Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Something needs to be done about the conspiracy theories forum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,581 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Your points are moot to someone (in this case me) who thinks the CT forum is a mess and it's closure wouldn't be a bad thing, but then you're not somebody who could accurately be characterised as a regular poster on that forum so such an outcome would naturally be inconsequential to you no doubt.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

You just want certain posters banned because they dare to question your "facts"?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Thank you.

Isn't this then what exists?

A forum where conspiracy theories can be questioned and challenged?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,232 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Ok, so the issue isn't the questions or their volume, it's that they aren't being asked politely and gently enough?

I didn't say "Dumb it down" I said "lets make it exceedingly simple" after trying and failing several times to get you to answer the question.

Does standard this also count for conspiracy theorists who come in declaring that people are sheep and that everyone who doesn't believe their conspiracy theory just believes everything they are told by their government? Is this acceptable?

Ok. So you don't want to engage with the points then.

No one else seems to either for some reason...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Some posters (to varying degrees) are engaged in a deniable form of trolling and that should be recognised and dealt with.

Since you don't agree, we are starting to around in circles.

Its up to the Mods now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

No it isn't acceptable to call people "sheep" that is an unfair insult.

Great. Would accusing people of "believing everything they're told by the government" be fair or acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Your complaint is about posters whom you disagree with displaying a holier than thou attitude, and yet in just this thread alone, in your last few posts you’ve attempted to take a pop at the posters you see as regulars in the CT forum suggesting they’re as bad as each other, need to get outside, any rational or reasonable person shares your opinions (that last one is one I hear a lot, based entirely upon the posters ego).

I have to admit I was initially misled by what I thought was your complimenting King Mob on their due diligence in questioning theories to determine whether they have any merit. It turns out it was nothing more than a condescending pop, evidently so when you went back and edited the post to remove all doubt as to whether it was a compliment or a condescending pop at another poster.

I don’t know any of the regulars in the CT forum, CT’s aren’t something I have any interest in, but I took a quick look at it there and the standard of what constitutes a legitimate CT in some people’s eye is a chaotic stream of consciousness, sort of a “here’s a mad idea, discuss”, or the opening post ends with a question posed in bad faith, and when they are expected to substantiate their claims in some way, or to substantiate their belief of what is more often not a conspiracy theory but just a shìtty idea they hope gets legs… they either get defensive, or respond along the lines of “I can’t produce anything because they’re watching and could burn me house down”, “I don’t have ALL the answers”, when they were only asked to start with the small stuff… and that’s foregoing all the link dumps, video dumps, “Google it for yourself if you don’t believe me”, etc, etc.

The “I’m not denying the moon landing, buuuuut…”, is classic diversion and distraction tactics in any discussion when their bullshìt is pointed out to them, similar to the way in which you claimed it wasn’t the point when you accused another poster of being the first to introduce CT into a thread, and it was pointed out to you that they weren’t, “yeah but anyway, look over there!”, to your point about anyone but yourself having a persecution complex when, as one of my favourite quotes goes - you’re not even wrong.

On the point the OP raises, well I don’t agree that any old shyte should be permitted to be floated as though it has any legitimacy or qualifies as a conspiracy theory. Develop the theory offline before introducing it to a wider audience where if you expect the theory should be taken seriously, it should be supported by some form, ANY form of evidence, and there are a few examples of what constitutes evidence given in the charter, so it’s not as though anyone could claim to be unaware of what is required of the theory that would distinguish it from bullshìt.

What you’re asking for OP is the same idea as everyone having a great business plan which requires significant investment, and any questioning of the idea is being unreasonable - “believe without question” is essentially the standard you want to set in the forum. You’re not children for goodness sake, “the meanies don’t believe me” isn’t even a conspiracy theory in itself, it’s an attempt to manipulate an outcome in your favour, by engendering sympathy from people when there’s absolutely no reason to deserve it.

If every random thought that enters a person’s head has to be entertained as though it has any legitimacy, then a common barometer which is used across all forums - the signal to noise ratio, declines rapidly in CT, leading to what I read this morning in the forum. There wasn’t much in the way of legitimate conspiracy theories, a lot of it was just bullshìt, and not even high quality bullshìt, but the kind of low-grade stuff I expect of angst-riddled teenagers hanging out in their neighbours garage passing around a spliff sort of floating shìt out there.

Were it not for posters questioning these ideas, I imagine the standard of what constitutes a legitimate conspiracy theory would be far lower - the opposite of the kind of skepticism of a healthy mind, it would be the 5G sort of stuff, getting legs without being questioned, entertaining every paranoid thought that the opening poster can walk back on and claim is “just a thought experiment” when they get a bit of pushback. For the health of the forum, ESPECIALLY the CT forum, you should be delighted with the fact that there are people who are willing to endure an awful lot of bullshìt to encourage people to really question their ideas and beliefs and think a bit harder and flesh out their ideas before expressing them in public where they are subject to objective scrutiny!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

But surely on the flip side of that, we have posters on the CT side who refuse to engage when thier evidence is questioned. Surely this is also a form of trolling and those posters should be banned too?

• Advertisement

You don't know any of the regulars on the CT forum? Yet you were able to outline that you have reasonably well informed notion of Kingmob and his posting style?

I'm not going to apologize for as you put it "having a pop" at people who have no issues whatsoever slinging mud at anyone they disagree with.

Glazers Out!

It's sort of true though, even trump election conspiracy theories have a tendency to overflow into the current affairs threads. So it does act as a buffer.

Tbf, there's very little in the way of reasoned debate when it comes to Trump.

Glazers Out!

It appears from the context of your posts in just this thread alone, as I said, that you imagine King Mob deserves your criticism for… asking questions, in the Conspiracy Theories forum.

I don’t have any opinion of King Mob personally, other than they are adhering to what I would expect in a Conspiracy Theories forum - posters do their due diligence and question things which make no sense to them and try to make sense of it. That invariably includes other people’s theories and ideas.

Questioning ideas are a fundamental basis for the formation of a conspiracy theory. Perhaps it might be useful if we were to come to some agreement on what actually constitutes a legitimate conspiracy theory? Wikipedia reference is just as handy as any I reckon -

I've no problem with anyone asking questions.

I have a problem with snarky condescending people who feel there's some sort of witch hunt going on against them(ironic in light of their opposition to all things conspiratorial).

As I mentioned previously, your seemingly in depth knowledge of Kingmob makes me wonder why you said you don't know any of the CT forum regulars, as it flies in the face of that statement.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Your problem is with snarky condescension? Yet that has been your default on this thread?

A little self awareness wouldn't go astray.

My assertion that the CT forum is a mess and it's potential demise would tend to be a positive thing is just me outlining the thoughts I originally posted.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Mother of god, this thread has essentially turned into Brick Tamland shouting "LOUD NOISES!!!" into a room full of other people too busy shouting to listen to him.

It's a lovely day, guys, get out and enjoy it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've deleted the last two posts as they're just personal bickering.

The topic is the management of the CT forum, not a re-run of past spats, so stick to the topic at hand.

You clearly DO have a problem with anyone asking questions, and in particular you appear to have a problem with King Mob asking questions, which is truly ironic in the context of your attempting to portray yourself as the victim of others snarky and condescending behaviour in light of your own behaviour IN THIS THREAD.

So, just to be unequivocally clear with you so as to remove all doubt from your mind when you have questioned TWICE now my claim that I am not familiar with any of the posters in the CT forum, and your evidence amounts to nothing more than I do not share your opinion of a particular poster -

1. I’ve clarified twice now that I am basing my opinion on evidence presented in THIS thread.
    2. King Mob has asked a number of questions IN THIS THREAD which have gone unanswered. I call that doing their due diligence and asking questions.
    3. Your complaint amounts to you don’t like the fact that King Mob asks questions because it appears to you to be condescending and snarky and all the rest of it.
    4. YOU are the person making the claim of me having some in depth knowledge of King Mob, and YOUR evidence (or lack thereof), is enough to suggest to you that I must be lying when I say I don’t know any of the regulars in the CT forum, which is precisely why I thought at first your condescending remark towards King Mob was complimentary of their due diligence and asking questions, and upon further evidence presenting itself, it turns out I was wrong to have thought you were being complimentary. There’s a history there I wasn’t aware of, precisely because I’m not familiar with any of the regulars in the CT forum.

Now do you want to go away and think about your idea a bit more before you take another stab at it? Maybe take your own advice and go out and get some fresh air or something and mull it over, it might come to you why you perceive any questioning of your ideas to be an attack on you personally.

• Advertisement

You're ignoring the point though... Which is the conspiracy theory does actively buffer against more nonsensical postings.

I'd agree with that if the pool of posters on that forum wasn't so small.

Glazers Out!

Show me proof that I have problems with people asking questions.

I'm not going to address the rest of that stream of consciousness until you do.

Glazers Out!

Ok since my points have been buried a bit, I want to rephrase them.

Lets say that there's a new charter and a conspiracy theorist has made a claim of fact that he believes supports the conspiracy theory they are proposing. Lets also say that this fact is incorrect. For simplicity we will us the example "X amount of people died."

Now is it acceptable to ask for evidence that this number of people died?

Is it acceptable to ask why the theorist believe that number of people died?

Is it acceptable to point to evidence that shows that X amount of people didn't die?

If none of those is acceptable, what would be an acceptable response that would promote discussion?

Conversely, would it be acceptable for a conspiracy theorist to ignore that question or point? Would this promote discussion or suppress it?

Also, with this new charter, what are the practical realities.

Are all conspiracy theories allowed? Even ones that are obviously silly or ones that are racist such as holocaust denial?

Are all conspiracy theories considered equally valid?

Are the particulars of conspiracy theories allowed to be questioned and disagreed with as long as a person accepts there is a conspiracy of some kind?

I think those who are calling for the charter to be changed don't have any answers to these practicalities. I don't think they have any particular ideas for the new charter beyond protecting conspiracy theorists from questions. They don't want certain types of discussion, but they don't want to say this directly as doing so is a bit telling.

A useful thought going forward might be to have a standard template for the OP of each new thread to follow.

Outlining things such as;

• Subject (the conspiracy being discussed)
    • Who the conspirators are (outline who "they" are)
    • Why the conspirators decided to conspire on this particular subject.
    • How the conspirators will ultimately benefit from the conspiracy.
    • Outline how the conspirators failed to keep their plans secret (it's up for discussion here after all)
    • Outline how the conspiracy will play out if it has not already done so.
    • Give as much reasonable evidence as possible (in fact a scale of probability could be applied to each topic by mods related to how grounded or outlandish the topic at hand may be).
    • Give a short list of both Pro's and Con's relating to the subject at hand (outlining what the theory should be taken seriously and also showing an understanding of why it might not be).

This type of structure may possibly be the key to a more reasonable form of discussion, particularly with conspiracy advocates having to show an understanding of why others may not take their claims seriously from the outset hopefully offsetting at least some of usual list of demands from some quarters.

Glazers Out!

^

Excellent post.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

The irony that a thread designed to give feedback about how threads in the conspiracy forum always descend into a 10 page spam-fest that nobody wants to read has also descended into a 10 page spam-fest that nobody wants to read.

Bring back the old forum charter. There was absolutely no good reason that it should have changed outside of one rogue mod who wanted to exert their hard-left agenda on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

If people new all this then it wouldn't be a conspiracy theory it would be a current affairs topic for Christ's sake.

Discussing conspiracy theories is a hobby. I think its about time a certain faction of trolls stopped dumping on people's hobbies for once.

^

Very much NOT an excellent post.

Typical sea gulling by one of the chief CT Sea gulls.

• Advertisement

For King Mob anyway it looks more like some sort of personal crusade, or a vocation..

Certainly not a hobby..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement