Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2021 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Removing palmed goals wouldn't remove that skill though. The player didn't have the skill to score himself with his foot so he gave it to someone a yard out.

The no look pass thing is overexaggerated...he knew he was there. Not hard to pop it to the left knowing the defender was coming towards him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

But the discussion was about guaging individual ability, not that there was no I in team.

The ability of an individual is not reliant on his team mates.

Far superior players may win nothing, fairly average players can get all ireland medals because of others. We have seen this happen.

Case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It is one thing being an idiot, it's another thing proving it. Matt O'Connor was recognised as one of the greatest players of his generation. I already acknowledged that Tommy Murphy was a great player. Matt O'Connor only played intercounty for 5 seasons, in that time he won 3 all stars. On pressure days Matt O'Connor performed the same cannot be said for CoC and the rest of the big name Mayo players.

I say this clearly not CoC could not lace Matt's boots as a player. Chawke and cheese. Again took his chance at a Gong when it arose against one of the greatest teams ever.

Those Derry and Offaly teams were teams that took these chances. The Mayo team have not over the last 10 years. It a bit like a week or two before the 2019 All Ireland Final a Mayo said to me he hoped that Dublin did the 5 in a row. As he spoke on it was not because he considered them a great team( which they were) but because he felt it would acknowledge Mayo as a great team as well.

With that attitude you can understand why they lose. TBF I have read the Mayo GAA thread and there is an acknowledgement that there is a serious problem and that Mayo have bottled chances at winning All Ireland's. Done are looking back and accepting that it's a Mayo player/ management attitude problem not anything else.

So stop disparaging other great players that have a right to be critical of what they see and question the resolve of those players in getting over the line.

Just as an aside

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

First off the mans name is matt connor.

Secondly, my point was that he was an all time great, yet with few all ireland medals, thereby disproving this dodgey correlation being made between quality and all ireland medals. You seem to be arguing with me by making a very similar point. Im not sure what you are taking issue with really.

Thirdly, i will take issue with any guy who tries to be critical of the ethos and mentality of those who have far outperformed themselves. To put it frankly, how would they know what ethos is better when they never achieved as much themselves? They can be pundits all they like, Im just pointing out, they arent actually qualified to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The player who provided the pass had collected the ball, siloed at speed and drew the defenders towards him and then played a pin-point pass to the scorer which allowed him the simple task of palming it to the net. A move performed many times in training I’m sure. If it was that simple then why did the opposition not do similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Your second paragraph - "the ability of an individual is not reliant on his team mates" - sums up the Mayo team and their culture and reinforces the points that Brolly has made repeatedly. Mayo play as a collection of individuals, and not as a team. As a result, they consistently fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are London actually that much of an advantage to a Connacht player. They have certainly had years when they were better than Waterford, Wicklow or Limerick. Also to win Connacht you play less games than Ulster or especially Leinster so that is a leveller too

• Registered Users Posts: 25,041 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Anything rational that encourages goals is fine with me.

What absolutely drives me nuts though is the fisted point especially when the excitement is building as a player bares down on goal only to watch him hand pass it over the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭spurshero

What about what o hora done to Shane Walsh in connacht final . I didn’t hear much complaints from Mayo fans then. But when somebody drags Keegan down there’s uproar . Ya can’t have it both sides . If ya give it out you got to take it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

Just a comment from someone with no skin in the game - I'm not from Mayo. The Mayo team this year were just not good enough and they were flattered by their win over a poor Dublin side. However I think it is wrong to call the teams of the last decade bottlers. They were second only to a great Dublin team throughout that time. They fought bravely and just came up short. In one of those years they lost through the stupidity of Vaughan getting sent off. I think the criticism of AOS is overdone. On two occasions on Saturday he got himself free in front of goal but was ignored by the man on the ball. For me their dream management would be Horan and Rochford - Horan for developing players and Rochford for tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Not from Mayo either. Can't understand the amount of vitriol towards them or the likes of Cillian O'Connor or Aidan O'Shea. Lot of bitter keyboard warriors out there.

I agree with you said. Its a Mayo team that are rebuilding from the previous very good side and they have just almost been unlucky to have fallen into the last two All-Irelands when in reality they probably weren't good enough to be competing at that level. Very poor opposition in Connacht, only had to beat Tipp to get there last year. This year a spectacular Dublin implosion saw them through and with hindsight I think Mayos level is more the first half of that game than the remainder of it.

Thought Aidan O'Shea had a decent enough first half, involved in I think 4 Mayo points. Had he got the goal, he would have had a great first half. Of the 4 goal chances butchered by Mayo, his was the only one you could actually put down to good defending as opposed to a really poor attempt although a more skilful forward might have jinked inside the defender. He should have been taken off early in the second half when it was clear Mayo couldn't or wouldn't use that channel into him, but that is on Horan and not O'Shea.

The Cillian O'Connor bottler stuff is just warrior idiocy also, he was a huge loss on Saturday evening particularly in the last 15 minutes when Mayo forwards were in full panic mode. This is an outstanding equalizing point at the end of a game:

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Avon8

Ok so 'several' now turns out to be 2. First time ive ever heard two regarded as 'several'.

And you're using Westport winning a B competition as your argument against someone with a senior intercounty medal? Seriously? Sure Mayo won the Nicky Rackard cup a few weeks ago, are you going to claim they're All Ireland hurling champions now?

What minute was this McCurry incident in? The full games on Youtube so should be easy check. You said it was in the 10 mins before his goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The skill is being 2 yards in front of an empty goal when you recieve a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

So essentially, being a ripped athlete is the main skill.

I think a far greater skill is actually kicking the ball into the net past a goalkeeper.

The degradation of basic skills in football is getting worrying. It's a sad state of affairs when lads are jogging, soloing the ball around the 45 and don't even think about shooting with no one near them. Saw some absolutely horrible shooting from both teams at the weekend.

McCurry had a free at the end about 30m out, central and he put it wide. Aidan O'Shea in the semi final had a shot from 20m right beside the goal v Dublin, easier to score than miss and he hit the post.

Bringing the goalkeeper up to take free kicks is seen as some big brain move these days. It's rather sad that there was 12 forwards on the pitch at the weekend and not one of them could take a 45. Lads, whose job it is to score points, literally aren't able to stick over a 45.

Its like that time dublin dragged the entire mayo team to the ground for the last kickout 😂 I think there's a different game broadcast to Mayo tellies than the rest of the country

Otherwise they'd be very reticient to mention Lee Keegan and off the balll dragging the same sentence 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I'd like to see them done away with too. It would have made no difference on Saturday as the move was so brilliantly executed McCurry had time to catch and bury it with a kick anyway, but I just hate the volleyball type spike goals at the back post where the only skill is just to handpass it over a defenders head. I'd get rid of the handpassed point as well.

If a team is good enough to wind up in a postion where they can palm the ball into an empty net then they're doing something right

Perhaps they should be made to wait for the keeper to get back on his line just to keep it skillfull

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭growleaves

A team of champions has to be more than the sum of its parts. We are arguing over the parts (AOS, COC etc)

What this Mayo team needs is a burst of uncontainable spiritual energy and passion like the Cavan team that won Ulster last year (plus they were brawlers).

I hate being critical because it must be painful for Mayo fans to have to be raked over their team's failures but I do think there is a spiritual/mental/psychological/cultural problem whatever you want to call it.

Brolly is deliberately provocative but peel away the clickbait and there is the nucleus of a valid point being made.

Also red card flame-outs in the dying moments when it 'doesn't matter' (it all matters) in '18 and '21 aren't a good sign - like the plonkers who smash their tennis rackets when they lose a crucial tennis match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why would they have that skill when the primary consideration it seems these days is to hand pass and/or pull down or foul the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PrinceForToday

You would have to be envious of Ulster football, next year Tyrone might not get past the first round there. At least 7 of the other counties could emerge the winner. If the other provinces were as competitive GAA football would be in a very good place.

Why do people think that is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I feared for mayo when I saw your man with the pink boots........ In his head the match was already won..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He qualified to speak, he walked the walk, he is entitled to talk the talk.

You made a point about the Mayo players having minor and other medals. As well as the County Medals Joe has, he won two senior county championships with his class b and an Ulster championship. He also has a Fiele hurling medal.

So ya he is qualified to speak. The problem with the truth is it is hurtful....however it's still the truth.

Mayo will not win an All Ireland until they accept the truth.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

Hard to know what to make of the final really.

For all of Tyrone's merit Mayo could have been closer and at the same time Tyrone could have been further ahead.

Mayo didn't actually play that badly. You can never fault them for effort the last decade but the final quarter was just grim. Stupid passes/shot selection.

Lord knows where the pre-match confidence came from. Tyrone beating Kerry was arguably of greater significance. Dublin were on the ropes most of the year and were waiting to be put out to pasture.

I like Mayo and would hate for them to drift back into the wilderness but the Covid knockout format has helped them massively as much as Horan's return. If the Super 8 returns they might find it that bit harder to go close again.

Its good though in a way that the Tyrone myth was exposed. For far too long there has been too many misconceptions about them. They regularly have been close to the 20 points or so necessary to win a game over the last 5/6 years. Sort of like Simeone's Atletico Madrid. Not in the least bit bothered about the public but compete come hell or high water. Killarney was blown out of proportion. They are a lot shrewder than that. Dooher/logan ought to have been there at least 2/3 years ago.

I wouldn't imagine them dominating the scene the next while. I like how they go about things but they ain't quite in the same bracket as Limerick hurlers and the competition is a little bit tighter. Congrats to them though. A very impressive All Ireland to have won.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Miccoli

I’ll agree with you that criticism of O’Shea is over the top and not warranted, he didn’t play particularly well on Saturday but there were far worse performing players on the Mayo team.

I can’t agree that calling this team bottlers is unfair though and I think Saturday put to bed the argument that the only reason they lost all those finals was because they were playing the GOAT team.

If you look at their series of games from 2015-2017 with Dublin they were in a great position to win all of them going into the last 10/15 minutes, but never did. A lot of the time their failure to win was through their own doing due to red cards, own goals, missed chances and goal keeping errors.

On Saturday they were favourites in pretty much everyone’s eyes yet there was only A handful of Mayo players who actually played to their maximum potential.

The best example of this is the midfield battle on Saturday. The common consensus was that Tyrones midfield was weak as they had been cleaned out by Kerry. Most Mayo fans had Ruane down as footballer of the year elect, yet it turned out that him and Loftus got cleaned out by the supposed weak Tyrone midfield. This was compounded by Loftus missing a host of chances and Ruane getting himself sent off.

If failing to get over the line when it’s clearly in sight as it was many years against Dublin , or the majority of your team playing below par when your clear favourites as Mayo were on Saturday isn’t bottling it, then I don’t know what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

Not sure what the colour of the boots have to do with it? What colour is acceptable in your opinion? Those same coloured boots didnt seem to affect his performance while Mayo beat Galway, again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Didn't wear them v galway or v Dublin... They were just for collecting Sam..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭dobman88

He did wear them v Galway. You can check if you like.

He was injured v Dublin and did not play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It has to be psychological. Dublin were known as a team of soft bottlers from about 2000-2010. Opposition fellas have said as much in programmes such as Laochra Gael often enough (which annoys me- but they are correct). Dublin had to be dragged over the line by that Kevin Mc goal in 2011 against the run of play.

And were lucky the way the 2011 game panned out Kerry had little time to recover again, and change from thier 'coasting' mindset. Cluxton wasted about 3 mins on that final kick and then the final whistle blew. Now that was only pressure of a 16 year wait for Dublin. God knows what a 70 year plus, wait is like!

It can't be coincidence that Mayo save thier best performances for AI Semi-Finals - Ok exclude bad luck in finals, it happens like in 1996. But how often have Mayo made a poor start in AI Finals and were chasing a game?? Pressure is just too much for Mayo. Commentators on Mid West Radio in an almost in a religious fervour most of the time - it is not just a game of ball for them. It is 'holy grail' stuff at this stage.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

Who is this Matt O'Connor? Former Leinster rugby coach?

Teams win All Ireland's, not individual players. Cillian O'Connor has delivered consistently in All Ireland Finals. That his team were not good enough to get the job done does not diminish individual performance.

Advertisement