Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking antenna on bumper = nct fail

Options
  • 15-09-2021 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if the following will fail nct?

Not sure if ce rated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

For reference, how will I know if the tyres will pass also...

For reference it is a Japanese import?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect that could fail as likely to injure a pedestrian under the general condition checks but that would depend entirely on the tester.

https://www.ncts.ie/media/wiwmmcpc/nct-manual-june-2021.pdf page 93 for tyre checks.

Thanks, presume that would be only a visual / free retest.

And thanks for the link, my tyres have a E4 rating so they look good to go 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's not a hazard to predestrians or cyclists it will pass, is it flexible or rigid? I'd say if rigid it will fail.

It's all metal but has a little bend in it, kinda like an old radio antenna if that makes sense.

It is currently riveted on. I suppose I could take out the rivets and screw it on. That way if it fails I could immediately remove it for a visual retest there and then. Would that work?

If I remove it altogether my bumper will have one big hole and 3 small holes so I expect that would also likely be a fail. Am I right in that logic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Speedline

They would be looking for sharp or jagged edges. I reckon that would fail due to the bracket, but I don't know for sure. Could you pop by a centre before the test, and approach one of them and show them that pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd leave it on, if it fails it will be a visual inspection when you bring it back to check.

This for example passed, does look to be flexible rubber though...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-rictis-welcab-auto-2008/28348423

• Registered Users Posts: 8,573 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

One of my cars has a parking pole but it's on top of the bumper and that passes every year. The bracket on yours looks like a fail for sharp edges but I'd leave it on for the test and chance it, it will probably depend on who tests it to whether it fails or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭User1998

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

If you were to hit a cyclist even slowly, the top horizontal section of the bracket could turn a bump into a serious injury. Even if it passed the NCT it should be removed and replaced with something like Atlantic Dawn has posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Agree with kirving. The fitting would cause serious injury to a pedestrian or cyclist. I would at least change that, for safety never mind the NCT. The antenna is also probably too rigid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

You can just put tape over the holes if you think the sharp edges will fail the test. We have put silage tape on sharp edges to get tgem through the test

Yup, the safety points are fair. Will remove it and tape and see hoe it goes. Appreciate the feedback folks.

Wile we are on it do you think the same sharp edge principle applies to this? Has just pulled a little of the bumper back on the wheel arch. Not sure to try and melt it back smooth or glue it back etc for the nct. I'll eventually replace the piece altogether but for the nct what you reckon is best!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Need a picture.

As above duct tape on cracks and holes seems to be the go to for short term repairs and passes.

Edited there. Can go with the tape again. I'll be like father Ted and the hammer... Won't see the car for tape 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ya I'd see if you can heat it up and press it back. Then unfortunately yes duct tape. It works though !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The design of the bracket suggests there was probably some plastic cover that clipped onto it.

It's called a "corner pole" or "fender pole". No antenna, it's just a piece of metal and or plastic, sometimes illuminated at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Comment_below

What's the point of a parking pole?

On the same topic are bonnet emblems like that of Jaguar or Mercedes banned for pedestrian safety?

Is that why Rolls Royce bonnet emblem hides away when driving and can be electrically popped up to impress everyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It's used for judging where the corner of the car actually is, especially on cars from pre parking sensor era.

Rife on Japanese imports

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yes, it's a visual aid for the driver. Also: People in Japan are on average not particularly tall (about two inches shorter than average in Ireland), which may make seeing the bonnet more difficult depending on the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement