Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Absolutely, Mark....Yeesh, those numbers are grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,484 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

This as a result of the HPV vaccine flip flop? The SF numbers are worse than Republican supporters in the US (which are probably more up to date).

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rdwight

Turns out you were right about a larger percentage of loony party members being anti-vax.

I seem to remember a poll on attitudes to immigrants a couple of years ago also showing some disappointing trends among SF voters. (if this new version of b.ie allowed me to see my old posts I might even be able to find a link)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,286 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Expecting Sinn Fein to provide leadership is a forlorn hope.

It is quite shocking how far behind other parties SF supporters are when it comes to vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Twitter a credible post worthy source now 😎

28th November 2020

Sample: 1,044

Must try harder.

False advertising there.

SF push for immigrant rights and an end to direct provision.

The system must also protect people fleeing persecution and war, our international obligations must be fulfilled. We should end the Direct Provision system, treat people with dignity, process applications for asylum in a timely manner and implement the recommendations of the All-Party Oireachtas Committee Report.

It wasn't SF courting a lady wanted to put asylum seekers in re-education camps.

Really boys. SF the violent, pro peace, anti immigrant, pro immigrant party 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 14,049 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Twitter isn't the source, it is the "Ireland Thinks / Mail on Sunday" who conducted the poll.

Mary Lou struggling on radio when asked details on how to pay for stuff.easy give away stuff for nothing from the hurler on the ditch but don’t ask her how to pay for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

So I have that at now about 8000 homes SF have placed objections to on the basis that it's not the right type of housing.

It's fairly obvious that 8000 homes would definitely go a long way to solving the rental crisis. People tend to forget we have 3 smaller crises within the housing crisis:

1) A social housing crisis, where waiting lists are long and those in need of housing are housed in HAP. This directly is impacting no 2.

2) A rental crisis - Demands for rentals especially in big cities is driving up prices and because of HAP it is maintaining high rents. There's thousands of people who want to rent for whatever reason.

3) Private housing crisis - There's thousands of people out there who want to buy their own homes but are either locked out of this due to lack of supply or lack of affordability. Many people in this category are paying rents that are higher than a potential mortgage. Many in this category make to much to qualify for an affordable housing scheme.

SF seem to only seem care about those who qualify for social and affordable homes. They will object to any other kind of development but the housing crisis is much more than lack of homes for those on lower incomes but its where the SF vote is.

There is no doubt that 8000 homes of mixed lease type along with a vacent property tax will help drive prices down for renters, but SF do not want to lower rents because again lower rents means less outrage amongst younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s what a lot of folk are worried about, with these party political broadcast opportunities.

Rarely asked the hard questions, and when they are it’s all waffle and smoke and mirrors.

Middle Ireland is watching and noting…………..😎

It is never the right type of housing, or the right plan, or the right mix of social and private, or the right colour of the tiles.....

SF is playing a double game here and the media should be picking up on this. They are purposely objecting to housing plans to get more bums on Dail seats. It is that simple.

A very accurate summary of the situation. The hypocrisy of SF is not unexpected however.

It looks like the original poll results are published here. They're the same as in the tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

Listened to ML interview this morning.

(1) she was asked how all the projects were going to be paid for and she DID NOT answer the question in any shape or form. She was VERY BADLY caught out. She only stutters, hesitates, blusters, very vague utterances , etc , etc, when caught out and she DID a lot of it. She than went on to say that SF has a lot of work done on it and yet could not give any figurative updates on where it’s at at the moment. This question has Been asked of them for a good few years now so surely it , at least, broadly worked out how it will finance what it is proposing at each juncture. SF used to be a bit specific eg anyone earning over €100,00 will be subjected to a progressive rate of tax - the rate going higher the more you earn

Eoin o Brion is very good at what it would do re more housing and rattles off how it can be funded.

MORE WAFFLE HOT AIR

when asked about the health system and the problems therein.

one of the problems raised was the lack of staff including consultants - who she said are getting paid enough. Then the discussion moved onto doctors / consultants working overseas. She said that the main problem she has come across with them - so that they will come home if resolved - is accommodation. Her actual words were “ where will they live”? Now if doctors/ consultants have a problem with accommodation then there is LITTLE or NO HOPE for most of the rest of us apart from those millionaires that ML and other SF spokespersons constantly refer to.

Its comic the ML is now trying to show empathy for those ‘poor’ overseas doctors - coming back with much more skills / experiences than they went out with- so as to widen her SF voting fraternity.

if she did ‘consult’ with the medical overseas medical fraternity she probably misunderstood what they were saying.

what they probably meant “ which hhospital will I take up the job offer and following on from that - work base now sorted- which of the 4 or 5 suitable houses will I go for. That’s the “ where will I live 🤕” that they will have. The same will apply if renting. I very much doubt if money, house prices would be an issue.

and by the way, the vast majority of the medical profession - who take their work seriously- are worth every penny they get. It’s extremely important work with lives at stake and those lives have families around the, who can also be massively impacted upon - depending on outcomes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

How do SF propose to either attract doctors or retain existing ones if they increase taxes on those earning over 100K ?

I actually haven't a notion what point you're trying to make there.

The only reason I'm responding is because this is your reply to a post of mine.

I'll take a listen later, but it may be a shift in how the media are going to deal with SF.

No longer will they be treated like some anti-establishment left-wing party of old, who say populist stuff that no one believes.

If SF are to be a serious party of government then they will have to be clear and concise with the truth and tell us exactly who and how are we going to pay for all their programs.

• Advertisement

A whale only gets harpooned when it comes up to blow.

You inferred SF voters had issues with immigrants I showed the party were quite the opposite and for sometime. You were talking pony. That was my point.

The two things are not incompatible.

Sinn Fein voters may well have issues with immigrants, while the party itself may say something different. We already have that with vaccines, with a huge percentage of SF voters not wanting to be vaccinated, while the party pays lip service to the idea, despite having anti-vaxxers in the ranks of their TDs.

MLMD was on point regarding the Coveney scandal and vote of no confidence.

She linked cronyism and the lying to all the problems we have and how Martin wasn't willing to do the right thing, SF had no choice.

I fully support blocking build to rents which fill the pockets of cuckoo funds with tax payer money, while making the FG/FF housing crisis worse.

Why do FF/FG persist with these failed policies? I would draw your attention to the Zappone affair. Putting cronyism before fair play and the tax payer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

One man's scandal is definitely not another woman's funeral attendance scandal.

I'm baited with excitement to see how SF is going to address housing especially by blocking build-to-rents so the vast majority of renters who aren't in a position or unwilling to buy, are going to fare under an SF government. Perhaps they will do a conversion course for ex-IRA prisoners to become builders. It will be difficult given they're only experienced with the demolition aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

SF unfortunately have an extreme free market approach to housing demand but a very restrictive approach in supply.

That's going to cause problems for them.

Also came across Wendy Lyon, a SF activist in Dublin.

Where is a party that says it is for the working class having a person like that in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

There is now a very stark class divide, especially in Dublin and Cork SF between the activists and the voter base of the party.

The sugestion was SF voters have issues with migrants. Your defense is they may do. You're right they may, or they may not.

Out of 1000 odd people asked, last year, more SF voters were vaccine hesitant. So what? FG and FF have the same TD 'anti-vaxxers' but being honest, the SF, FF, FG 'anti-vaxxers' are people who changed their tune, but that doesn't suit your story.

• Advertisement

The FF/FG/Green approach has crippled the market for private buyers and renters and their new/not new policies will make matters worse, so say every expert out there. I suggest we need a different approach.

No idea who Wendy Lyon is but I assume she doesn't fit the stereotype?

Advertisement