is my training highest mileage week, going well so far, 21/22 miler this Saturday, then tapering time thank feck. Hopes are high that I'll actually make it to the starting line this time for my first marathon, very excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Have an entry going if anyone is looking

Got sorted thanks, lots of demand thought, surely someone will take you up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jimmy1672

I also have an entry I'm not going to use if anyone is looking for one. You can transfer entries so you will be able to run under your own name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Driving up the morning of the race, can someone let me know where would be best to park close to the start line. Is there free parking around the start line? Not clear from the site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

i see there is a lateral flow test included in the race pack. i assume this is just for the individual as an added protection measure but the results dont have to be recorded anywhere before the event?

Ormeau park looks pretty big, does anyone know if the race packs are to be picked up at the Ozone/finish area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭sk8board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

I created a Strava course for the route, it might not be 100% accurate but it's close enough. I just wanted to see the elevations really...

Thats fantastic loinnsigh, thanks so much!

Miles 16 to 18.5 look like ones to keep a little extra in the tank, good to know.

Don’t know why the elevation doesn’t show in the Strava app, but it shows when I opt to open that link in a safari tab instead.

yep, there’s a 2.5m pretty solid climb at 16m, about 50m elevation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

So basically stay strong and slow to 30k and then run as hard as you can for the last 12.2k.

a classic 10k race with a 20m warm up :)

btw, I mapped the course on garmin and it came to 263m elevation gain, versus strava’s 172m. Largely an identical elevation profile, albeit garmin has far more granularity/noise/micro hills. I’ve always found garmin measured less In reality as a result, so hopefully Strava is closer to the mark!

Just wondering about the logistics on the day. Not familiar with Belfast city at all. I'm staying near the City Hall so I was going to get the shuttle bus from City Hall to the start. It seems very early though, from 7-8am? Will mean a long time standing around at the start. Would a taxi get any way close to the start line if I got one? I saw on the website a mention of showers afterwards at a tennis club, was that from two years ago or are there going to be showers there this year do people think?

On a different note getting full taper-maranoia now. Every little ache/pain in my legs is a potentially race cancelling disaster for a few mins till I settle down :)

Tell me about it, my son was complaining of a headache and sore tummy yesterday which brought full on panic mode by me that we were all going to come down with something this week. Of course he's grand this morning :)

• Advertisement

Did ye get an email from Belfast Marathon or just Eventmaster?

All from Eventmaster, also subscribed to the Twitter feed as well.

Forecast is looking cool and clear, but windy throughout.

The ambient temp is 5c, so a start line throwaway layer is probably in order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I hear Belfast have outdone themselves again.

Disaster of a number collection. Tomorrow should be some craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Friends spent 4 hours there

Felt sorry for the volunteers, talk about farcical, why they didn't just mail out the numbers and have the goodies at the end i'll never understand. All pretence of covid safety measures went out the window in the crush at that tent. Three hours on my feet shivering in line, not exactly great prep for tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The organisation of that number collection was an absolute farce. Made all the worse by being so unneccessary.

I was 3 hours in line, I got my bag just before 4pm and as I was walking out the queue was longer than it had been when I first joined it at just after 1pm.

Looking through A3 pages to find peoples names so they can go to another table for them to shuffle through the numbers, what **** decade are they living in?

If I wake up tomorrow with a headcold from shivering outside for 3 hours I am going to be **** raging. Just what were they going to do if had been raining?

Avoiding the bag drop tomorrow anyway, feck that.

• Advertisement

Also, I was collecting at about half 4 and they were still figuring certain things out. A lad ahead of me collected 10 entries.

Why in god's name did they not give out our actual race number before the collection?

God bless every volunteer but I've seen better organisation at a small club run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭LastFridayNight

What an absolute disgrace. Belfast should be ashamed of itself letting these muppets run a road race there. I’ve raced all the world for two decades and I have never seen the incompetence of these Belfast marathon organisers. I am racing tomorrow with no number after wasting two hours in a queue that barely moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Bgiraffe

What a bizarre situation. Joined queue at 1pm, got race pack at 4.10pm. Missed a booked trip to Titanic Museum. Not a single apology. An embarrassing sham. Needed perhaps triple or quadruple the number of tents and pack distributors today. Or just post the feckin things! Blessed that it was dry (tho it rained on people earlier in day). Also blessed there wasn't raging rows, mood around me was surprisingly upbeat despite everything.

Eventually left the place cold and stiff. Don't even start on Covid measures. Bizarre levels of stupidity. No way I'm doing gear drop tomorrow.

I saw 2 girls get close to the end of the giant queue only to realize that the Team Relay queue was far smaller and over to the right.

Granted, they should have known earlier but there was barely a peep from the organisers that the giant queue was marathon only. No signs, no consistent volunteers helping outside of the tent, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Was chatting to a few who have headed up from the club and it sounded a disaster. Also can't see a tracker available unless I am missing something.

Good luck to all running today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭healy1835

Mick Clohisey with the win and another national title in 2:20:42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I would say there will be some stories to tell after this whole event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Jesus Christ. It really is the Fawlty Towers of marathons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

The Nordies have to get their KFC in before super Sunday starts.

Marathon went well for me, undulating course but no complaints, support along the way was great. One unplanned toilet break and two bonk related walking breaks in the last mile (sheer stubbornness kept me going last three miles), finished in 3:51, will take that for my first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There is plenty I could say about Belfast marathon, very little of it good, but around 38k I passed a lad getting CPR which put things into a little perspective. I'll just say that Dublin has us spoiled and leave it at that.

I didn't get a PB but got a sub 4 and I'm happy enough with that. It will certainly be both the quickest and the slowest that I ever do Belfast Marathon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement