Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Only Fools & Horses

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Yeah I thought it wasn’t funny and was waaaaaayyyyyyy too long.

I don’t begrudge them having the ambition to do something different, but it was their worst show.

I believe the Miami episodes were David Jason's favourite.

For me, the fishing trip remains my favourite OFAH episode.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the Jolly Boys Outing for me. It's just fantastic.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the reason why David feels it's his best episode is because he got to play a different character as well as filming in Miami. Which is all fair from a personal aspect but from a fan aspect it really is horrible set of two episodes. But to be fair to only fools it's really hard to list bad episodes except them.

**Edit**
    Forgot about the last episodes in 2001. Horrible too.

But yeah the 'friday the 14th' episode is a classic. It's up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the reason why David feels it's his best episode is because he got to play a different character as well as filming in Miami. Which is all fair from a personal aspect but from a fan aspect it really is horrible set of two episodes. But to be fair to only fools it's really hard to list bad episodes except them.

I thought the first part was funny myself especially the scene with del, raquel and Albert when del is attempting to get raquel's blessing to go to Miami with rodney.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,041 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

**Edit**

It's not unwatchable but it'd be the "Jumping the shark" moment for me if it weren't two one-off episodes that are never referenced again in the series.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

**Edit**

I don't think they should have made them as it ended perfectly with the 1996 trilogy. However, I enjoyed the 'Gary' storyline with Boyce as the bodyguard!

My 2nd favourite episode (just behind Friday the 14th) is the one where Triggs grandmother dies. Grandad's conversation with Triggs Grandfather is a brilliant scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

PS we just lost Rosalind Knight, who played Mrs. Cresswell in that episode, the scary landlady at the Villa Bella.

Here's one to twist your noodle.

Uncle Albert actor Buster Merryfield was 65 when he joined the show in 1985.
    Grandad actor Leonard Pearse was 66 when he started the show in 1981.

David Jason was 63 in the final episode of Only Fools in 2003. He was as old as Albert and Grandad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

It's on now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Yeah they definitely changed his character over the seasons. Early on he was a bit of a shady petty thief, a little dim, but that wasn’t played upon as much in early seasons. Rodney was actually a bit afraid of him - “Why do they call him Trigger, does he carry a gun?”

In later seasons the shady petty crime aspect of his character was forgotten about and he was just a simpleton road sweeper.

A great character though :D

There's subtle differences in season one when it was findng its feet that they later improve/ get rid of. Del actually uses correct French, they then realised it would be funnier if he was clueless about it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sad news in the only fools and horses world. It’s been announced that John Challis aka Boycie has died after a battle with cancer at the age of 79. Yes, Del Boy and Rodney and grandad/uncle Albert were the main part of the show, but to me Boycie was up there as one the best characters on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,706 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah another one gone, very sad RIP

He was due to do a tour of Ireland the last few years which was postponed due to covid. He done one only a few weeks ago in the UK and was cut short as he was so sick

Boycie was a great character, never watched 'green green grass' but heard it had its moments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I think many of the less 'self-conscious' will. The show was written in a 'natural' way slagging back and forth. No nastiness. More laughing at the characters ignorance (Del, Boyce, Rodney, Trigger etc).

O'Sullivan was from an Irish background his auld fella from Cork. It is no coincidence that slagging and mickey taking is a key component of the show. I have watched them all countless times at this stage and still laugh at them. The timing is superb well acted and written.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,219 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Very sad to hear this, I’ve been watching Yhe green green grass on Gold lately and he would always make you laugh 🥰 May he Rest in Peace

Sad news. RIP Boycie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

All I can think of is the sceance episode- where the spirit is looking for ‘Aubrey’ confusion all round.

Even in death those actors still make me laugh!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It's sad to think that alot of the cast have died by now.

Granddad, Uncle Albert, Mike, Trigger, Sid, the creator John Sullivan and now Boycie.

I guess that's just the way it goes as the show started 40 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Rest in Peace John Challis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭This is it

RIP Boycie.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sad news about John Challis.

The OFAH prequel Rock and chips us on UK TV gold attention moment. It only seems to have episodes 2 and 3 airing and I can't see episode 1.

Watched episode 2 last night and it was interesting. Different style to OFAH and much more focus on the parents and Freddie the frog's relationship with the lads mam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Not sure if people remember this one. Early episode with Del ordering drinks with Rodney from the barmaid Joyce.

When she's goes to get their drinks, del says 'I like old Joyce, I mean fair enough, she's a bit of an old dog, but you always know where you stand with them...!!!! ' Another one for the PC brigade, can't stick it to them hard enough..))))))

Do we really have to endure the whole "PC gone mad" sh*te again?

Apparently, Only Fools is massive in certain eastern European countries. Challis did a documentary called Boycie in Belgrade. It's on Prime apparently.

H. H. Asquith

Yes. Yes we alway have to go through the same boring few posts by posters who are cross about the fact that times change, banging on about how "you wouldn't get away with that now, grumble grumble, PC brigade grumble grumble".

Uncle Albert calling reggae "monkey music" in To Hull and Back was a joke of its time. It wouldn't make sense to write the same joke 40 years later. UsBus, you can use the term "monkey music" to stick it to the PC brigade if you want.

Are you suggesting that somehow a comedy from decades ago in different times with much less technology wouldn't be made in precisely in the same manner were in instead to be made today? Shocking!

H. H. Asquith

Mad concept isn't it? I'll give you an even madder concept: art is relevant to the time in which its made and while some aspects are timeless and other aspects become outdated. Wild.

Mad, like. Does irk me that the BBC have put more effort into censoring the jokes about Jimmy Savile than actually stopping him when he was active.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet. Just finished watching the Blu Ray set of the five 1980s specials - they look great (The Jolly Boys Outing in HD!) and there's both versions of A Royal Flush. Hope the remainder follows.

Minimal edits too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I just read that the actor who played Mickey Pearce, Patrick Murray, has lung cancer now and the outlook doesn't look good for him.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/only-fools-horses-mickey-star-26073951

That's interesting. I just checked Now TV and it appears they show the 58 minute version of A Royal Flush. Now TV shows the same versions as Gold channel. Makes me think when was the last time I seen the 76 minute version as I haven't seen the episode in years as it is and probably would have been on Gold.

Sad alright. The show is beloved by many people but the sad aspect now is it started 41 years ago. Patrick Murrary joined as Mickey Pearce aged 27 in 1983. Him, Rodney, Jez all young men. Even Del Boy was in his prime as David Jason was only 41 starting out. Same age as Boycie actor John Callis who died last year. Trigger - Roger Lloyd Pack, was only 37 in 1981 who also sadly died aged 69 in 2014.

Beloved characters and actors but now the realities of getting old showing its ugly head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Loved the show, the quality did tale off in the last few series but maybe that was because it had run its course by then.

My favourite scene was Del's sales patter to the Aussie bloke buying the old Cortina with the dodgy brakes.

Advertisement