Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I don't feel like I have the energy/will to start again but I weighed myself this morning and Ive gone from 88 a few weeks back to 90.8kg. My warning weight was meant to be 84kg.

Went to the gym and was pretty down from the weight, tough to motivate myself. Did 4 sets of incline press, and fly, Ski erg for only 1km and them assault bike for 10 mins doing HIT. Had the physio after on my shoulder.

Got the okay to do a minutes skipping on my foot to see if the bone is set and not aching.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

@Jude13 don't be too hard on yourself, to be fair it sounds like you're up to your eyes with work these days & as I've said many many times when under stress like that you need to concentrate on the here & now & just get through it as best you can. Your mental health is just as important as your physical.

Its very easy when under a heavy workload to look at the eating & exercising going south quickly, but it wont stay like that, you'll recover from the injury & get back to training regularly and once started will start to feel better. I've been that person who hasn't been training regularly, eating the wrong foods at the wrong times etc. and allowing myself to get into a funk of sorts, but it passes, (usually when you get through a bad spell in work or suchlike) yours will too.

Listen, I feel your frustration, I was the same after getting back to my fittest since retiring from competitive sport only to slowly allow that to drift & my weight to sneak upwards, and if an old creak like me can get back into a decent place someone with your background & history of achievement will definitely do it too. Try to stay positive, & remember, you're not alone, we've all been there (& will be again, of that I'm sure) so look after yourself & remember we're always here to help, even if its just waffling to one another on a christmas forum!!! 😉

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Patsy167

MyFitnessPal - 3 months free with code MFPHEALTHY2020

It gives 3 months free access to the premium version normally priced at 7.99/mo.

It's set to renew automatically after 3 months but the auto renewal can be deactivated from the premium tab on the website.

"Hurry and get FREE 3 Months of MyFitnessPal Premium!MyFitnessPal says Premium members are 65% more likely to reach their weight loss goal so why not give it a try with this free 3 month trial. This normally costs $9.99 a month. A Premium subscription adds more extensive options to MyFitnessPal’s feature set, increasing customizability and flexibility. Includes meal plans and recipes, goals, with zero ads."

Perfect timing, the 3 months will expire just before the Christmas celebrations begin!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I know what that is like. I've gone from my lowest of 77kg (after a bad stomach bug) mid summer back up to 83kg. I can see it in the mirror and feel it in my clothes. I usually don't hit this weight or a bit more till around New Years so will have to be careful from now on.

Been hit with work, family stuff and now have youngest home due to Covid case in childcare. With a weekend away coming up and birthdays, anniversaries etc will lots of temptation and little time to work it off.

All we can do is the best we can, keep things in perspective and as DvB said mental health is as important physical.

Cheers for the motivation, its depressing stuff. I was 77kg last Christmas, which was too low. It killed me, killed me to get to that from 95kg.

Best weight should be 80-82kg with my panic to start at 84kg. Since last Christmas I have let myself steadily go. When I was 88kg a few weeks back I was astounded. Now I'm 90+ and none of flipping suits fit, its depressing. I know how hard it is to get to lose 1kg a week, and I want to lose 8kg.

In the past with a strict 1,200 cals a day, three massive gym sessions a week, 2-3 10kms runs a week, no booze and 12k steps a day is what it took to lose 18kg over aprox. 14 weeks. It was hell. SO realistically it will take me that long to loose half that weight as I cannot get the runs or steps in and I haven't knocked the booze on the head.

I need to fight my inner bitch and just get on with it by making today my day 1.

• Advertisement

To be fair, as magnificent that achievement was the most glaringly obvious thing is that it was totally unsustainable. You already know yourself you'd pushed too hard to get to a weight you couldn't possibly maintain in your normal lifestyle. That was really the key for me, it was finding a balance that meant having got to my ideal weight (well, not ideal, but close enough to be realistic) that I could live a reasonably normal enough life without having to take drastic lifestyle altering actions to address when it inevitably went awry, at touching 50 the days of crash diets & 5 days of exercise a week are done. Even now I try to do everything in moderation, eating, drinking, exercise etc. and the funny thing is I feel much happier that way (okay when I exercise I still push hard, but allow myself time to recover), I've stopped really caring so much about my weight & judge it by how I feel, fitness wise & in my clothes' wise (if that makes sense?) My suggestion (& feel free to tell me to fook off btw) would be to not aim for a huge result in a short time and try to get something manageable with small changes, like 1-2lbs a week or suchlike, at least then if you have a bad week your targets wont really change, just get back on the horse and aim for the same the week after... life is hard enough as it is, no need to take on another herculean task IMO.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Yup, I got to the 77kg as a bet really. goal was 82ishkg. I think 82-84 is attainable, just hard to get to now as I have let it slip. Quicker I start, quicker I get there

You'll get there, no need to kill yourself on the way though 😉

I just want to get back running, then I will be a happy elf. It's just about cool enough, about 30c at 5-6am now.

We are very similar that low 80s is our 'walk around' weight. I usually go up and down +/- 5kg depending on the time of the year.

Will have to put the effort in to keep where I am over the next few months or will be in a world of hurt early next year.

You got there once, you know what you have to do and have set yourself a realistic goal/target so no reason at all you wouldn't do it again.

• Advertisement

If I tried running in 30 degree heat I'd be done after 1 or 2k tops. As much as i love the heat, running in it... nah!! Fair play Jude.

Have to wait until my broken bone in my foot is fully set. I have been told I can skip a bit so will start with that this pm.

Cheers all, it really helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Don’t worry @Jude13 I’m sure my Guinness surger fuelled binge hasn’t been kind to me either 🙈

Here we go again

Week 1 at 90.4kg

Week 2: 89.7kg - -0.7kg/1.54lbs

Week 3: 88.2kg - -1.5kg/3.01lbs

Week 4: Pints, Pints Pints and no weigh in

Week 5: 90.8kg - +1.6kg/3.53lbs

Haven't been to the gym since last Friday morning (Migraine left me in no fit state to do much) so heading this evening... dont know what to expect as its the longest I've gone between gym sessions since rejoining back in the first week of July...

Good warm up and you'll be fine. Muscle memory will kick in and look after you.

Gym good, Guinness bad. 3 steps forward, 2 steps back

6 months: -7.6lbs

Week 27: -2.0lbs

Week 28: -3.4lbs

Week 29: +3.4lbs

Week 30: +2.0lbs

more worried about my head than my legs & lungs 😃

Not that i need to tell you, pull the plug straight away if you start to feel even a little light headed, pain etc.

No fear on that score... thankfully anytime I have had a Migraine attack I get the aura in my vision about an hour before so do get a warning its coming & prepare for it accordingly. The Mrs will be in the gym with me anyway so if anything does go pete tong at least I know I'll get home safely. Suspect I'll be grand though, probably struggle with the lethargy of the last few days anyway so a good work out will help clear that out methinks.

• Advertisement

Cardio heavy session tonight, just under 1000 cals... was sweating buckets but after having a shower I felt great... most relaxed I've felt since Saturday so glad I went. Decent night's sleep now and I reckon I'll be back to normal. 3 sessions planned for the weekend now to get the routine going again.

Thanks for the heads up on this. Interested to see what features are available in the premium version. I'm signed up to 22nd December and turned auto renew off so I don't get caught paying for it then

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1 - 10 : -15.5lbs

week 11: +1lb

Week 12: -2.5lb

Forgot about this last week. Most likely cause I was hungover. Week 11 had a well deserved gain from a work night out. First once since December 2019. Lots of drink was had. Back on track now.

You're smashing it man, great work!

@Loughc that's a savage loss on week 12.

We had a night away at a hotel so there was buffet style lunch and dinner. We also had two take aways. Yup same old. I did do my first run on my newly mended (nearly) foot. I did 5.5km before it started to get sore so pulled the plug there. Its been 10 weeks since I broke it but I never looked after it or used a moon boot.

Just glad for the mental buzz I get from running, I love it. I was so excited to go for a run (in 35 degrees). Slow and staedy. Weigh in on Tuesday morning. i dont expect any Christmas mirracles.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Where did you put in the code. Mine is defaulting to a 1 month trial

I was hoping for the weight to start with an 8

Week 1 at 90.4kg

Week 2: 89.7kg - -0.7kg/1.54lbs

Week 3: 88.2kg - -1.5kg/3.01lbs

Week 4: Pints, Pints Pints and no weigh in

Week 5: 90.8kg - +1.6kg/3.53lbs

Week 6: 90.0kg - -0.8kg/1.76lbs

Well went & got my arm checked, turns out I have a bad case of tennis elbow... talk about frustrating as its my dominant arm so its not like it'll get much rest.. on anti inflammatory tablets which are kicking my stomach inside out & sideways and a topical anti inflammatory gel which is helping... but in reality looking like 6 more months of this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Essentially 2lbs in a week Jude, absolute savage loss. Anytihng over 1lb is a big loss the boy really has to work hard to burn past the first 1lb.

Advertisement