Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The wondrous adventures of Sinn Fein (part 3) Mod Notes and Threadbanned List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

He never claimed he had evidence

So is this the new politics we can expect from SF? Making serious accusations yet they furnish no evidence of the claim because they don't have any? He was just caught out, badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not to exactly ‘what’ Cee?

” “. Get to know these little guys, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

During our last exchange I asked you where it was reported that Carthys "career was in jeopardy" , or that he "would face serious repercussions", can we end this silly charade now by you just admitting that it's not been "reported" at all?

Remember my prediction that Harris will moan out loud, complain, but ultimately do nothing?

The independent has a lot of details this morning about the sting, which indicates they've the inside story on this, where they name Patrick O'Donovan as being the one to execute the sting, and the senior minister (we can assume is Harris) taking the bait.

Junior Minister Patrick O’Donovan boasted to Fine Gael colleagues that he engaged in a so-called sting operation to establish whether a Cabinet minister leaked details of Katherine Zappone’s appointment as a UN envoy.

The Irish Independent can reveal Mr O’Donovan, the Minister of State at the Office of Public Works, told at least three Fine Gael TDs in recent months of his involvement in an apparent plot to trap a Cabinet minister by pretending to be on a radio station talking about the Zappone appointment to see whether that minister would tell a journalist.

I'll go further here and explain why there's no reports claiming Carthy's career isn't in jeopardy, and he'll face no repercussions.

The sting (I would say), 100% happened. The independent newspaper seem to have all the details, which will have Simon Harris extremely worried, and make him reluctant to rock the boat.

Even if he does, Carthy could fairly reasonably state he used (not misused) Dail privilege to get the ball rolling on what appears to have been a very serious offence, which a cabinet leak is.

FG are in disarray Brendan.

We certainly can my friend.

Those were my words.

If I wanted to suggest that those were part of the reports I would have applied quotation marks

You need to read my post a little more carefully, my friend, and not jump in with inference which is incorrect.

Carthy’s career now in jeopardy…….. serious repercussions will follow, it’s been reported

So when you posted "it's been reported" your lack of quotation marks didn't actually mean it was reported at all?

Loosely translated = (and I am using quotation marks here) "you pulled it out of your backside"

That'll do me. Thanks Brendan Bendar our brief exchanges have been insightful.

• Advertisement

Again you dive in without thinking

Radio stations report things too you know, there are interviews with people.

There this new thing called ‘Television’ and surprise surprise they report things too.

So, word of advice, before going in, studs up , read the post .

Get familiar with these little lads “ “.

Ta ta

So when I asked you where it was reported, you provided me with a link saying "not a problem dude" up above.

I pointed out that it didn't mention anything at all about anyone's "career in jeopardy", or "serious repercussions"

You then claimed, that a "lack of quotation marks" meant you didn't literally mean what you said ..

Now you've posted this.

Again you dive in without thinking

Radio stations report things too you know, there are interviews with people.

There this new thing called ‘Television’ and surprise surprise they report things too.

Now I'm confused, are you suggesting it was reported . Just not in the newspaper you linked to, but instead on the television or the radio?

Any links Brendan Bendar? No?

"Pulled from backside" again?

Harris was caught with his pants down, and I'm sure Carthy is laughing into his shredded wheat this morning.

time to get out of character dude, I have to say, it's extremely pleasing tearing your nonsense asunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's gas, isn't it. According to the poster, Matt Carthy had no evidence, so he made something up (lied) in order to expose lying FG Ministers!!!!!

So he is saying that it is ok for SF spokespersons to lie and make things up in order to expose allegedly lying FG Ministers, for which he has no evidence!!!

The irony is overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

That interview on News at 1 yesterday was great listening. Talk about cringe. Justin wasn't having any of it.

Last comment on this before the mods get involved.

Wrong again, I didn’t link to any newspaper.

Extremely pleasing to rebut all your incorrect inferences.

Over and out!

• Advertisement

It's the type of interview that can finish a career.

TLDR:

Admits he had no evidence of the claim.

Admits he didn't seek to clarify with the Orcheatas staff

Admits he didn't seek to clarify with the Ceann Comhairle

Admits he didn't seek to clarify with the Taoiseach

Admits he didn't tell his party leader, MLMD what he was about to do.

Admits to and doesn't intend to make a complaint to An Gardai as allegedly a crime had taken place.

Admits to just hearing it as 'General gossip' and repeated the claim in the Dail.

Matt Carthy is apparently one of the 'better' TD's SF have at their disposal. If this is the case, they are sorely lacking cop on and decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

On the plus side he was honest with all his admissions. In that sense he might be one of the better TD's in the Dail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think O'Donovan has more questions to answer frankly. Great priority from FG. Playing games running sting operations on one another all on the taxpayers dime. Priorities all over the shop.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1438765603133788163?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

End a career like the would-be criminal leaking Leo or like Simon C. and his lying and deleting texts?

The shinner retold a story widely publicised in the media. It's not going anywhere unless S. Harris wants to revisit the whole Zappone affair, which I don't think his betters will allow.

Nice to see people with such low standards holding the shinners to such high ones.

He didn't make it up, it was reported in the media. The rest of your post reads like the Beano. As the man said it will get O'Donovan and Varadkar back in the hot seat if anything. Good works.

I am quite unsure why you think this discussion might attract the attention of moderators, I'm certainly being civil to you, and what we're discussing is most definitely off topic. (Is this akin to your "rabbit hole" leave me alone nonsense?)

But to quickly recap here, you posted that "Matt Carthys career was in jeopardy" and there would be "serious repercussions" followed by "it's reported"

I asked if you could link to where it was "reported" you said, "no problem dude" and provided a link that didn't mention anything about his career "being in jeopardy" or that he would "face serious repercussions" when I pointed this out to you, you used some absolute nonsense excuse about you "not using quotation marks" like it was your get out of jail card.

You then went on to suggest that it actually was reported, that it "was on the radio and the television", again, I've asked for this to be linked to, none seem to be forthcoming.

The best laugh of all though, was this bit.

Wrong again, I didn’t link to any newspaper.

Hands up Brendan, after exposing you as having a bit of a tendency to tell a good yarn, not expecting to be pulled on it, you absolutely have me bang to rights there. I ashamedly used the word newspaper instead of using the correct term, news article.

Forget about you spoofing, and then the lies to cover lies that kept coming, you got me on that one.

I surrender.

I said “Over and out” for this ‘discussion a few posts ago.

Thats means end of this discussion.

However I’d like to educate you …. If that’s ok… so you don’t get into trouble.

Referring to the first paragraph of your quoted post…..

Instructions….

Check page one.

Check the last two names on the appropriate list of those requested not to post here.

Research the reasons why….it’s all on this thread…….all there

Then come back to me and say ‘ “ Brenner, as usual you are correct”.. I done got you wrong.

Can’t do anymore for you ,my friend.

Looking forward to our continued co- operation, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This is the problem with SF. The standard of representative in the party is very poor. It's not policy or right or wrong, it's on a much more basic level than that.

You're on the level of individually would they be able to do a job heading a department for example?

That's the level you're dealing with, with SF

Imagine the likes of Matt Carthy in Foreign Affairs or Finance, for example. The country would be leaking credibility by the day.

Or Pearse Doherty who would have busted the country permanently in 2010, who is a 2 times college dropout. He is their man for finance.

And that's as good as it gets.

They have such a lack of credibility at a very low level and it does not take much, as seen, for that to become alarmingly apparent to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

Imagine the likes of Matt Carthy in Foreign Affairs or Finance, for example. The country would be leaking credibility by the day.

Not sure if deliberate. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

He never claimed he had evidence. He claimed Varadkar and FG operated a sting to try catch Harris as a leak.

So you are holding SF to far greater standards than the government parties? Do you not think that's quite bizarre? You seem to have a low opinion of SF but want them to be angelic compared to government ministers accepted as liars and cheats. Makes no sense tbh.

FG do more in 24 hours of any given week ffs.

Carthy telling us all what we already know is nothing. If Harris has a problem let him run amok. The reality is FG are desperate to try gain some moral high ground and that donkey has hobbled off to the glue factory.

• Advertisement

Where did it say in the Media that it was Simon Harris?

Stop lying.

He never claimed he had evidence

Isn't it great to be in Shinner-land and make statements and accusations with no evidence to back it up. SF has form in this, indeed MLMD herself was censored in the Dail for making $hit up.

New Politics indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭BKelly21

Carthy blurted out what was in the public domain since late July/early August. By all accounts the independent have the insider information on this story, right down to O'Donovan boasting about the sting to other TDs (that was his first mistake) so hardly "an accusation".

Wasn't it Tuesday night that the confidence motion was held, and I certainly haven't seen Simon Harris or Patrick O'Donovan scramble to get their faces in front of cameras to deny it either, and if there's even an ounce of truth to what happened, and the fact that both involved (POD & SH) know the independent have the details, I think you'll find neither will be willing to contradict it.

That statement will be there on the Dail record until her clears it, and the Taoiseach certainly isn't in any hurry to do so.

An excellent article here that SF should pay attention to if they wish to form a government in the future.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40700702.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Up At Fleecies

That's an opinion piece rather than an actual news article, you realise that?

Anyone can find an opinion piece they agree with, and claim it's an excellent article.

Indeed. Still a good article, though. Good advice on how a party can mature into one able to carry out their promises.

What lie? You are trying to turn words to create some kind of scandal. People need to have standards before they can try hold others to them.

I'd rather they didn't if lying and creating crony jobs is standard.

Interesting reading…………

Sorry Mary Anne didn’t see you had already linked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

So Matt Carthy believes everything he reads in the media. All you are doing is clarifying his idiocy.

Advertisement