Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast Marathon 19/09/2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

People need to calm down a bit on the social media side. Saying they will contact councilors and MLAs to object and get it moved. Its a bloody marathon, not life or death.

There will be plenty of others to do next year

Majority of ones moaning have never organized a thing in their lives yet love to criticise others

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

The whole month of September is blocked with concerts in Ormeau Park and thats the issue that caused the problem. It will not be moved or re instated to September, end of.

On the numbers issue. They have capped it at 4800 individuals and 1500 teams so it means there will be at most 5000 actual runners at the start as the others in the relay teams will be out round the course. Im allowing here for a good few no shows to get the 5000 figure.

There is no Half Marathon on the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭sk8board

In 2019 there were 3,750 FM, 4,500 HM and 2,250 relay teams, 17,000 runners in total, so this year is going to be a max of 10-11,000 using avg of 4 per relay

• Registered Users Posts: 16,001 ✭✭✭✭event

I hate relays in marathons. If you want to do a 10k, do a 10k. Don't do it in the middle of a marathon.

My first ever marathon was limerick in 2013 and it was very disheartening to be struggling at mile 21 onward only to be passed by someone who had just started their 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

The whole month of September is blocked with concerts in Ormeau Park and thats the issue that caused the problem. It will not be moved or re instated to September, end of.

On the numbers issue. They have capped it at 4800 individuals and 1500 teams so it means there will be at most 5000 actual runners at the start as the others in the relay teams will be out round the course. Im allowing here for a good few no shows to get the 5000 figure.

There is no Half Marathon on the same day.

Thanks not familiar with Belfast so didnt know what was on in sept that got the go ahead instead.

Yeah thinking there is any possibility getting it moved back to original date would is a bit nuts

• Advertisement

sk8board wrote: »
    In 2019 there were 3,750 FM, 4,500 HM and 2,250 relay teams, 17,000 runners in total, so this year is going to be a max of 10-11,000 using avg of 4 per relay

Most relay teams do the full 5 members but this year will be 1500 teams, 4800 full marathon but most of those are deferrals lots of whom will not run for various reasons. The Half Marathon is never on the same day as the full marathon. usually the Half would have been in Sept and the Full in May but they swopped this year because of Covid and the Half was virtual.

Latest word is that the limit will be reviewed on July 1st for possible lifting on July 5th.

Speaking to the Office today and they have released more places but about 150 are left now.

Sounds like a sell out, which is great for them. Roughly how many people does that put at the starting line, around 4-5k FM and 1,500 relays runners?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Still some places left on the website....

If they sell out at about 5500 and 1500 relay teams then allow for about 20% no shows since there are so many deferrals from last year. About 5500 at the start line in Stormont. Its a good wide area with lots of space for distancing, no buildings near and loads of space at the sides of the road.

• Advertisement

i see they are doing some pop up locations in september to collect the race packs as an option for people.

What is the general plan for race packs anyway, i imagine its posting to everyone as opposed an expose event? i must have seen this before but can't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dgvs

When I signed for the marathon - it was mentioned that race pack will be posted. Now they changed it to collection only. I'm not going to spend money on AirB&B......

I was surprised to see that email today too. I happened to book a hotel with a few others, so I can probably get it the day before - they haven't annouced the details for that day yet.

It also looks like you can't just turn up and collect your pack at a collection point, you need to have pre-reserved it so they'll have it at that place.

Posting them just makes so much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭S'

Is there a Strava link available for this years route?

11.2kWp E/W split arra. Mayo

like collection only on the day before at a specific location?

I really cant remember what it said originally

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mogrump

If anyone has a spare entry then I would be interested.. booked accommodation Thursday and when I went to register it was sold out! 🙈

Thanks

Mo

Seen an update - collection point the day before in ormeau park for anyone who can't attend the locations next month. Why is posting a non-runner, depending on other services and too many oppurtunities for things to go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Whats parking like in the Ormeau Park area?,I'm staying in Templemore Avenue during marathon weekend, is street parking overnight safe with a southern reg car?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,161 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm genuinely baffled as to why the entries aren't just being posted out, I just don't get it, it really seems like a no brainer.

I had heard bad reports in the past about the organisation of the Belfast marathon, I hope this isn't symptomatic of that and a forerunner of things to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Yep, I can't understand it either.

What are people doing for number collection?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

I don't understand it either just post out the packs. They said on their email they are organising a pick up collection on the Saturday details tbc.

yeah i think post would be ideal for many. maybe they need they need to have it in person to get funds from sponsors. im just happy its going ahead so ill just work around whatever plan they come up with.

already changed holidays with work n moved some other bits with the date change from sept to oct so might as well commit to another night in belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭longrunn

I was up in Belfast recently and parked my car for a few days in Lanyon Place car park which is not too far from Ormeau Park. It can be pre-booked, reasonable enough for overnight parking, and has security at the entrance. I wouldn't be too comfortable parking my southern reg on a street in East Belfast tbh.

Yeah, that was my concern too, not worth the worry when i've a marathon to do, will leave in a overnight carpark so.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Collecting mine on the Saturday in Ormeau park where we are staying near for a couple of nights, dont fancy a long drive immediately before or after the race, so heading up on Saturday and coming back on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I emailed them this morning to book one of the collection point slots as I can't collect the day before the race but they're all booked out.

Long shot but if anyone is collecting on the 11th or 18th of September and was willing to collect mine and post it to me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Willing to pay for postage and the price of a few pints for your trouble, of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Will they hand over a race number to someone randomly?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

The girl who emailed me back said a friend could collect it in my place. To get your number at one of the collection points originally it said on the email 'One person can collect multiple packs but must provide order numbers at the time of booking' so I assume once the person collecting has my order number and name, it should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 limlad2018

Collection on the Saturday 10-4pm is quite short time frame for people travelling a long distance!Why they didn't post them out is beyond me!

Advertisement