Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭clohamon

Changes to the "Where are we working map" (may not correspond to Eircode search)

https://nbi.ie/where-are-we-working/

Changes in status.

Changes in connection date

New connection dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Curragh Camp DA has changed from January 2023 - December 2023 to April 2023 - June 2023. Still too far out to take any notice of, but at least it's a bit more granular.

We were surveyed in April, so at least the process has started.

As an aside; OpenEir were out checking poles last week. They removed all vegetation from the base of every pole (especially the ones embedded in hedges). I presume this was to asses the condition of the pole base and access the barcode. Probably not NBI related, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

We are in West Clare and that new map details say 2026. All hope is lost and im just going to get star link and forget all about this

• Registered Users Posts: 33,745 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can, imagine have free night time download that doesn't count to daily limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

2025 -2026 I assume? Same boat here in North Galway.

Hoping OpenEir's messaging on their website is right and will roll out FTTH here too. Likely will happen before NBI if it goes ahead.

At least we have a rough timeline now and yeah Starlink looks more and more the solution. My contract is up with Vodafone next March so will need to wait until then. If only starlink didnt cost 100 quid a month I'd just bite the bullet now. Will be paying an extra 70 quid a month with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

For my sins I went and spoke to the NBI guys at their kiosk in Tralee and asked them why the date on the site went from September to January. They tried telling me that September was never the go-live date, it was the date I was due to have a connection to the DP outside the house. The Nov -Jan date is the date for the actual go-live. If this is the case then it was terrible communication on the site but it sounds more like an excuse to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Crazy update for Ballycarney in Wexford, went from Jun-Aug 2022 to Feb-Apr 2023. I'm just barely inside the Wexford DA but wouldn't be surprised to see that go out too as all I've seen from NBI in the whole county since NBP was announced was the guy who surveyed my road in May 2020, ducting done in some places and an NBI van driving on the N11 around 4 months ago. We're supposed to be Network Build In Progress but hedges haven't even been trimmed back for prep for fibre cables being run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Could be a 4 year difference depending on what side of Tramore you're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 stephen.dunne

e2a: Strange, Manor Kilbride still showing April 2022 - June 2022

With all these dates, the only one you can trust is the one where you've actually gone live and have connectivity (then you sacrifice a chicken every week to sate K&N so it doesn't go down again !)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭clohamon

Fresh from his discussions with @Strettie11 , NBI CEO P.Hendrick and others will brief the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Transport and Communications.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/committees/schedule/?selecteddate=2021-09-15

Wednesday 15th September 12:30 pm CR2, 

Update on the rollout of the National Broadband Plan

Mr Peter Hendrick, Chief Executive Officer, NBI Infrastructure

Mr T.J. Malone, Chief Executive Officer, NBI Deployment

Ms Tara Collins, Chief Marketing Officer, NBI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

first update on my premises ever for NBI: Anticipated date for connection: January 2025 - December 2026

Saw openeir around a bit too so hopefully I'm part of that 200k, the checker says I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Dundalk DA gone from August-October 2021 to October-December 2021... gggrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Following on from my story where I missed the original NBI survey as I was building my house and didn't have an Eircode but I do now, the NBI fiber is live at my gate and my neighbours are getting connected now. NBI said it will be more than 2 years before they can get someone to push a button on a computer to say they can connect me, even though I could be connected tomorrow morning.

I emailed DECC and many emails to contactus@nbi.ie I eventually might have got some traction in that I know someone who is in contact with NBI for work and I called in a favor... They had access to the grown ups within the organization and I have got it escalated. I also got an email back from them saying that my case is with DECC so hopfully this whole issue of new builds being left behind might get sorted for people. As its crazy at the moment.

Keep ye posted

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭smiddyboy

Johnstown in North Kilkenny gone from July 2022 -> Dec 2022 to now Jan 2023 -> March 2023

With all the current delays it was wishful thinking that we would be getting connected any time next year.😥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

3rd Time I've been pushed out (east cork) now showing March to May 2022.

Only pushed out a few months, so that's something though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Orebro

This is all just truly shocking - after all the noise about speeding the process up it appears that what has happened is the exact opposite. I’m gone from survey underway Jan 23 to Dec 23, to survey planned Jan 23 to Dec 24 - like WTF are they at? Really wish someone in Gov would just grab this by the balls and take control, but unfortunately we’re stuck with sleepy Eamon 3G Ryan to sort it out.

I was massively against anything to do with it but I’m now beginning to think a subsidized Starlink program until you get fiber connected isn’t such a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Christ I've gone from no information at all to January 2025 - December 2026 (Donegal DA). At this stage I'd be better off kidnapping some KN boys and their vans and just forcing them to extend the openeir fibre the last 1KM to my house.

I'm definitely going to look into Starlink now. Imagine are holding up for now but once this news gets out in the area contention is probably going to slowly creep up til its unusable like three before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭NBAiii

Dero, I suspect it is NBI related. Unless eir have decided to do a mass pole replacement in your area, which seems unlikely.

ECO_Mental, I supect all Eircodes added to the NBI build would have to be approved first by DECC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

My eircode is included and approved by DECC as Im in the intervention zone, from what I make out is they do a survey of the houses in a Deployment Area and get that agreed with DECC the number of houses. They then crack on and get these connected, its just if you miss that initial survey they have no procedures in place to get your new house surveyed and added so they can connect you. I was told it could take 2 years...which is crazy since the DA is now live. The issue is now with DECC and I have some one looking after it within NBI as well. Hopfully this might force a procedure for new builds to be connected faster is a DA is already live.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Connection date December 2026 is that a pisstake, surely they should be prioritising areas with poor speeds. I have nova now and most nights I’m lucky to get 5mb

infact if you look at the map a lot of Cork is December 2026 are we a joke to you :(

• Advertisement

Unfortunately all of us still "Pending Survey" have been given that timeframe of 2025 - 2026. All we can do is hope this never ending talk of acceleration actually happens.

At least they have given us a rough rough date which is better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

by 2025 this will be redundant and they know it. Roll out now in areas that already have Multiple choice for connection and get paid This will all fall apart by end of 2023 and the areas that need this the most will still be neglected and relying on oversubscribed Mobile operators and Sat companies.

Id love fibre but realistically the only way out for us is Mobile operators to through up more masts and Comreg to release out all that unused spectrum to increase capacity and reduce contention. I think most people would be happy with a min stable speed of 20-30mbs no matter what time of day

Tbh I think I might go with starlink only issue is I need a phone line that nova provides atm. Who is the isp for starlink?

I agree with your analysis. I doubt the NBI plan will survive once the low hanging fruit is picked off. Indeed, when I was a city dweller, before buying my rural property, I thought it was the biggest waste of money imaginable. I thought it was an actual joke when first announced. Looking at it objectively, there is no value to ireland in spending thousands to run fibre a mile up my boreen to a handful of cottages, most of which are lived in by retirees. Throwing up masts, or subsidising the cost of connection to the new generation of low orbit communication satellites (Starlink right now, but more to come) would be a better way to go. And would solve the rural connectivity issue faster than December 2026.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dceng2

Was listening to Radio Kerry this morning when I heard an ad. for Ivertec. Talked about connecting up to 6000 homes in Kerry (circa. 3000 Tralee, circa. 3000 Killarney) with Gigabit Fibre Broadband through the National Broadband Plan from November. Whether that's pre-order or live order, they seem confident. I'll remain hesitant for now as I look out the Window and see no fibre cable yet (Killarney). That month would tie in with the anticipated connection date for both DA's though (November 21 - January 22) so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Seems something has happened out this way this morning, the coiled up duct is now up near the top of the pole and sheathed for protection, dp's are imminent I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

Yep, Macroom is the same. Utterly useless this crowd 🙄

wouldnt a sensible option be to have isp resell starlink and install it?

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭CptMonkey

It’s fairly depressing. I’m having trouble with Netflix some nights now.

• Advertisement

Sorry but this post shows you need to read up more on how the actual rollout works, why they have picked certain exchanges to start from (and why a lot are built out from City's).

Also the mention of "just get mobile operators to throw up more masts" also shows you need to learn why that wont work, number of masts needed and costs.

20-30Mb is fine for now, but is not future proof and would be another round peg in square hole solution.

The NBI has plenty of faults (lack of transparency, poor communication, slow rollout) and no one is happy to hear of a 2026 connection but if you want to criticise them, do some research first.

Advertisement