Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

******* Motors Chat Thread *******

• 08-09-2021 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭

Since the old thread disappeared on this new boards.ie platform I decided to create a new one. Hopefully it will bring some life back into the motors section. The platform has still not fully recovered from the down time and changes.

1.This thread is for motoring topics which you feel are not worthy of starting a new thread for, banter from a meet or general motoring related chit chat.

2.Keep it clean.

3.The Motors charter applies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

I was actually looking for this thread a few days ago as its the main one I used to post in.

I don't have much motoring news the A4 is going well I haven't really done anything with it other than getting the two dents taken out of the door and boot (along with driving it a lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Same I couldn't find it either. New boards is too white.

Did you get the 150 or 190 model CIP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Anyone know if you can find out if a car is taxed by running the reg?

As I type this cornmarket comes to mind I will check that out and if not hopefully there is a way and someone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

It’s a 150bhp with dsg. I wasn’t sure about going auto but because I am doing so much driving I really like it now as it just makes long distance driving easier. I still ultimately prefer manuals but auto is better for my situation at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 610 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Man I just sold a bike on DoneDeal and I forgot how much of a ballache it is selling anything. The sheer amount of timewasters/idiots is beyond belief.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

happened in london - apparently the range rover had been stolen but got boxed in by someone trying to park so the thieves decided to ram themselves free.

That's mad. Bad luck for those whose cars got smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

I saw an is200 parked backwards into the divider on the new motorway section up to tuam today. For a west of ireland motorway the surface water drainage is shocking on it.

You should reduce your speed for the conditions motorway or not. I was driving back from Dublin to Galway direction 2 or 3 weeks ago in bad rain I reduced to 105Km/h which was perfectly safe in the conditions. I know it's hard to get by the we are on a motorway so I will do 120Km/h or more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Ooooft! Am I glad to see this thread back 😀

After a (miserable) few weeks of breaking my fingers, I decided to try out a new welder as my first main task after my forced rest stint. Not only did I burn myself badly, but also stuck wire straight through my thumb. Yes, that's as sore as it sounds

And just yesterday, while working on a set of injector rails, I hit myself with a hammer again. The same finger that was broke

I think I'm getting too old for this craic...

It sounds like you're cursed like the Mayo team... 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Maybe not too old, Mr. Pigeon. I found out myself if I frequently perform tasks I have decent skills at while paying not too much attention I start to make mistakes/errors. Routine kills. ;-)

Jesus the price of S2000's these days. Just had a look on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,298 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Everything "classic" is going up, even modern youngtimer classics. Seems to be a global bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,611 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I actually bought an MR2 earlier this week as the way things are going I reckoned it would the last chance I'd get to buy an affordable one.

N/A or turbo?

There was a turbo one up last week or the week before at a reasonable price for these times I thought.

It's a rev1 n/a with an auto gearbox. Not as bad as I thought it would be. It's standard apart from Rev2 15 inch alloys are fitted.

It's getting belts and service done next week and nct test is on Oct 1st.

It wasn't on donedeal I picked it up from a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

MR2s are still surprisingly reasonably priced

They are for what you're getting but prices have been creeping up in the last 6 months. You'd only get a basket case project now for €2k unless you get lucky.

Clean ones are going for about €5k. I've seen them more expensive but can't comment if they are selling for it.

In the grand scheme of things they're cheap especially when XLi Corollas are making near 3k!

• Advertisement

Just realised I have 20k km put on the A4. The car must be like wdf as there was 28k km on it when I bought it and it was exactly 3 years old. I have put the 20k km on it in 3.5 months. Literally from one extreme to another.

Jesus that's a fair bit of driving in a short period. You weren't lying when you said you will be doing a big commute.

Yes while a lot of it is work commuting since Covid restrictions eased over the summer I have pretty much been going places every weekend often good distances more so than I have ever done really. It is such a comfortable car to travel in being honest the seats are very adjustable to you can get it to the way you want. TBH I liked the Octavia also while it didn't have much in the line of extras it was a good dependable car and was nice to drive with the 2.0TDI engine.

I think I made the right choice to change the A4 is the optimum commuting car for my needs. I won't be changing it while I am doing such high mileage as doing 70k km a year in a car and then regularly changing it the cost just can't be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Quick question lads, friend of mine is going to look at an old car from Poland which is for sale in Ireland that he wants to buy

It looks like it hasn't been imported yet and the owner doesn't have the ownership. Can it be bought and registered ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it doesn't have proper registration documents with it then he won't be able to register it in Ireland.

Thanks for that bazz

How would one go about getting something like that sorted if he did buy it ? Could he not bring it to a main dealer to get it verified etc and a solicitor to sign off on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,096 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

He might but main dealers have been known to not want to get involved with that sort of thing especially on an old car. Where would that leave your friend then, stuck with a car he cannot register here? I'd be more inclined to think why the seller doesn't have proper registration documents with a car they are selling? Also what if the car was stolen or worse here or back in Poland? A seller not having proper registration documents with the car they are selling would raise suspicions with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ Aye to above. An old car from abroad without appropriate paperwork it's huge red flag. Avoid!

Thanks lads, crises avoided

• Advertisement

What is the story with those chip tuning boxes like RaceChip? Are they any good or just a gimmick.

Advertisement