Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What scares those who scream "conspiracy theorist"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Don't forget threaten. Some creep managed to find out my real name and has been passing it around to conspiracy theorists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If you were to be ridiculed for saying that it would be because in 2001 forums would have been filled with all sorts of theories pulled out of all sorts of holes.

"Your" (its not yours) theory would have been mixed in with 'its the Russians' 'its the Aliens' and all sorts of shyte. The innundation would have lead to a single righteous universal demand 'proof or gtfo'.

And if you didnt have it then your theory in fairness was as good as 'its the British monarchy and Rotschilds'. Or any other of the hundreds of theories.

How can you blame people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Not going through that again.

We discussed this at length ... I think it ended by you not wanting to engage anymore because according to you I was to dumb to understand the subject matter so my questions wouldn't need answering.

You again were disingenuous about me by claiming something ... why ? do you need to look smart to keep the little circle jerk going ?

Cool. You're avoiding the question then. Thanks for illustrating my point.

Conspiracy theorists aren't even able to outline their own beliefs.

You are now also making a claim about me. Are you able to provide a quote where I called you stupid? Please provide it.

As for why: I don't think my characterisation of your beliefs is disingenuous. I can't provide specific quotes, but I believe that in broad strokes it's an accurate description of what you believe. (If you disagree, please just explain what you actually believe and show me up.)

Any differences would be minor and wouldn't substantively alter my point.

You believe very silly things about 9/11 that other conspiracy theorists would dismiss as invalid.

You don't seem to have any method to determine valid from less valid conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You have claimed for years that 9/11 was some sort of inside job, but repeatedly refused, point blank to demonstrate what that inside job was. Nothing to discuss.

• Advertisement

It is discussed here

The charter was put together by input from users, mods, cmods and i think even some admin input was given in 2015 Then in 2019 a mod without consulting anyone, changed the charter because it basically didn't suit his point of view and clashed with the opinion he had in the threads he participated in himself. The original charter had some clauses in it that protected posters from being ridiculed and badgered to provide concrete evidence, all in line with the nature of this specific forum.

An example of what we have to deal with here illustrated by what Johndoe posted above

quoted below

"Also you have a long history with 9/11 trutherism, and you tried to change the charter to suit that. It's nasty stuff, you've be quickly dealt on any normal forum (e.g. science, history) for antics like that."

If you look through the charter feedback you can see I had an issue with the charter being changed by just 1 "biased" mod. specially if you take into account the long process it took to get a proper charter in place in the first place.

Johndoe is a perfect example of how The truth is twisted and turned to suit the narrative

Lol I like how this thread is Overheal trying to get you to just outline what your issue is in concise terms. And failing.

Pretty illustrative of my point.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

FYP

The original charter had some clauses in it that protected posters from being ridiculed and badgered to provide concrete evidence, enabled posters to just make any claims and never provide any reason to back up their claims

What do you hope to achieve from a discussion forum for debate on Conspiracy Theories if debating those theories is not permitted?

Debating the topic is fine, sharing content as to why you come to a certain conclusion also

Asking for concrete proof as to why someone beliefs a certain conspiracy theory is not

You need to take the nature of the forum in context as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Asking for concrete proof as to why someone beliefs a certain conspiracy theory is not

What about asking for a bit of credible evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,100 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

you're pissed because people are asking you for proof of what you say? Blimey.

Is that the same discussion I asked him several times why the change was necessary in the first place ?.

No one here is asking for concrete proof.

We struggle to get you guys to just outline what you believe, never mind evidence, never mind proof.

Yup. And you kept dodging questions. It's your go to tactic it seems.

It was a charter a lot of people worked on because the CT forum was a toxic place and the years after implementation It worked just fine until a mod decided it didn't suit his narrative and removed sections that provided some protection for people posting CT's

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Concrete proof would be good, but if there is concrete proof then it's unlikely to be a conspiracy theory anymore and would just be a conspiracy that has now been uncovered.

All that is being asked for is any kind of grounding for the theories. Doesn't have to be concrete, could be a very sandy foundation for the theory, but in the majority of cases there is nothing but hot air and zero thought clearly put into what the theory is, or why something would happen in the way claimed let alone actually if something may have been possible.

I have an issue with not directly answering stupid self explanatory questions ... hence my lack of responding to most of your input

In that particular discussion Overheal removed the 2 key points regarding a bit of protection for people posting theories ... Its a bit silly to ask which ones I have an issue with ... He was fishing and I wasn't biting

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

why dont we move this forum to the sci fi and fantasy section of "entertainment" then? or even the religion section?

seeing as you wish to be allowed to post your beliefs without question.....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Right.

There used to be a rule on this forum that conspiracy theorists didn't have to provide evidence for their conspiracies. Certain mods were just tired of moderating all the crap so they created it (one in particular), it was heavily argued against. No one needs to explain how absurd that rule was.

It's glaringly obvious you want special treatment for conspiracy theories to facilitate your fringe views and shield them from normal scrutiny (as is the case on normal forums)

Like I said, you wouldn't pull this **** on any history forum, making a sub-forum with "special rules" specifically to facilitate deniers.

• Advertisement

did it really work? it turned the forum in a safe space for people to spout nonsense without challenge. why are you afraid of people questioning what you post?

exactly, protection. why do people who post conspiracy theories need protecting? what makes their posts so special?

Because they don't want to see questions about their conspiracy theories that might cause them to doubt things.

To do this, they pretend questions like "what do you believe" and "why do you believe that" are somehow unreasonable.

No. You ignore all questions when you aren't able to answer them.

Like in this thread, you couldn't explain what your "real" beliefs were. The question can't be "self explanatory" as you need to actually explain your beliefs.

Maybe if you answered questions directly rather than trying to dance around them to avoid the traps you think are there, you'd be having less of a bad time.

But then, you'd be forced to think harder about your beliefs, and this is not allowed.

No it did not ..It provided a space where people could argue CT without being badgered and ridiculed by other posters.

You should look at my posts here in this forum and then ask again if I am afraid of people questioning me?

I find religion the biggest nonsense ever invented ..Should I be allowed to go on that forum and give them a piece of my mind ?

What is wrong with the CT charter below ?

• Do not demand proof for someone else's theories.
    • This forum is for the discussion of Theories: they may not be readily conclusive. Instead, provide a constructive counter-argument. "eg. Lizard people exist in NYC subways!" "Actually a 2017 study found that subways were only populated by rats - [source link]."
    • This forum is not for satire.
    • Yes, we ironically mention lizard-men a lot in here, but this forum is for genuine discussion on topics of merit.
    • Do not force conclusions.
    • Theories inherently are based on some supporting evidence, but that evidence frequently can neither be proven true nor false.
    • This is not a science forum or youtube channel.
    • Discussions that expect users to absorb hours worth of media snips and/or scientific lecturing to follow the context of the discussion do not belong here. Discussions that surround a specific piece of media (Eg. Loose Change, a popular 9/11 conspiracy film) belong in their own threads.
    • Do not regurgitate source material.
    • This is NOT a facebook wall. Videos/media/links you do include in your arguments need to be supported with your own words, enough that a reader should be able to follow the conversation without viewing the media - users may be on dial-up, behind firewalls, etc. that restrict their access to streaming content.
    • Address the topic, not the poster.
    • Back and forth between a handful of posters that goes on for pages and ages is the precursor to a thread falling off the rails. See the pyramid chart below for what is considered acceptable guidelines.
    • Respect the opinions of others.
    • Trying to spend 100 odd posts convincing 1 or 2 specific users that your views are more valid than theirs is what causes the most issues. You have to accept that not all people are willing to alter their beliefs to suit you - and they have the freedom to hold those beliefs (short of soapboxing). Remember: many users read, but do not post, and may be interested in reading your opinions - so the opinion of 2 or 3 other prolific posters is rarely meaningful, and should neither be seen as a victory or a threat.

this isn't just about you and your posts. asking questions is not badgering. asking questions is not ridiculing. If other posters are ridiculing you then report the posts. that is against the rules. BTW one of those rules is broken constantly and nothing is ever done about it. The one about not regurgitating source material. posts with nothing but a long YT video is not a discussion.

This thread is not about my beliefs other then the false disingenuous misrepresentation of said beliefs spouted by you.. I kindly point you to the relevant threads regarding my beliefs

Plus Dohnjoe making nonsensical accusations at the same time .... Ur a nice bunch

I find religion the biggest nonsense ever invented ..Should I be allowed to go on that forum and give them a piece of my mind ?

There are often threads on the religion forums asking why people believe what they believe. They usually manage to come up with more than just pretending the question had been asked.

Do you find anything wrong with that charter ?

• Advertisement

If this was a sub of a creative writing forum then people would still be expected to have put some thought into the back story of their ideas. There is more evidence to support the story of Harry Potter than there is for most things posted in here

Advertisement